Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 08:26 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmforte View Post
Unless you have an old house or a fixer-upper, how often do those things happen? My parents own their home and they don't have major finacial disasters at all...... home insurance, savings, proper and good maintenence and up-keep..maybe that does it..
Depends on the materials and the quality of instillation. If you have a new cookie cutter home you should be expecting these things more often. If you have an older custom built home where you vetted each contractor in nauseating detail and you pay for routine and preventative maintenance then you can probably count on a longer life span. You'll still need to pay for things that you can't easily quantify up front.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 08:37 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post

I never said anything of the sort. What I have said is that motels, hotels, rentals, condos and homes all have their places and the proper role for housing is to have a wide range of choices so that people can customize to their liking/situations.

So how come I can't find housing to suit MY liking? Surely American capitalism is capable of providing it.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
So how come I can't find housing to suit MY liking? Surely American capitalism is capable of providing it.
My guess, is you're being completely unreasonable and completely unbending on what you're willing to do.

Old 11-22-2011, 04:33 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
I can pay $650 in rent for my home with a fenced in backyard. Or I can pay a mortgage, school taxes, sewer bills and pony up money in the case of a roof leak, a busted hot water heater, etc.

That's a tall order to fill, IMO. I've never owned a home, though I'd like to in the future. I just don't like when certain people try to say renting and owning are basically the same thing except the renters are wasting their money. It isn't the same.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:51 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Yes, but can you afford the down payment, school taxes and other related fees that come with home ownership.
Down payment on $500?

The property I am thinking about has no taxes. No school taxes, no emergency services fees, no HOA fees, no property taxes, nothing.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:18 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
Lightbulb agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post

What an utter, unfounded, fallacious pile of manure.

OP is a thread fail bcs Orlando cannot be compared to NYC and SF...

"what progressives want"...I didnt get that memo of talking points from the far right most people want a house if they have a family.

I am liberal, socially, and prefer a house, depending on what state it is and where vibrant careers are.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:28 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Depends on the materials and the quality of instillation. If you have a new cookie cutter home you should be expecting these things more often. If you have an older custom built home where you vetted each contractor in nauseating detail and you pay for routine and preventative maintenance then you can probably count on a longer life span. You'll still need to pay for things that you can't easily quantify up front.
owe u a rep. people here posting are talking about their parents homes...once you own it....Its is ALL yours, complete with plumbing problems, heat and insulation issues in winter and maintenance.

Home inspections are a sham, basically they dont look at mold, water issues, flooding etc. Mold litigation is a big issue in Chinese drywall homes now.....and ur house isnt worth the swamp its built on. (many legal issues with poor "new construction" google "Orth homes")

If you plan on living in the same home for 50 years, its worth it. But no one plans for disasters, storm damage, divorce etc. And in America most move after 7 years...its not like the old days people lived in same house for generations, unless its a vacation home already paid for.

That said, speaker in OP video has no right to tell people what they should want or not.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:42 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,350,315 times
No big deal if you want to rent or own, I perfere to own myself, no landlord to deal with and the key to upkeep is to update before your forced to whether you own of rent.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:11 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Down payment on $500?

The property I am thinking about has no taxes. No school taxes, no emergency services fees, no HOA fees, no property taxes, nothing.
So IOW, the exact opposite of what most homeowners face. LOL Congratulations on finding such a property.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
No big deal if you want to rent or own, I perfere to own myself, no landlord to deal with and the key to upkeep is to update before your forced to whether you own of rent.
Very true, and preferably in the slow season for the contractors like when it's mid 70's during the day for your HVAC replacement. Not around thanksgiving or winter for your plumber. Not in winter time for your insulation expert. Ect ect ect...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies