Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 11:58 AM

2,674 posts, read 4,391,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Many in the Black community have a high tolerance for criminal behavior and violence I suspect he is one them.
Team Ed- not sure if you're just loopy from staying up all night to see the midnight screening of 'Twilight'.

I hve no tolerance for violence from any race. The issue is a university's response that could jeopardize these girls' future.

Many schools have University Police so these things can be handled- punishment, judgement- internally. They realize that while over 18- their students are still kids and stupid transgresssions (of which this was horrific) should not define their adult life which they haven't yet began.

Are you a part of the Black community Ed? - point blank
Do you consider yourself Black?
Because your comments come across as a race-baiting, self-hatred.

Last edited by GreyDay; 11-18-2011 at 12:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 01:35 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
When did expelling students from school, or firing people from work for that matter, for being violent become a controversy?

This is fine with me.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:43 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
Team Ed- not sure if you're just loopy from staying up all night to see the midnight screening of 'Twilight'.

I hve no tolerance for violence from any race. The issue is a university's response that could jeopardize these girls' future.
You seem to think fighting and scalding someone with boiling water is not enough to throw someone out of school for. So I'd say you have a pretty high tolerance for violence.

She jeopardized her future by participating in a petty dispute with someone she is living with. An adult would have apologized for using the dish and left it at that. Also her GPA suggests she is not taking her schooling seriously anyway.

Quote:
Many schools have University Police so these things can be handled- punishment, judgement- internally.
They handled it internally she has been thrown off campus until further notice and they reported the incident to the police. The DA has decided that there has been a violation of the law and has decided to prosecute. What's your problem?

Quote:
They realize that while over 18- their students are still kids and stupid transgresssions (of which this was horrific) should not define their adult life which they haven't yet began.
Well actually that's where you are wrong, as usual. The actions we do at 18 can and do have a lifetime impact on our future lives. She is not immune. She is an adult and will be treated as such.

Quote:
Are you a part of the Black community Ed? - point blank
Do you consider yourself Black?
Because your comments come across as a race-baiting, self-hatred.
It's not about me. I'm Black what else can i consider myself as? Again I'm not a part of this violent, regressive culture many Black Americans seem committed to so in that regard no I'm not a part of the Black community. I surround myself with positive people doing good things, many of them Black from various backgrounds.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:48 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,391,971 times
Quote:
You seem to think fighting and scalding someone with boiling water is not enough to throw someone out of school for. So I'd say you have a pretty high tolerance for violence.

She jeopardized her future by participating in a petty dispute with someone she is living with. An adult would have apologized for using the dish and left it at that. Also her GPA suggests she is not taking her schooling seriously anyway.

They handled it internally she has been thrown off campus until further notice and they reported the incident to the police. The DA has decided that there has been a violation of the law and has decided to prosecute. What's your problem?

Well actually that's where you are wrong, as usual. The actions we do at 18 can and do have a lifetime impact on our future lives. She is not immune. She is an adult and will be treated as such.

It's not about me. I'm Black what else can i consider myself as? Again I'm not a part of this violent, regressive culture many Black Americans seem committed to so in that regard no I'm not a part of the Black community. I surround myself with positive people doing good things, many of them Black from various backgrounds.
Maybe we went to different types of colleges. At my schools anything of this nature would've been handled internally- both to prevent bad press and protect the students. College is supposed to be a protective, insulating, hell, coddling environment. Kids are emotional, away from home for the first time, learning how to be adults.

I would've expected more from the administration at Howard for one, 'our Harvard' as Vernon Jordan wrote in his autobiography.

That said, maybe the girl really is just 2.7 material. It's average. Everyone can't achieve on a high level.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:55 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
A few people have been shot in and around Howard University recently, putting the school in the headlines. Considering black-on-black crime has been at horrific levels for years on end, it doesn't bode well for a historically black university to degenerate into this type of activity. Zero-tolerance is the only way to go.....4.0 GPA's are irrelevant.
All well and good but wouldn't the wounds on the girl's face indicate that she had been hit and maybe both girls should be on the outside looking in.

I wonder how many people attached black on black with the school name Howard. Probably not many knew it till you said it.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:56 PM

488 posts, read 554,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
Two roommates were involved in a physical dorm fight and now they are not allowed back on campus.

The fight is fairly egregious. But to effectively stop a student's education is more problematic to me. The university has a loco parentis obligation which it seems they just passed on to the local police.
Act right while you are on campus and there should be no problem. These are adults. The job of college is not to be your mommy and daddy and make sure you stay out of trouble. If you act stupid in places in the real world they have every right to say they don't want you back there. I say good for the university for not allowing violent criminals on campus!

Old 11-18-2011, 01:58 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
She has a 2.7 GPA and is Pre-Med, she should be banned from school on that basis alone in my opinion.

Howard University student argues self-defense in altercation with roommate - The Washington Post
Heheheee...so you're the Dean at Howard now? LMAO...hilarious.

Sitting on C-D issuing academic probations to paying students. GTFOH.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I wanted to agree with this as well. Most HBCUs are near areas with high crimes. Also the majority of colleges with high crime rates near them are not HBCUs. HBCUs are represented amongst colleges/universities in regards to crime but many prestigious universities in the US are including:

1.Tufts
2.Harvard
3.Rutgers

And other Ivy League, nationally renowned schools, as well as distinguished HBCU institutions (inlcuding Howard).

50 Most Dangerous Colleges
Your link shows a small crime rate at Howard and still rates them at number 7 of the most deadly. That is something.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:59 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Heheheee...so you're the Dean at Howard now? LMAO...hilarious.

Sitting on C-D issuing academic probations to paying students. GTFOH.
Well you go to a 2.7 GPA doctor I'll take my chances elsewhere.

Old 11-18-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Agreed.
But why not both girls? It is hard to have a fight with just one person involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies