U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 03:04 PM

44,924 posts, read 27,199,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Did the OP actually argue that students cannot be expelled for bad behavior?

Why the hell not?

Throw the bums out.
I say you are right but in this case they threw the bum out and allowed the other bum to remain. Do you know how a fight breaks out with only one person involved?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 03:06 PM

44,924 posts, read 27,199,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
When did expelling students from school, or firing people from work for that matter, for being violent become a controversy?

This is fine with me.
It would be fine with me if both the girls had been kicked out, but that is not what happened according to the link.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:07 PM

4,749 posts, read 3,481,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
Howard University Student Banned From Campus Following Dorm Room Fight (http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/local/howard-university-student-banned-from-campus-following-dorm-room-fight-111611?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=facebook# .TsUKfJCehs8.facebook - broken link)

Two roommates were involved in a physical dorm fight and now they are not allowed back on campus.

The fight is fairly egregious. But to effectively stop a student's education is more problematic to me. The university has a loco parentis obligation which it seems they just passed on to the local police.
A lot of schools would not ban the students, but Howard University's policy apparently makes that almost mandatory in the wake of such an event. My guess is that Howard U has dealt with violence before and is simply tired of dealing with it.

I can understand that sometimes, life happens, and young people, even seemingly ordinary people, do get into fisticuffs over things that begin as trivial. Most of the time, these incidents are minor and don't result in serious injuries, but a fight can easily end in tragedy ,and Howard doesn't want to make headlines for that reason. Hence the zero tolerance policy.

It's probably not always a realistic policy, but that's just the way it is. The student will have to finish her studies elsewhere.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:25 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,616,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I say you are right but in this case they threw the bum out and allowed the other bum to remain. Do you know how a fight breaks out with only one person involved?
I'd take issue with calling them 'bums'. They are still college students. They/she acted stupidly. Worse things have been dealt with quietly at many other schools. But for the flagship HBCU to not be able to contain this is the real problem.

It was probably at the Towers which is a pseudo-dorm at best.

Why am I the only person that went to a college where this would've lead to DPS grabbing you, parents being called in and a very serious meeting in the vice provost office about whether you wanted to have a future at all vs. being read Miranda rights. If this would've happened at my undergrad, parents would've gone apesheet crazy.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:44 PM

7,901 posts, read 8,659,408 times
Quote:
"The police report says Jeffries, in self defense, grabbed hot water and threw it on her roommate."

That's aggravated battery, not simple battery.

Her lawyer claims the expelled one was acting in self-defense, who knows.

We don't have all the evidence, so there are lots of possibilities to explain this discrepancy.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:48 PM

7,901 posts, read 8,659,408 times
Quote:
It would be fine with me if both the girls had been kicked out, but that is not what happened according to the link.
We don't have enough evidence to come to any such conclusion, Roy.

Newspaper articles often leave out legally relevant details. Journalists are lazy.

EDIT: For all we know, the expelled one started the fight by throwing the hot water.

This article only tells her side of the story. How can you come to conclusions on so little information?

Old 11-18-2011, 04:01 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,616,140 times
It is hard to fight by yourself...

Old 11-19-2011, 12:27 AM

25,165 posts, read 47,437,169 times
It's a blessing in disguise. Colleges are completely worthless these days.

Old 11-19-2011, 12:56 AM

3,951 posts, read 3,598,196 times
Good.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:54 AM

47,314 posts, read 24,843,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Well you go to a 2.7 GPA doctor I'll take my chances elsewhere.
My Doctor is great....haven't a clue as to what his GPA was. And if you tell me that you know the GPA of your family doctor i will get right on this forum and call you a liar....forum rules be damned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies