Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2011, 08:16 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times

Advertisements

Folks..capital gains(loss) tax is paid once you SELL the investment.
Folks will just start borrowing against the stock rather than sell it.

There is always a loophole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2011, 08:17 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,328,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
For the middle class investors, capital gains will be lowered to 10%, the rich will have their capital gains raised to 50%. Thoughts?
I'm for raising capital gains. Period. For everyone. Maybe that will discourage speculative bubbles.

Old 11-19-2011, 08:22 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,942,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Folks..capital gains(loss) tax is paid once you SELL the investment.
Folks will just start borrowing against the stock rather than sell it.

There is always a loophole.
Eliminate the loopholes. Most of those loopholes seem to involve reinvesting the actual gain, which goes against the conservative argument that it will stop investment. They argue out of both sides of their mouth.

Old 11-19-2011, 08:23 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,564,313 times
I'd have to look it up, but I'm 95% certain that JFK cut the top tax rate on personal income from 91% to 70%.

If you do raise the capital gains tax rate to 50%, millions of gazillionaires will simply not declare capital gains until that rate is reduced; the chances of an absurd increase such as that bringing increased revenue into the US Treasury are ZERO.

Old 11-19-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Eliminate the loopholes. Most of those loopholes seem to involve reinvesting the actual gain, which goes against the conservative argument that it will stop investment. They argue out of both sides of their mouth.
Has Congress once mentioned changing the tax code ?
It won't change..the lobbyists are too powerful and money talks and citizens don't have the money to sway decisions made by our government.

That's just reality hotair2. You need to find a way to survive by playing with their rules.

Old 11-19-2011, 08:28 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,077,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
You cant reinvest actual gain until you cash out of your previous one, and that doesnt happen with a high tax rate.

Old 11-19-2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Has Congress once mentioned changing the tax code ?
It won't change..the lobbyists are too powerful and money talks and citizens don't have the money to sway decisions made by our government.

That's just reality hotair2. You need to find a way to survive by playing with their rules.
Parts of the tax code are changed yearly mostly to the benefit of the super wealthy. In the 60's and 70's it was used as a policy tool to encourage one thing or discourage another. Now it is just used to make sure the wealthy are able to keep more of their money while still giving the illusion that they are paying their fair share.

I play by the rules. I just am working to change the rules to even the playing field. I have not played monopoly in a long time, but when I did play we all started off even. I never played a game where when I started there was a hotel on every property and it belonged to everyone else. Why would anyone want to play that game?

Old 11-19-2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
You cant reinvest actual gain until you cash out of your previous one, and that doesnt happen with a high tax rate.
Too many in this thread don't understand capital gains yet they have all these ideas to "change it". Go figure.

Old 11-19-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Too many in this thread don't understand capital gains yet they have all these ideas to "change it". Go figure.
Many do. The argument is that people will just not take any capital gains because they will just reinvest it....Well doesn't that go against conservatives that say that it will kill investment. Actually based on what conservatives are saying on this thread it would actually stimulate investment.

The other argument is that they are just going to find another way around it so whey even bother. We have crimes against theft, but people still steal daily, why have any of those laws. I mean people still steal. The point is that we want to discourage it.

Old 11-19-2011, 08:59 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,744,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
For the middle class investors, capital gains will be lowered to 10%, the rich will have their capital gains raised to 50%. Thoughts?
If you want to stop virtually all economic activity, this is a splendid way to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies