U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-19-2011, 02:11 PM
 
Location: By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea
54,486 posts, read 38,446,874 times
Reputation: 26872

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
The courts are there for the purpose of determining innocence or guilt. They are the proper venue for making the argument of innocence.

Choosing to make that same argument on the street is all but begging to personally experience the escalation of force.
Spraying people with pepper spray for sitting down is far more than an 'escalation of force', it's an inappropriate response worthy of the goons of some middle-eastern regime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-19-2011, 02:13 PM
 
3,083 posts, read 3,291,924 times
Reputation: 2350
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
And spraying people in the face with chemicals for sitting down accomplishes exactly WHAT? I suppose if one dared throw a pebble you'd advocate firing into the crowd with automatic weapons?
Sitting down is not the issue (I suspect you know that but admitting it would diminish your argument).

Is it really that difficult for you to understand that failure to obey the lawful order of a police officer comes with consequences?

The OWS crowd will have ample opportunity to present their arguments in court.

As an aside, had the same thing occurred with the TEA Party I doubt you'd be making posts defending the actions of the protestors while condemning those of the police.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2011, 02:13 PM
 
Location: By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea
54,486 posts, read 38,446,874 times
Reputation: 26872
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The only "blood" has been spilled by the protesters themselves.

Obstruction of justice is a crime or do you think OWS is above the law ?
Above the law?

No

If they;re breaking the law they should be arrested and tried.

I just think spraying them for the dangerous act of sitting down is uncalled for. Punishment is after all supposed to fit the crime as well as be applied after trial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2011, 02:15 PM
 
Location: Maryland
18,563 posts, read 15,831,850 times
Reputation: 6259
Oh some wannabe hippies got some pepper spray. Let me know when they are run over by tanks I may care then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2011, 02:16 PM
 
Location: By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea
54,486 posts, read 38,446,874 times
Reputation: 26872
Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
Sitting down is not the issue (I suspect you know that but admitting it would diminish your argument).

Is it really that difficult for you to understand that failure to obey the lawful order of a police officer comes with consequences?

The OWS crowd will have ample opportunity to present their arguments in court.
Seems to me they've already been punished, but you know that, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
As an aside, had the same thing occurred with the TEA Party I doubt you'd be making posts defending the actions of the protestors while condemning those of the police.
There'd be no reason, the self-Righteous would be climbing over themselves in an effort to cry FACISTS! and blame Obama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2011, 02:18 PM
 
3,083 posts, read 3,291,924 times
Reputation: 2350
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Above the law?

No

If they;re breaking the law they should be arrested and tried.

I just think spraying them for the dangerous act of sitting down is uncalled for. Punishment is after all supposed to fit the crime as well as be applied after trial.
Pepper spray is not punishment. It's one of the lowest levels of force available to the officers to obtain compliance.

Would you rather the police had simply waded into the group and physically forced them to comply? Had that occurred the injuries suffered by the protestors would likely have been much greater.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2011, 02:18 PM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,093 posts, read 70,127,848 times
Reputation: 27525
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Above the law?

No

If they;re breaking the law they should be arrested and tried.

I just think spraying them for the dangerous act of sitting down is uncalled for. Punishment is after all supposed to fit the crime as well as be applied after trial.
They were obstructing justice..preventing the law from performing their jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2011, 02:19 PM
 
Location: By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea
54,486 posts, read 38,446,874 times
Reputation: 26872
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Oh some wannabe hippies got some pepper spray. Let me know when they are run over by tanks I may care then.
And some wannabe John Waynes sprayed them, isn't that special? I suppose many would favor putting a call to the Ohio National Guard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2011, 02:21 PM
 
15,924 posts, read 16,908,068 times
Reputation: 7626
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
As if that would be the better option. I'm hoping you're not a POW yourself-- you obviously have not learned anything about our ideals.
I have learned "your ideals" are those of an immature child who is scared of growing up...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2011, 02:23 PM
 
3,404 posts, read 4,154,518 times
Reputation: 2397
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
Would you please elaborate on why there are quotes around peaceful. In this situation would you point out where exactly violent action was conducted?
There are quotes, because there have been shootings, rapes and defecating on cars. It is not a peaceful protest when things like that happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top