U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-23-2011, 02:10 PM
 
27,903 posts, read 33,523,654 times
Reputation: 4016

Advertisements

102.16

Failure to identify oneself to, or comply with the directions of, a University official or other public official acting in the performance of his or her duties while on University property or at official University functions; or resisting or obstructing such University or other public officials in the performance of or the attempt to perform their duties.

University Policy Office - Policies - 100.00 Policy On Student Conduct And Discipline

Give it up, you lose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-23-2011, 02:12 PM
 
Location: Sango, TN
24,889 posts, read 20,389,497 times
Reputation: 8606
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
102.16

Failure to identify oneself to, or comply with the directions of, a University official or other public official acting in the performance of his or her duties while on University property or at official University functions; or resisting or obstructing such University or other public officials in the performance of or the attempt to perform their duties.

University Policy Office - Policies - 100.00 Policy On Student Conduct And Discipline

Give it up, you lose.
Acting in the performance of his/her duty.

It wasn't her duty to tell students to move just because she didn't like their message.

Again, anyone can stand, sit, or be on public land, if they aren't obstructing anyone, and no one was obstructed, and no university function was disrupted, until the police showed up.

And if you are so right, and I am so wrong, why were the charges dropped?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2011, 02:14 PM
 
39,095 posts, read 23,262,402 times
Reputation: 12159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Actually it is. As a part of the American With Disabilities Act of 1990, a minimum of 3 feet of walkway must be maintained at all times for access for people in wheelchairs or other disabilities. Of course you can get a permit to occupy the sidewalk but you must provide an adequate alternative and give fair warning so that the alternative is known a reasonable distance before the obstruction.
There is no evidence that people in wheelchairs or other disabilities could not adequately pass through the quad because of where these students chose to sit. Going around them would not have posed undue hardship, nor any danger, since the sidewalk does not parallel any immediately adjacent roadways. No one with a disability filed any complaint. And while the university system of California is a public university, campuses are not open unrestrictedly to the public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2011, 02:17 PM
 
39,095 posts, read 23,262,402 times
Reputation: 12159
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
If some old poop like me was trying to use that walkway and couldn't because that small group of protesters were sitting like that and I kicked one of them in the head I would be the bad guy and those who kept me from getting past them would be the good guys because they wanted to keep me from using that walkway.

You are telling the same story here that the Occupy DC people were throwing around when they blocked traffic standing in the street. Somehow I see you wanting your cake and be able to eat it, too. I am sorry, but protesters do not have special rights because they are protesting and we all have rights but they want to take ours away from us.

No matter how you look at it, those kids had no right to block that public walkway. If they did all the others would have been on there with them.
What business would you have had on campus? This was the college quad on a college campus. The public, you, don't have unrestricted access to the property. So, is the sidewalk really a public sidewalk?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2011, 02:25 PM
 
Location: Boston, MA
10,994 posts, read 7,774,061 times
Reputation: 5337
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
There is no evidence that people in wheelchairs or other disabilities could not adequately pass through the quad because of where these students chose to sit. Going around them would not have posed undue hardship, nor any danger, since the sidewalk does not parallel any immediately adjacent roadways. No one with a disability filed any complaint. And while the university system of California is a public university, campuses are not open unrestrictedly to the public.
What about disabled students?

How would you feel if you propelled yourself 100 yards down a walkway only to find it blocked by sitting students who refuse to move.

The circumstances don't matter anyway, the University has to abide by these guidelines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2011, 02:59 PM
 
6,406 posts, read 6,530,804 times
Reputation: 9812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
What about disabled students?

How would you feel if you propelled yourself 100 yards down a walkway only to find it blocked by sitting students who refuse to move.

The circumstances don't matter anyway, the University has to abide by these guidelines.
What makes you think they'd refuse to move for a disabled person? They're not protesting the disabled, they're protesting the chancellor - and they didn't even prevent her from getting into her office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2011, 03:09 PM
 
27,903 posts, read 33,523,654 times
Reputation: 4016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Acting in the performance of his/her duty.

It wasn't her duty to tell students to move just because she didn't like their message.

Again, anyone can stand, sit, or be on public land, if they aren't obstructing anyone, and no one was obstructed, and no university function was disrupted, until the police showed up.

And if you are so right, and I am so wrong, why were the charges dropped?
They have a history of appeasment in the UC system. It's purely political correctness, not policy. The police, who were ordered, were well within their rights and that students should have known that since it's school policy.

As a plus, they used the least offensive method. As a police officer, they're required to take pepper spray directly into the face and eyes and then preform a task for training. All the crying and whining of the people in here about how inhumane it was to spray these kids on the top of their heads are just being over dramatic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2011, 03:55 PM
 
33,524 posts, read 14,685,374 times
Reputation: 7645
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
It's not illegal to block the sidewalk.

That's the simple fact. You claim to be the legal expert, go find the law that says you can't sit on the sidewalk.
And YOU know this how?

While participating in a union strike we were told by the police that as long as we kept moving we were OK But, if we stopped and obstructed the free movement of others we would be in violation of the law.

You should do a little research before making such blanket statements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2011, 05:08 PM
 
Location: Northern MN
3,869 posts, read 12,560,331 times
Reputation: 3546
Your rights end where mine begin.
Your rights can not infringe on my rights.
Get out of the way.
Why do you get to block the sidewalk?
It's not a right.



Are you better than the rest of us?






You can't block a sidewalk, it's a public right-of-way, and in West Hollywood doing so can get you arrested as TMZ reports:


70 people were arrested today for demonstrating against the proposed Keystone XL pipeline. It was the first day of the planned two-week sit in. The demonstrators were arrested for blocking the sidewalk in front of the White House. They were later released after paying a fee.
70 demonstrators in Washington D.C. during sit-in against pipeline | News 5 | News, Weather, Sports for Hastings | Kearney | Grand Island | Nebraska | Local News



Two ordinances have been adopted in Royersford after many quality-of-life complaints from residents. They'll restrict the use of brake retarders and sidewalk merchandise.
second ordinance was sparked by complaints from residents about having to walk in the street when sidewalks sales and outdoor seating block the walkways.
Royersford ordinances ban sidewalk blocking, brake retarders


MN256C.02 PUBLIC ACCOMMODATIONS.

The blind, the visually disabled, and the otherwise physically disabled have the same right as the able-bodied to the full and free use of the streets, highways, sidewalks, walkways, public buildings, public facilities, and other public places;

Florida prohibits pedestrians from walking on a road paved for vehicular travel when a sidewalk is provided.
Read more: Florida Sidewalk Laws | eHow.com Florida Sidewalk Laws | eHow.com



MN412.221

Subd. 6.Streets; sewers; sidewalks; public grounds.

The council shall have power to lay out, open, change, widen or extend streets, alleys, parks, squares, and other public ways and grounds and to grade, pave, repair, control, and maintain the same; to establish and maintain drains, canals, and sewers; to alter, widen or straighten watercourses; to lay, repair, or otherwise improve or discontinue sidewalks, paths, and crosswalks. It shall have power by ordinance to regulate the use of streets and other public grounds, to prevent encumbrances or obstructions,


Are you blind or in a wheel chair?
Missing a leg?
How can you imagine the hardships involved?
Get some life experience and check back with me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
There is no evidence that people in wheelchairs or other disabilities could not adequately pass through the quad because of where these students chose to sit. Going around them would not have posed undue hardship, nor any danger, since the sidewalk does not parallel any immediately adjacent roadways. No one with a disability filed any complaint. And while the university system of California is a public university, campuses are not open unrestrictedly to the public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2011, 05:16 PM
 
Location: Sango, TN
24,889 posts, read 20,389,497 times
Reputation: 8606
What does Florida and Nebraska law have to do with UC Davis? Its in California.

And no, people can block public side walks all day long, it happens all the time. As posted by others who have seen the campus, there was plenty of other areas to walk.

No laws were broken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top