Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 07:48 AM

2,674 posts, read 4,393,819 times

Advertisements

Howard University Student Banned From Campus Following Dorm Room Fight (http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/local/howard-university-student-banned-from-campus-following-dorm-room-fight-111611?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=facebook# .TsUKfJCehs8.facebook - broken link)

Two roommates were involved in a physical dorm fight and now they are not allowed back on campus.

The fight is fairly egregious. But to effectively stop a student's education is more problematic to me. The university has a loco parentis obligation which it seems they just passed on to the local police.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 07:53 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
A few people have been shot in and around Howard University recently, putting the school in the headlines. Considering black-on-black crime has been at horrific levels for years on end, it doesn't bode well for a historically black university to degenerate into this type of activity. Zero-tolerance is the only way to go.....4.0 GPA's are irrelevant.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:00 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Wanted to state that this being Howard or any other HBCU makes no difference. Both of the students should be kicked out. This girl threw hot water on her her roommate. That is assault. Though the roommate also attacked this student, it makes no difference. She should have called security or left the dorm room. If this has been ongoing, she should have requested a roommate change or went and stayed with another friend in the dorm.

My suite mate in college (I stayed in a suite with 4 girls, we all shared a bathroom) was notorious for getting into arguments/fights with her roommate when I was a freshman in college. I stayed out of it. The suite mate when through 3 different roommates. When she would get aggressive with them, they would leave, either sleep in the room with my roommate and I or go find another friend to bunk with for the night. This was brought to the attention of our RA and my suitemate was then made to pay for a single room. Luckily it never escalated to physical violence but this girl was very loud. The university dealt with it well. This student should have taken her grievances to her RA or resident director so that the situation would not have escalated like it did.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
A few people have been shot in and around Howard University recently, putting the school in the headlines. Considering black-on-black crime has been at horrific levels for years on end, it doesn't bode well for a historically black university to degenerate into this type of activity. Zero-tolerance is the only way to go.....4.0 GPA's are irrelevant.
The area around Howard is D.C. proper, not the campus. So someone being shot around the University could just be a GDI with no university attachment. People are killed around Johns-Hopkins as well in Baltimore, but not on campus proper.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:56 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
The area around Howard is D.C. proper, not the campus. So someone being shot around the University could just be a GDI with no university attachment. People are killed around Johns-Hopkins as well in Baltimore, but not on campus proper.

I wanted to agree with this as well. Most HBCUs are near areas with high crimes. Also the majority of colleges with high crime rates near them are not HBCUs. HBCUs are represented amongst colleges/universities in regards to crime but many prestigious universities in the US are including:

1.Tufts
2.Harvard
3.Rutgers

And other Ivy League, nationally renowned schools, as well as distinguished HBCU institutions (inlcuding Howard).

50 Most Dangerous Colleges

Old 11-18-2011, 09:05 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
Howard University Student Banned From Campus Following Dorm Room Fight (http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/local/howard-university-student-banned-from-campus-following-dorm-room-fight-111611?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=facebook# .TsUKfJCehs8.facebook - broken link)

Two roommates were involved in a physical dorm fight and now they are not allowed back on campus.

The fight is fairly egregious. But to effectively stop a student's education is more problematic to me. The university has a loco parentis obligation which it seems they just passed on to the local police.
She has a 2.7 GPA and is Pre-Med, she should be banned from school on that basis alone in my opinion.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...d=pm_local_pop
Quote:
While the case is pending, Jeffries’s attorneys are trying to get the pre-med student, who has a 2.7 cumulative grade-point average, back into school. Since the incident, Howard has forbade her from returning to campus or even to sit in on classes via the Web, according to one of Jeffries’s attorneys, Cynthia Goode Works. Goode Works says Jeffries should be allowed to return to class at least until a verdict is returned in her case.

Last edited by EdwardA; 11-18-2011 at 09:14 AM..

Old 11-18-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Wanted to state that this being Howard or any other HBCU makes no difference. Both of the students should be kicked out. This girl threw hot water on her her roommate. That is assault. Though the roommate also attacked this student, it makes no difference. She should have called security or left the dorm room. If this has been ongoing, she should have requested a roommate change or went and stayed with another friend in the dorm.

My suite mate in college (I stayed in a suite with 4 girls, we all shared a bathroom) was notorious for getting into arguments/fights with her roommate when I was a freshman in college. I stayed out of it. The suite mate when through 3 different roommates. When she would get aggressive with them, they would leave, either sleep in the room with my roommate and I or go find another friend to bunk with for the night. This was brought to the attention of our RA and my suitemate was then made to pay for a single room. Luckily it never escalated to physical violence but this girl was very loud. The university dealt with it well. This student should have taken her grievances to her RA or resident director so that the situation would not have escalated like it did.
It makes a difference there have been a rash of fights that have resulted in deaths in the DC and Maryland area among Black girls, I think only one was not at a HBCU.
A lot of the crime at non-HBCUs is in fact committed by Blacks like today's armed robbery of a U of Maryland student.
U.Md. student robbed at knifepoint outside Cecil Hall residence - Crime Scene - The Washington Post

Quote:
A University of Maryland student was robbed at knifepoint Thursday in what university police say is the first on-campus robbery in more than a year.

Police issued descriptions of the suspects, who are still at large.
One suspect is described as a black man, 6 feet tall, medium build, unknown age, with dreadlocks, and wearing black ski pants, a black shirt and a face mask.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:13 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,474,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I wanted to agree with this as well. Most HBCUs are near areas with high crimes. Also the majority of colleges with high crime rates near them are not HBCUs. HBCUs are represented amongst colleges/universities in regards to crime but many prestigious universities in the US are including:

1.Tufts
2.Harvard
3.Rutgers

And other Ivy League, nationally renowned schools, as well as distinguished HBCU institutions (inlcuding Howard).

50 Most Dangerous Colleges
Whoa. Harvard is #2? 128 forced rapes? WTF. Lol that doesn't make any sense. I guess the black students must be working overtime there.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
Whoa. Harvard is #2? 128 forced rapes? WTF. Lol that doesn't make any sense. I guess the black students must be working overtime there.
Actually.

Quote:
Jabrai J. Copney, 20, a suspect in the May 18 Kirkland House shooting that left a Cambridge resident dead, pleaded not guilty to five charges, including first-degree murder, at his Middlesex Superior Court arraignment Wednesday morning.

Copney, who was kept out of view during the arraignment, will continue to be held without bail and is scheduled to appear in Superior Court again on Sept. 10. His defense attorney, J. W. Carney, Jr. said after the arraignment that further hearings will likely take place before the trial, and that more evidence may be exchanged between the prosecution and defense at the hearings. Carney said he expects the trial to begin in September or October of 2010.

Suspect in Harvard Shooting Pleads Not Guilty to All Charges | News | The Harvard Crimson

http://gawker.com/5279075/lets-talk-...urder-and-race

Old 11-18-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
It makes a difference there have been a rash of fights that have resulted in deaths in the DC and Maryland area among Black girls, I think only one was not at a HBCU.
A lot of the crime at non-HBCUs is in fact committed by Blacks like today's armed robbery of a U of Maryland student.
U.Md. student robbed at knifepoint outside Cecil Hall residence - Crime Scene - The Washington Post
Did you go to Howard or any other brand-name university?

You obliterate any confidence by posting as an 'African born Black in America' then heartlessly ripping into all American Blacks. You're flying a false flag or just not very educated. Also the generic dreadlocked black guy who robbed the student- was he rocking a U-MD hoodie or was his ID on a lanyard? He probably wasn't a student.

Blacks commit alot of crimes, there, I said it. We won't even get into the selective prosecution argument. Please don't spend the rest of your life campaigning against the evils of all Black Americans.

Also, you have no standing to speak on who should and shouldn't become a physician. Are you a physician, a Phd? Do you hold a terminal degree? Have you been through the admissions process? If not, it's all hearsay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies