Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 06:05 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
Right now they don't pay enough. You're suggesting (sarcastically) that the solution is they should pay too much. It's really not that difficult to find middle ground, and set capital gains the same rate as wages.
You didnt for a second ever think that wage taxes are TOO HIGH, did you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 06:08 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,743,975 times
No, keep the tax at the current 15% rate. I'm unemployede now and I'm trying to make money in stocks too. If my profits were taxed 50% I'd consider investing not worth my time and risk.

They should find other ways to tax the rich more, but not through stock profits. There are lots of small time investors too, like me!

Old 11-18-2011, 06:13 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,777,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
For the middle class investors, capital gains will be lowered to 10%, the rich will have their capital gains raised to 50%. Thoughts?
The first thing is 250K is not rich trust me on that if someone makes 20K a person that is making 80K looks rich. Now being a landlord when I buy a rental property to rent I take into account my exit strategy and that is where capital gains comes in. If you have a house that you estimate will be worth 150k in 5 years when you want to sell that loss in capital gains will need to be made up in that 5 years so you have to raise the rent.

Not sure you understand how to invest in rental property but the more I get taxed the more I have to pass on to the end user and that is with every business. So how is that helping that guy that only makes 50k

Old 11-18-2011, 07:50 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,947,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
No, keep the tax at the current 15% rate. I'm unemployede now and I'm trying to make money in stocks too. If my profits were taxed 50% I'd consider investing not worth my time and risk.

They should find other ways to tax the rich more, but not through stock profits. There are lots of small time investors too, like me!
Well he said gains ABOVE 250K. I am assuming everything below that would be at 15%. Is it still not worth your time?

Old 11-19-2011, 04:43 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
There are those that will say this will stop investment, which is hogwash. The very rich will either have to stuff their money in mattresses or the will have to invest. Those are the only two choices.

Or just put it in a savings account. Why take the risk with an investment if the gvmt is going to take 1/2 the profit.

Old 11-19-2011, 04:45 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tworent View Post
The first thing is 250K is not rich trust me on that if someone makes 20K a person that is making 80K looks rich. Now being a landlord when I buy a rental property to rent I take into account my exit strategy and that is where capital gains comes in. If you have a house that you estimate will be worth 150k in 5 years when you want to sell that loss in capital gains will need to be made up in that 5 years so you have to raise the rent.

Not sure you understand how to invest in rental property but the more I get taxed the more I have to pass on to the end user and that is with every business. So how is that helping that guy that only makes 50k

Or worse, you cant raise rents because the market dosnt have room for it. So you dont even bother buying it in the first place.

Old 11-19-2011, 05:11 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
How about just taxing capital gains at the same rate as actual earned income?

Why should my labor be taxed higher than than the return on my investments?

The money used to invest has already been taxed as income.

Old 11-19-2011, 05:13 AM

1,715 posts, read 4,777,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
There are those that will say this will stop investment, which is hogwash. The very rich will either have to stuff their money in mattresses or the will have to invest. Those are the only two choices.
Or 3 invest Overseas
Do you have any idea on how to invest, investing is not making someone else pay your way

Old 11-19-2011, 05:19 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Well, $250,000 is too low of a number if you're going to have excessive rates like that. Bump is up to $750,000 so you capture the rich, and not the middle class in some areas.

But the real question is why have progressive taxes? Encourage short-term risky investments by flattening out the tax rates. Keep the money flowing faster... rather than slower in long-term investments.

Old 11-19-2011, 05:26 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,947,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
The thoughts is that we'd end up with a bunch of rich people not cashing in their gains and rolling them over, thus you'd get ZERO tax revenues
The capital gains rate used to be 39.9% and it didn't do anything like what you predict. I don't know what you mean by "roll over" but once you sell a stock, even if you buy another stock, you pay taxes on the gains of the first.

Anyway, everybody can have their own theories but what do the people who study this say?
Quote:
According to the Center for Budget and Policy Priorities :

Cutting capital gains rates reduces revenues over the long run. That’s the conclusion of the federal government’s official revenue-estimating agencies, as well as outside experts and the Bush Administration’s own Treasury Department.

AND

While a capital gains tax cut can lead investors to rush to “cash in” their capital gains when the lower rate first takes effect, it does not raise revenue over the long run.

AND

Middle-income families derive only a miniscule benefit from the 2003 cuts in capital gains and dividends.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies