U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2011, 07:16 PM

1,435 posts, read 1,293,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Our idiots in Congress just refused to "move" on a plan that would have required compromise. They're threatening the rest of us in a big way by their refusal to get serious and do their jobs.

Can we pepper spray them, too? Please?
Call up UC Davis and ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 07:37 PM

414 posts, read 764,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
Well said. People are so naive it's insane but maybe they don't get out much. I support the police and the job that they do but there are also a lot of arrogant cops out there that take advantage of their power. In addition, there are many cops that also do not obey the law, lets get real. I have known quite a few in my life and they are no saints, they are human. I'm guessing if this was ok and not the wrong way to handle things then why are all the people involved "on leave"? Let's see that must be the students fault as well.

It's interesting how people can watch the same video but see two different things and everyone thinks they are right. If even one student stood up and lifted his fist or hand to an officer, I would say he should have been pepper sprayed but I didn't see that. Did someone see that and I'm just missing it?

Nope, you're not missing it at all. For all of the "freedom loving conservatives" that absolutely refuse to have any of their rights stepped on on, especially their 2nd amendment rights, many of them sure seem quick to side with the police here. I guess its OK to abuse power and step on someones constitutional rights as long as you disagree with their political views.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:41 PM

4,286 posts, read 13,113,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmforte View Post
Or rich unions. And in a free society CEOs (as everyone esle) have the right to "line their pockets." And if you have proof that our tax money is being stolen and handed unlawfully over to CEOs, then by all means expose it.
I don't have to, what's going on has already been exposed. I'm not going to have a conversation off topic to explain to you whats going on in Washington. You can easily find it out yourself by doing a little research.
here, I'll give you a couple links and maybe you can figure it out.
Henry Paulson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
After Taking A $10 Billion Bailout, Goldman Sachs Announces It Will Outsource 1,000 Jobs To Singapore | ThinkProgress
Goldman Sachs Boosts CEO Blankfein's Stock Bonus by 40% to $12.6 Million - Bloomberg
Troubled Asset Relief Program - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Bush's Former Oil Company Linked To bin Laden Family

Hope this helps you!

Old 11-21-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by United_Caps_Skins_Fan View Post
Nope, you're not missing it at all. For all of the "freedom loving conservatives" that absolutely refuse to have any of their rights stepped on on, especially their 2nd amendment rights, many of them sure seem quick to side with the police here. I guess its OK to abuse power and step on someones constitutional rights as long as you disagree with their political views.
You got it! Let the hypocrites unite!

Old 11-21-2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmforte View Post
Or rich unions. And in a free society CEOs (as everyone esle) have the right to "line their pockets." [/color]And if you have proof that our tax money is being stolen and handed unlawfully over to CEOs, then by all means expose it.
I had to quote this again because I can't believe someone actually said it. I highlighted the exciting part.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmforte
Quote:
Or rich unions. And in a free society CEOs (as everyone esle) have the right to "line their pockets." [/color]And if you have proof that our tax money is being stolen and handed unlawfully over to CEOs, then by all means expose it.
Quote:
Quote:
I had to quote this again because I can't believe someone actually said it. I highlighted the exciting part.
Americans don't have the right to get rich?

Old 11-21-2011, 07:57 PM

Quote:
I don't have to, what's going on has already been exposed. I'm not going to have a conversation off topic to explain to you whats going on in Washington. You can easily find it out yourself by doing a little research.
here, I'll give you a couple links and maybe you can figure it out.
Henry Paulson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
After Taking A $10 Billion Bailout, Goldman Sachs Announces It Will Outsource 1,000 Jobs To Singapore | ThinkProgress
Goldman Sachs Boosts CEO Blankfein's Stock Bonus by 40% to $12.6 Million - Bloomberg
Troubled Asset Relief Program - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Bush's Former Oil Company Linked To bin Laden Family

Hope this helps you!
We all know about the unethical and immoral activity of some big corporations. But where is the crime? I said if you have proof that they are stealing out tax money..

Old 11-21-2011, 08:00 PM

3,083 posts, read 3,278,884 times
Quote:
Why is this a problem for you? A CEO is employed to maximize the profit of his/her company.

If you want to assign blame to those ultimately responsible for corporate abuses blame the utterly corrupt politicians that enable, encourage, and all but demand corporate abuses. They took an oath to uphold the public trust and have happily disregarded that oath for personal enrichment.

The vast majority of the OWS protests are giving our corrupt politicians what is essentially a free pass for their actions, trying to pin the bulk of the blame on the corporate sector, and screaming for the same politicians that created the mess to usurp even more power (which they will abuse) to fix things.

There are ample reasons to be angry about the state of things in the US but blindly striking out because doing so is currently fashionable is not going to fix anything.

As an aside the protestors are pushing for a confrontation with the police. They realize (and it's well proven by the emotion driven posts in this thread) that pushing things to the point the police use force will garner sympathy for their cause. The officers exercised a great degree of restraint in limiting the level of force used to something that amounts to little more than an irritant.

Last edited by outbacknv; 11-21-2011 at 08:14 PM..

Old 11-21-2011, 08:08 PM

5,113 posts, read 4,762,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
For some of you this is sad, for other blood thirsty savages this is probably awesome as hell!

Enjoy either way!

Police pepper spraying and arresting students at UC Davis - YouTube
I think the blood thirsty savages would have preferred the police physically force the protesters to move like they did in New York and the police beat the protesters with clubs and fists. Using pepper spray is nonlethal and just makes them temporarily disabled. That's not that interesting if you were looking for blood.

The protesters knew full well that the police would show up and take them away ... right?

What do you expect the police to do? They can't allow the protesters to stay. They could beat them ... but they used a nonlethal and less brutal method instead.

The police are pansy's

Old 11-21-2011, 09:05 PM

414 posts, read 764,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
I think the blood thirsty savages would have preferred the police physically force the protesters to move like they did in New York and the police beat the protesters with clubs and fists. Using pepper spray is nonlethal and just makes them temporarily disabled. That's not that interesting if you were looking for blood.

The protesters knew full well that the police would show up and take them away ... right?

What do you expect the police to do? They can't allow the protesters to stay. They could beat them ... but they used a nonlethal and less brutal method instead.

The police are pansy's

Do what is almost always done when people are engaging in peaceful civil disobedience: Place them in hand cuffs, and take them off to jail for the violation, and be done with it. The police had no right nor reason to use ANY sort of force here, what so ever. Why some here fail to understand that is beyond me, but hey people see what they want to see right.

I'm sure some of the ones that side with the cops watched that video and saw someone stand up and start threatening and / or beating on the cops thus deserving to be pepper sprayed. I can assure you that those people that saw that, are in fact hallucinating.

The use of pepper spray is not for a deterrent, its for use as a defencive means to subdue and rowdy/ unruly person(s). I would love for someone to explain to us all how sitting on the sidewalk in silence, arms locked is in any way rowdy, unruly, or threatening. It isn't. These "cops" were 100% wrong, abused their power because they "felt like it", and should pay the price with their career and probably even be prosecuted themselves. Please show me again where in the constitution or anywhere else it says that authorities have the right to use aggressive or even violent means against peaceful civil disobedience? Oh right, it doesn't .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or