Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 08:25 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times

Advertisements

In one of the greatest signs yet that the 99 Percenters are having an impact, Rep. Ted Deutch (D-FL), a member of the House Judiciary Committee, today introduced an amendment that would ban corporate money in politics and end corporate personhood once and for all.

Deutch’s amendment, called the Outlawing Corporate Cash Undermining the Public Interest in our Elections and Democracy (OCCUPIED) Amendment, would overturn the Citizens United decision, re-establishing the right of Congress and the states to regulate campaign finance laws, and to effectively outlaw the ability of for-profit corporations to contribute to campaign spending.
“No matter how long protesters camp out across America, big banks will continue to pour money into shadow groups promoting candidates more likely to slash Medicaid for poor children than help families facing foreclosure,” said Deutch in a statement provided to ThinkProgress. “No matter how strongly Ohio families fight for basic fairness for workers, the Koch Brothers will continue to pour millions into campaigns aimed at protecting the wealthiest 1%.

No matter how fed up seniors in South Florida are with an agenda that puts oil subsidies ahead of Social Security and Medicare, corporations will continue to fund massive publicity campaigns and malicious attack ads against the public interest. Americans of all stripes agree that for far too long, corporations have occupied Washington and drowned out the voices of the people. I introduced the OCCUPIED Amendment because the days of corporate control of our democracy. It is time to return the nation’s capital and our democracy to the people.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 08:33 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times
Apparently, someone in Washington is getting a clue. Now he needs to sponsor the insider trader bill that will keep Congress from profiting as they make moves that effect the price of stocks.

For too long the99% have allowed these Dbags to do anything they want as they profited personally at the expense of the people. It is time this comes to an end.

Term limits for Congress
Open donations - no hiding behind not for profit entities
limits to donations
blind trusts for their investments
end their health care and retirement benefits and make it what the people get, be it Obama care or Social Security. If they get what we get, I bet they will fix any of its problems. They should never get sweetheart programs above what the people get....EVER!

Old 11-18-2011, 08:38 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times
Might as well add to the amendment that no representative should be able to leave congress and then go to work for a company as a lobbyist sounds too much like bribery to me.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:59 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,960,029 times
[sarcasm hat on}These lilly livered idiots are giving in to the liberal scum at the bottom of the totem pole. You don't get to be winners at the top by giving away your reign on the totem pole.

In the real world, you fight to gain an advantage, as well as take advantage of others to get to the top and be a winner. At all costs. You don't do it by apologizing nor bowing to others, nor giving an inch when you have control. If it means killing and murdering others, then so be it. Survival of the fittest. Those Middle Eastern Hellholes and Liberal European countries are ripe for the picking. USA is number one.[sarcasm hat off]

Old 11-18-2011, 09:03 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Good for them, hope it works out for them.

That has no bearing on what is good or bad for these United States. That in mind, lets debate the pros and cons of banning those here?

Old 11-18-2011, 09:04 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Ban unions as well.

Are all union members lefties?

Old 11-18-2011, 09:07 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,330,801 times
I see why we need corporate 'persons' (they're not fully persons anyway), so I don't want to scrap that.

But I'm with limiting money in politics. Actually, if they'd just limit the amount of campaign spending and if they'd limit the amount of time that political campaigning can take place, we'd have a much better society. We might need to revise how we interpret "speech" but it can be done without injuring the right of real individuals to express themselves freely.

1,695 posts, read 3,044,850 times
Without opining on the bill itself, I am surprised that, in light of the Citizens United decision, no one has introduced a Bill like this until now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Ban unions as well.

Are all union members lefties?

How liberal of you.

Real conservatives want less government intervention, not more. Banning things is as much government intervention as anything else.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I see why we need corporate 'persons' (they're not fully persons anyway), so I don't want to scrap that.

But I'm with limiting money in politics. Actually, if they'd just limit the amount of campaign spending and if they'd limit the amount of time that political campaigning can take place, we'd have a much better society. We might need to revise how we interpret "speech" but it can be done without injuring the right of real individuals to express themselves freely.

I've long been for publically funding elections. The same money spent on both the D and the R, in a series of debates televised weekly or monthly, so that we can decide between the two. Let the primarys be privately funded. Many more candidates to decide between, so it minimizes corporate money influence.

As far as "corporate personhood", I'm for it, although probably not in the way you mean. The business itself is a series of people, all those who work for the corporation. If things are going so well with the people who work for the corporation, that they all want to donate money to a candidate, then that is the corporate person.

The business itself should not be allowed to donate. But the owner of the corporation should be allowed to use whatever money he is worth and his business is worth and making to back whatever candidate they like personally.

But all that money should be seen as coming from the ONE person when he/she does that.

They hide behind their corporations, the men behind the curtain, pulling the strings.

I want to see their faces, and who they back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies