Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 06:57 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,289,753 times

Advertisements

The “Conservatives Are Crazy” Study - Byron York - National Review Online

Another study confirming the previous:

Is Political Conservatism a Mild Form of Insanity? | Psychology Today

It explains why some people say what they do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 06:59 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Actually money for those studies was funneled into another far more worthy government scientific study, so they might not be very accurate conclusions...

Scientists figure out why flies like beer | SignOnSanDiego.com

Old 11-17-2011, 07:01 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,861,475 times
A Methodology Critique in Defense of Those Wascally Wepublicans | Iron Shrink

Quote:
One of the more controversial assertions in the federally funded work is the authors’ argument that Hitler, Mussolini, Reagan, and Limbaugh share common traits as conservatives. “One is justified in referring to Hitler, Mussolini, Reagan, and Limbaugh as right-wing conservatives,” the authors write in a published adjunct to the study, “not because they share an opposition to ‘big government’ or a mythical, romanticized view of Aryan purity — they did not share these specific attitudes — but because they all preached a return to an idealized past and favored or condoned inequality in some form.”
This is my favorite part. How many nutjobs have preached progress to an idealized future and condoned equality in some form

You people are ridiculous. You can't possibly fathom an ideology other than your own, that's apparent, but to conduct a BS study to paint people who disagree with you as clinically insane is a new low, even for you.

I say again what I've said before - nothing is more dogmatic than modern day liberalism.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:02 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,130,599 times
"The authors describe their work as an examination of “the hypotheses that political conservatism is significantly associated with (1) mental rigidity and closed-mindedness, including (a) increased dogmatism and intolerance of ambiguity, (b) decreased cognitive complexity, (c) decreased openness to experience, (d) uncertainty avoidance, (e) personal needs for order and structure, and (f) need for cognitive closure; (2) lowered self-esteem; (3) fear, anger, and aggression; (4) pessimism, disgust, and contempt….We have argued that these motives are in fact related to one another psychologically, and our motivated social-cognitive perspective helps to integrate them.”

Sounds pretty accurate to me.

Mind you I think they are fudging quite a bit to attribute these things to conservatives in general. A mere conservative may exhibit none of these aspects, but I think it describes your average authoritarian right wing loony pretty well, and more than a few of them on this board. But hey, those guys really aren't conservatives, they're fascists.

Lots of nice, logical, intelligent conservatives out there. Sadly they have lost control of their party to people who fit the profile above.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:08 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,638,810 times
Well, if the Federal Government says so...

Wonder how long before this reaches my grade schooler's public school text book as honest-to-goodness, not to be disputed, PEER REVIEWED study, FACT?

Old 11-17-2011, 07:11 PM

7,814 posts, read 6,392,163 times
If anything, they're crazy for allowing people to waste their money on such nonsense.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:12 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
If anything, this validates the conservative view that government is too large and wastes too much money, and thus we shouldnt be paying so much in taxes.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:16 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
I wonder who wasted all that money on stupidity... I see stupid articles all the time filled with propaganda and political bias... one more article isn't even going to catch my eye... a liberal's eye maybe... they believe in that kind of ideological stupidity and don't even know it...

Old 11-17-2011, 07:18 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post

Do you know who Byron York is? Do you know that when those fools used anything Krugman ever wrote they opened themselves up as what they are?

I think you have been had but then keep on thinking that York was writing something serious.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:18 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,289,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I wonder who wasted all that money on stupidity... I see stupid articles all the time filled with propaganda and political bias... one more article isn't even going to catch my eye... a liberal's eye maybe... they believe in that kind of ideological stupidity and don't even know it...
The study was funded during the Bush years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies