U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 01:57 PM

27,993 posts, read 19,657,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
The ONLY reason there are people, mainly Progressives, supporting the idea of NOT owning a home is because they truly believe the people should NOT own anything. It should be owned by the government and rented to us serfs. That's all this is about, they are trying to spread this myth so when the government owns all housing we will be lead to think it is for our own good.

What an utter, unfounded, fallacious pile of manure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 03:01 PM

33,325 posts, read 14,553,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Let's say I make $60,000 a year and lose my job to outsourcing or whatever.

If I want to maintain that income (or make more) I'm going to need to be flexible with where I live. Some may want to travel 2 hours to a job that will keep them in the same income level but then you have to factor in travel cost, lost time due to traveling, etc...

If I own a home that's pretty much my only option unless I can find someone to rent that home out. That's entirely possible. A lot of folks are upside down on their mortgages though.

Renting doesn't lock you into a mortgage and then two years later, before you have any real equity, you lose your job and you're forced to find something that can still pay your bills.

Using your retirement to get yourself out of a bind is a big no no and if you ask me just plain stupid. Pour your retirement into a home that you're underwater on or in a depressed market just seems M.A.D. when you have the option not to lock yourself into a home and rent. Sure you're "throwing" your money away. At least you don't have to lose your retirement (which a home is not a retirement plan anymore) just to keep afloat.
Most renters sign a long term lease. So much for your first assertion.

You are acting as though the current financial situation were are in is how it has been throughout our history. It isn't. And we will come out of it.

Over time real estate has proven to be a very good investment.

After you have rented for 40 years what do you have to show for it but, a bunch of worthless returned checks?

Hey, if you would rather rent then buy, go for it. That is your choice and I respect it. But, don't try to tell me and others NO ONE should buy and it is stupid.

Old 11-21-2011, 03:06 PM

33,325 posts, read 14,553,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Yes, but can you afford the down payment, school taxes and other related fees that come with home ownership.
You do realize the owner of the properties pays those taxes and passes those costs to the renters.

I saved for 5 years before I could afford my down payment. Big deal. Too many people demand instant gratification today and are not willing to make any sacrifices to better themselves.

Old 11-21-2011, 03:13 PM

417 posts, read 300,246 times
Nothing wrong with smart homeownership. By that I mean buying a home within your means, and paying it off as quickly as possible. All you have to worry about then is running costs such as utilities, cable, and then property taxes.

Not owning a home means renting, and renting means an indefinite payment that never ends.

Old 11-21-2011, 03:35 PM

25,832 posts, read 49,727,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
The homeowners of California have exhibited NO desire to end the unfair "welcome stranger!" property tax system of Proposition 13. Likewise, zoning isn't going anywhere anytime soon.
Your data isn't accurate...

I bought my California Home 6 years ago and pay much more in taxes then those buying in my neighborhood today...

Definitely the new comers are benefiting buying homes for as much as 70% discount as to those that came just 5 years ago...

The welcome mat is definitely out and my heart of the Bay city of Oakland has sponsored many programs for strangers... First Time Home Buyer Programs, Police, Fire and Teacher path to Home Ownership, etc.

Every major lender was required to make loans available to those of modest means...

As to Prop 13... the Supreme Court of the United States has found the law does not provide unequal treatment.

Each Home is taxed based on the value at the time of transfer... plus voter approved special assessments...

Old 11-21-2011, 03:36 PM

4,260 posts, read 2,856,987 times
Cant one just file for an abatement?

Old 11-21-2011, 04:27 PM

27,903 posts, read 33,429,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Most renters sign a long term lease. So much for your first assertion.
Long term like as in 6 - 24 months. I don't think you know what you're even trying to confer here. All have a clause so that you can get out of them with proper notice and maybe a payback of concessions and a first and last months rent, at worst.

Quote:
You are acting as though the current financial situation were are in is how it has been throughout our history. It isn't. And we will come out of it.
No, I'm saying just the opposite. Most of the older people alive were able to buy homes and have them for a very long time and reap the benefits of selling them 100's of percentage points higher than what they paid for them. They could do that because they were secure in their jobs and would most likely have 1-4 jobs their entire working careers.

Quote:
Over time real estate has proven to be a very good investment.
Yes, it always will be (as long as you can have a job close to it).

Quote:
After you have rented for 40 years what do you have to show for it but, a bunch of worthless returned checks?
If you bounce checks for your rent you'll bounce checks for your mortgage. I don't understand what you're trying to get at.

Quote:
Hey, if you would rather rent then buy, go for it. That is your choice and I respect it. But, don't try to tell me and others NO ONE should buy and it is stupid.
I never said anything of the sort. What I have said is that motels, hotels, rentals, condos and homes all have their places and the proper role for housing is to have a wide range of choices so that people can customize to their liking/situations.

Old 11-21-2011, 04:30 PM

27,903 posts, read 33,429,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKrunner88 View Post
Nothing wrong with smart homeownership. By that I mean buying a home within your means, and paying it off as quickly as possible. All you have to worry about then is running costs such as utilities, cable, and then property taxes.

Not owning a home means renting, and renting means an indefinite payment that never ends.
Broken HVAC systems, burned up buss-bars on electrical meters, leaking water heater, land maintenance, roof replacement, plumbing leaks, electrical fires, etc...

Old 11-21-2011, 08:04 PM

27,993 posts, read 19,657,034 times
Quote:
You do realize the owner of the properties pays those taxes and passes those costs to the renters.

I saved for 5 years before I could afford my down payment. Big deal. Too many people demand instant gratification today and are not willing to make any sacrifices to better themselves.
Owner of propertieS. Meaning the cost is spread out. Never said a word about instant gratification!

Old 11-21-2011, 08:18 PM

1,435 posts, read 1,293,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Broken HVAC systems, burned up buss-bars on electrical meters, leaking water heater, land maintenance, roof replacement, plumbing leaks, electrical fires, etc...
Unless you have an old house or a fixer-upper, how often do those things happen? My parents own their home and they don't have major finacial disasters at all...... home insurance, savings, proper and good maintenence and up-keep..maybe that does it..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies