U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 01:01 PM

6,209 posts, read 6,613,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Do you have a cite for that? Sounds - unlikely.
I did read somewhere this has merit. Many who've inherited vast sums lose it all in a couple of generations. But not all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2011, 01:31 PM

12,439 posts, read 9,998,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
I did read somewhere this has merit. Many who've inherited vast sums lose it all in a couple of generations. But not all.
Well I have heard that for people who win the lottery, but not families that inherit money over many generations.

Old 11-19-2011, 02:37 PM

6,209 posts, read 6,613,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Well I have heard that for people who win the lottery, but not families that inherit money over many generations.
You might be referring to old money families. I think their money never runs out because their interests are embedded into governments in some form. Kind of like the Queen of England but without the title or the Duponts of Delaware.

Old 11-19-2011, 02:47 PM

41,314 posts, read 38,611,481 times
Quote:
The Deck is stacked against the middle Class.
Hogwash.

Just takes hard work, commitment and making the right choices throughout your life to achieve the goals you set for yourself.

I know this because of exactly where my husband and I started out and where we are today - ours is the story of MILLIONS and MILLIONS of Americans.

Start out at the bottom, work your way up and through the middle class.

The entitled that represent the mentality of OWS, think they should start out having everything they want straight out of college, HS without really have to struggle and work for it.

Old 11-19-2011, 03:08 PM

9,605 posts, read 14,321,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
And just like a game, if you dont like it.. QUIT.. Let us know when you move to Cuba.. put your money where your mouth is!! I bet you dont!!
Or better yet, we could vote out all the Republicans.

Old 11-19-2011, 03:16 PM

86,093 posts, read 70,230,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Or better yet, we could vote out all the Republicans.
Like the Dems are not beholden to corporate/banking interests ?
Do you really believe that life in the US would change that much if you get the Republican majority out of the House ?

The Dems ruled Congress 2009 and 2010 and all I saw was spending out the wazoo and they even extended the Bush cuts.

Old 11-19-2011, 03:22 PM

12,439 posts, read 9,998,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Like the Dems are not beholden to corporate/banking interests ?
Do you really believe that life in the US would change that much if you get the Republican majority out of the House ?

The Dems ruled Congress 2009 and 2010 and all I saw was spending out the wazoo and they even extended the Bush cuts.
I don't believe that at all. Lets get banks out of the govt. They lobby both parties. In 2008, they were big donors to Obama, not so much this time. This time it is Romney. Apparently, Obama has let them down.

Old 11-19-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
I don't believe that at all. Lets get banks out of the govt. They lobby both parties. In 2008, they were big donors to Obama, not so much this time. This time it is Romney. Apparently, Obama has let them down.
I'm voting for Ron Paul and crossing my fingers that Americans forget this R vs D war and vote against the corporate interest because the corporate interest owns them all on both sides. There's only a handful in Congress that actually care about America; I think Ron Paul is one of them.

Old 11-19-2011, 04:13 PM

69,372 posts, read 53,840,354 times
Quote:
Do you have a cite for that? Probably not, but this is what makes you feel better? If this is true, why leave your children anything? Why destine them to become losers. Sounds like you are an agreement that inheritance makes losers out of people because they don't contribute. I agree. Lets just get rid of inheritance.
What am I supposed to do with it? Leave it to YOU? haha.. I somehow think you'd change your view overnight if that happened.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Do you have a cite for that? Sounds - unlikely.
Its been a very well known fact. Even families like the Vanderbilts, with vast sums of money, have spent it all.

www.wealthcounsel.com/Consumers_VoorheesArticle.aspx

Old 11-19-2011, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
What am I supposed to do with it? Leave it to YOU? haha.. I somehow think you'd change your view overnight if that happened.

Its been a very well known fact. Even families with the Vanderbilts, with vast sums of money, have spent it all.

www.wealthcounsel.com/Consumers_VoorheesArticle.aspx
Rockefeller though locked his money up tighter than a drum with a board of people to manage it and dole out "allowances" to the family. He made a smart move as they are still wealthy today.

Rockefeller family - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies