U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2011, 05:26 PM

6,159 posts, read 10,922,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Above the law?

No

If they;re breaking the law they should be arrested and tried.

I just think spraying them for the dangerous act of sitting down is uncalled for. Punishment is after all supposed to fit the crime as well as be applied after trial.
I read a few different articles that tell the story more fully. Here's the link to one of them. It's very clear that they were sprayed for doing much more than "sitting down," and I bet you already know that. The police were in the act of arresting a few of the protesters. The crowd demanded the release of those being arrested. They attempted to intimidate, and then block, the police officers. From the article,
Quote:
Some onlookers joined the protesters, chanting “Set them free!” They rose as a group, then, slowly moving to surround the officers, who drew their batons.
Having at least once ordered the sidewalk cleared, so that those arrested could be taken away, Pike then pepper-sprayed seated protesters blocking the officer’s path.
Just sitting, you say? I don't think so. A crowd of chanting protesters encircled the police, closing in on them. I say they're DAMNED lucky no one got more than pepper spray in the face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2011, 05:26 PM

25,631 posts, read 29,212,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmforte View Post
And that is $500 a year!!

And I heard that Greece is laughing at us (California).

HEY!!! wait a minute I can sympathise with them on this issue.

That is a major hit to the beer budget DAMN IT!!!

Have cut out at least one Keg Party per year.

Old 11-19-2011, 05:30 PM

25,631 posts, read 29,212,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Just sitting, you say? I don't think so. A crowd of chanting protesters encircled the police, closing in on them. I say they're DAMNED lucky no one got more than pepper spray in the face.
In my day that would have gotten you a first class trip to the hospital with a large crack in your skull and maybe a few broken limbs depending on how fast you moved as my baton was striking your ass.

In my Dad's day it would have got you shot.

Old 11-19-2011, 05:48 PM

5,936 posts, read 6,377,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jujulu View Post
This is criminal, an abridgement of our 1st amendment rights. These jackbooted thugs need to lose their badges for this.
WOW.... It amazes me that some people just don't get it.
They were dealt with based on the laws they were violating. This has nothing to do with their first amendment rights. If you can show us the officers actions were against the group who had a permit and not breaking any laws or ordinances, then your statement would be correct. But in this case, the officers did their job correctly.

Old 11-19-2011, 05:57 PM

18,563 posts, read 15,816,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
And some wannabe John Waynes sprayed them, isn't that special? I suppose many would favor putting a call to the Ohio National Guard.
Exactly it could have been worse so what are they whining about?

Old 11-19-2011, 05:59 PM

44,924 posts, read 27,095,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Whatever happened to fire hoses?
They were declared police brutality long ago. They are kind of weapons of last resort and normally might bruise and cut those being washed down the street.

Old 11-19-2011, 05:59 PM

6,760 posts, read 10,200,015 times
Apparently the little OWS'rs never learned much living in their mommy's basement. When cops repeatedly ask you to move for an extended amount of time, and you are blocking public property/access/movement, the police will remove you, one way or another. I think pepper spray was kind of nice vs what they could have gotten. No one is trying to stop them from expressing their right to free speech. The police are simply trying to maintain public order, and the OWS losers are dead set on taking over space that belongs to EVERYONE, not just them and their demented ideas of how to protest.

Old 11-19-2011, 06:03 PM

44,924 posts, read 27,095,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
You don't have the right to sit down where ever you want and stay there however long you want. I think the only place I can do that is my own house and that is only as long as I pay the property taxes.

If I chose instead to sit down at a neighbors house, invited or not, I have to leave eventually. Even if I peacefully just sit there. They have rights.

Even public property. The public means everybody. It can't become your home even if you pitch a tent. You don't have the right to take public access away from everyone else.

Lets see if I can clear this up for you. You can be at your house when ever you want and even then you have to cover the costs of being there. Anywhere else, someone else, be it government or individual or group, gives you the right or permission to be there on their terms. Your home belongs to you and the other places don't. That is not their university. If they pay their student loans then they are paying for the use of it. Why do the protesters think they have more rights than everyone else?
Has anybody managed to say anything about the fact that the University is a State College and is therefore the property of the taxpayers of the state? Maybe these kids who want it run for them by those who do it now need to check up on who the taxpayers who pay for the school are and how they feel about how it should be used.

Old 11-19-2011, 07:32 PM

4,986 posts, read 8,300,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNEwx_46 View Post
agreed, the police response has been ridiculous.
Yes, pepper spray is utterly ridiculous. They should have been using Browning 50 cals.

Old 11-19-2011, 07:37 PM

194 posts, read 434,850 times
The police are here to serve and protect. Police brutality is too common for me to believe that anymore.

Fact is the cops have been using excess force on these Occupy Protesters. We all know peaceful, college students sitting down, arms linked are VIOLENT.

Unfortunately, this is not the only case of police brutality when it comes to the protesters. Here's a video of police savagely beating peaceful students with batons:

Occupy Cal video: Police brutally beat, arrest Berkeley students - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or