U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-18-2011, 09:35 AM
 
37,072 posts, read 38,307,603 times
Reputation: 14835

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
So? If we are not involved in a WW we do not need to keep a huge active duty military.
At this point we can have less because of expensive technology but you cannot rely on that alone. You can't produce a well trained fighting force overnight, that's part of the reason Germany ran over so many European nations during the outset of WW2. They had technologically superior weapons of war and a very large well trained forced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-18-2011, 09:35 AM
 
15,393 posts, read 8,689,175 times
Reputation: 13778
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
It says the Gov is responsible for the National Defense. Corperations with the best tech to do that get the sales. ergo Goverment invests in research.....
COMMUNIST governments "invest" in research.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2011, 09:37 AM
 
15,393 posts, read 8,689,175 times
Reputation: 13778
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Military invasion is not the only riske to our country. The fact that you buy most of a necessity from other countries is a risk to our country. We need to be self sufficient on necessities.
Off topic. But the fact is our offshore manufacturing is affecting us. But energy technology is NOT what causes that. Over regulation and high taxes do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2011, 09:37 AM
 
12,439 posts, read 9,956,434 times
Reputation: 3129
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
At this point we can have less because of expensive technology but you cannot rely on that alone. You can't produce a well trained fighting force overnight, that's part of the reason Germany ran over so many European nations during the outset of WW2. They had technologically superior weapons of war and a very large well trained forced.
This was before the advent of Nuclear weapons. If we are invaded by any country, we can make them glass in a matter of minutes. We don't need as large of a military for defense. The only reason for a large military at this point in time is for offense, which we should stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2011, 09:38 AM
 
7,573 posts, read 4,058,058 times
Reputation: 2875
True, I saw functional research on plasma displays at a military research center as far back as mid 1970s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Probably no different than we are now.

Many of our scientific advances came from military research and applications.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2011, 09:53 AM
 
37,072 posts, read 38,307,603 times
Reputation: 14835
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
This was before the advent of Nuclear weapons. If we are invaded by any country, we can make them glass in a matter of minutes. We don't need as large of a military for defense. The only reason for a large military at this point in time is for offense, which we should stop.
The French put all their eggs in one basket building the Maginot line, see how well that worked out? You're assumption is that nuclear weapons will be effective into the future and be used which is false, missile defense systems are reality. It's no longer "Star Wars"....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2011, 10:07 AM
 
Location: Missouri
3,722 posts, read 2,974,785 times
Reputation: 1606
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
If all the money spent on wars/actions taken in the interests of getting/protecting our oil supply...
... not to obtain oil. You are wrong. The reason is more primal: the biggest, baddest bull gets all of the cows.

Exertion of our will on the rest of the world is costly, but it produces benefits. If not, then why make the effort?

I think that exertion can be done with less money, but I still want us to swing our d!cks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2011, 10:10 AM
 
386 posts, read 178,335 times
Reputation: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
If all the money spent on wars/actions taken in the interests of getting/protecting our oil supply had been spent on alternative energy advancement, how far do you think we'd be in using alternative sources?
3mm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2011, 10:17 AM
 
Location: Fort Worth, TX
9,397 posts, read 13,241,741 times
Reputation: 6219
The military actually does quite a bit of energy research. We had a Navy Lieutenant come in to my physics class yesterday to talk about some of the projects the Navy is undertaking to become greener. It's pretty damn ambitious, and unlike the private sector they don't have to worry about turning a profit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2011, 10:18 AM
 
Location: Minnysoda
8,016 posts, read 8,086,666 times
Reputation: 4731
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
So? If we are not involved in a WW we do not need to keep a huge active duty military. Besides most of the increase in military spending has problem been from paying the military industrial complex.
We do not have a huge active duty military.You do realize that the majority of our currently deployed ground troops are not from the standing military but rather the Nationel Guard and Army Reserve units
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top