U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2011, 12:41 PM

39,137 posts, read 23,338,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
They were sitting there, IN THE VIDEO. Go read about what led up to that moment. I posted a link in post 162, I think.
The thing is, WHEN the students were sitting, heads bowed, arms linked, posing no threat to the officers, that's when the police officers proceeded to spray them, point blank, in their faces, with a chemical. To stride, along the line, spraying them, in full control of the situation. The officers had control, the pepper-spraying then becomes punishment for not obeying. No matter how frustrated the officers were, they aren't supposed to punish people. They have the power to issue orders, and to arrest people who don't comply with those orders. They don't have the power to assault people who don't comply. And, from the multiple angles of the video, that is what appears to have happened. The police assaulted the protesters. Might they have been provoked? Yes. But when the police are given power, they are entrusted not to abuse that power, no matter how provoked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 12:49 PM

5,697 posts, read 5,312,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
For some of you this is sad, for other blood thirsty savages this is probably awesome as hell!

Enjoy either way!

Police pepper spraying and arresting students at UC Davis - YouTube
please quit grouping folks together with a large brush
I saw this and was sickened by it
I do not know how this happened
but having said that, I am still against violence of some of the people at these protests, it dose not matter who is acting out of bounds
who ever does it is wrong
why would you think anyone would enjoys this??!!

Old 11-21-2011, 12:51 PM

26,510 posts, read 24,356,974 times
This is going to cost the university a LOT of money.

And that jackass cop belongs in jail. He's obviously a threat to civil society.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:52 PM

18,234 posts, read 16,600,189 times
The police are only the servants of the will of the people and the community. If the community didn't support them and want their service, they wouldn't last 5 minutes on the streets. They're not dumb, they wouldn't even show up. But the criminals would.
Maybe they overreacted with the pepper spray but they held their composure, kept calm, and avoided any escalation of confrontation by withdrawing when it was clear they had no alternative.
I'll give a little credit to the protestors, they kept their calm and made their point and won a psychological victory. If theres any legal action we'll have to see who was in the wrong.
But what were they protesting, what did they want? Free tuition? Screw them. I'm all for a good protest but you have to be protesting something.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Keep supporting lawlessness and lack of respect for authority and you'll get pepper sprayed or even worse.
Fine. The victims will sue and they will win. They always do in cases where there's obviously police brutality taking place. And that means you'll be paying for their crimes through your tax dollars. Congratulations.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:57 PM

18,234 posts, read 16,600,189 times
I was thinking that Penn State students would have dispersed the police and pepper sprayed THEM.

Old 11-21-2011, 01:00 PM

4,260 posts, read 2,877,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Fine. The victims will sue and they will win. They always do in cases where there's obviously police brutality taking place. And that means you'll be paying for their crimes through your tax dollars. Congratulations.

yep, thru tax $.
So whats funnier , protestors protesting in predominantly democrat cities , ringing up the bill for police overtime , eventualy causing their own prop taxes to go up. Or democratic voting union cops beating other democrats?

Humm, there both so funny , I just cant make up my mind.

Old 11-21-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
yep, thru tax $.
So whats funnier , protestors protesting in predominantly democrat cities , ringing up the bill for police overtime , eventualy causing their own prop taxes to go up. Or democratic voting union cops beating other democrats?

Humm, there both so funny , I just cant make up my mind.
Interesting. I don't think either one is funny. Not sure why anyone would.

Old 11-21-2011, 01:17 PM

6,160 posts, read 10,949,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The thing is, WHEN the students were sitting, heads bowed, arms linked, posing no threat to the officers, that's when the police officers proceeded to spray them, point blank, in their faces, with a chemical. To stride, along the line, spraying them, in full control of the situation. The officers had control, the pepper-spraying then becomes punishment for not obeying. No matter how frustrated the officers were, they aren't supposed to punish people. They have the power to issue orders, and to arrest people who don't comply with those orders. They don't have the power to assault people who don't comply. And, from the multiple angles of the video, that is what appears to have happened. The police assaulted the protesters. Might they have been provoked? Yes. But when the police are given power, they are entrusted not to abuse that power, no matter how provoked.
I found
another video of the event on YouTube.

This one provides a little more insight into what happened.

You can clearly see that the "protesters" were actively blocking the police from getting past them on that sidewalk.
The officer sprayed those who were on or right near the edge of that sidewalk, so that they could move them out of the way and proceed with their business.
You can see the police, as soon as there was a walkway available to the, took those they had arrested and walked on.

This doesn't appear to be any sort of brutality. And it's not punishment. It's an attempt to do their job, moving aside those who tried to stop them in a relatively harmless, in temporarily uncomfortable, manner. The police were sent to arrest some people. Some other people attempted to prevent that. They took appropriate action. What would you have the police do? Sit down & wait it out, hoping those preventing them from doing their job would tire & leave? Grab them and drag them away without the pepper spray (which many experts say is more likely to cause injury.)

Old 11-21-2011, 01:42 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,823,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
I found
another video of the event on YouTube.

This one provides a little more insight into what happened.

You can clearly see that the "protesters" were actively blocking the police from getting past them on that sidewalk.
The officer sprayed those who were on or right near the edge of that sidewalk, so that they could move them out of the way and proceed with their business.
You can see the police, as soon as there was a walkway available to the, took those they had arrested and walked on.

This doesn't appear to be any sort of brutality. And it's not punishment. It's an attempt to do their job, moving aside those who tried to stop them in a relatively harmless, in temporarily uncomfortable, manner. The police were sent to arrest some people. Some other people attempted to prevent that. They took appropriate action. What would you have the police do? Sit down & wait it out, hoping those preventing them from doing their job would tire & leave? Grab them and drag them away without the pepper spray (which many experts say is more likely to cause injury.)

Really??? Start watching the footage at 0:29 where another officer sprayed protesters that were not even near the sidewalk. The officers approached them with pepper spray.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or