U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2011, 01:42 PM

25,631 posts, read 29,130,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Not likely, since Atlanta has the 3rd highest percentage of gays in the nation, and it's over 60% black.
But how many of those gays are black, you didn't mention that.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2011, 01:48 PM

15,727 posts, read 9,118,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Well, if the majority of the population is black, and it's the 3rd highest percentage of gays, and the 2nd most same-sex black households in the nation after DC, and it's called the Black Gay Mecca...

I can assure you most gays in Atlanta are black.

Old 11-19-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Well, if the majority of the population is black, and it's the 3rd highest percentage of gays, and the 2nd most same-sex black households in the nation after DC, and it's called the Black Gay Mecca...

I can assure you most gays in Atlanta are black.
Wow that's a peacock feather in the hat for Gaylanta.

I always thought Huggybear shook his hips a little too much on Starskey and Hutch.

I think he had a thing for those tight jeans Starkey always wore.

Starrrskeyyyyyyy...

Old 11-19-2011, 03:37 PM

18,563 posts, read 15,779,496 times
Quote:
People think Mormons were responsible for the passage of prop 8 in California. They are wrong, the normally liberal black vote was almost 70 percent for Prop 8.

So like mass murderers is being gay primarily a white phenomenon?
Don't forget the Latinos who were about 60% for it.

Old 11-19-2011, 03:41 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,473 posts, read 13,417,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Well I'm black and I do not support same sex marriage. But I put my money where my mouth is by not being apart of the political party that helps and supports that. That is one of several reasons I am republican.
Home - Log Cabin Republicans

Who We Are

Log Cabin Republicans is the nation's only organization of Republicans who support fairness, freedom, and equality for gay and lesbian Americans. Log Cabin has state and local chapters nationwide, full-time staff in Washington, DC, a federal political action committee, and state political action committees.

What We Believe

We are loyal Republicans. We believe in limited government, strong national defense, free markets, low taxes, personal responsibility, and individual liberty. Log Cabin represents an important part of the American family—taxpaying, hard working people who proudly believe in this nation's greatness. We also believe all Americans have the right to liberty and equality. We believe equality for gay and lesbian people is in the finest tradition of the Republican Party. We educate our Party about why inclusion wins. Opposing gay and lesbian equality is inconsistent with the GOP's core principles of smaller government and personal freedom.

Old 11-19-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I didn't but this thread is not about us.

Old 11-19-2011, 03:47 PM

1,691 posts, read 1,593,062 times
I feel bad for black gays who endure so much stigmatization from their community. If only black homophobes (those who are, anyway) would realize the real damage they are doing to their very own sons and daughters. Then again, it took whites a long time to figure out the same thing, and they're not there yet.

It's pointless to compare struggles, but I will say this: racism against black people is not generally accepted in society now (even though it occurs obliquely all the time), while homophobia is still tolerated to a huge degree, and even encouraged for a laugh. When is the last time you heard somebody say "I don't believe that black people should be able to get married. I don't have to explain - it just goes against my beliefs." Never. Because it just doesn't happen anymore.

As a gay man, it's an incredible frustrating argument and more frustrating still that these people have so much sway over our lives. But I don't respond to AA homophobia with racism, as some gays are apt to do because I realize that the problem isn't between blacks and gays, or latinos, or whomever, it's between all minorities and the power structures that keep us down. I wish more people would realize the same.

Old 11-19-2011, 03:48 PM

11,435 posts, read 15,951,948 times
Quote:
People think Mormons were responsible for the passage of prop 8 in California. They are wrong, the normally liberal black vote was almost 70 percent for Prop 8.

So like mass murderers is being gay primarily a white phenomenon?
Mormons funded the effort to the tune of $50 million worth of deceptive propaganda which swayed the uneducated masses into voting for the proposition. I've read that gay activists didn't focus as much on the black community as they should have. They could have had public service announcements by such prominent black Californians as Maxine Waters, Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant (oh sorry), Monique, Queen Latifah, Barbara Lee, Vanessa Williams etc.
If the mormons hadn't spent so much on misinforming the public, the Prop would have not been passed.

Last edited by wehotex; 11-19-2011 at 04:02 PM..

Old 11-19-2011, 03:54 PM

11,435 posts, read 15,951,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
That is NOT true. It was 53% For among latino voters.

Prop. 8 and the Hispanic Vote - HispanicBusiness.com

The problem with Calif is that there are TOO MANY immigrants. They bring the backwardsness of their home countries to the culture and it is reflected in their voting, since they are easily swayed by propaganda. Low education levels, religious fundamentalism and such.

Old 11-19-2011, 04:00 PM

22,974 posts, read 57,247,098 times
Quote:
According to the 2000 census, Atlanta ranked third among cities with a population of more than 100,000 in the number of same-sex households, behind San Francisco and Seattle.

It ranked second in the number of African-American same-sex households, behind only the Washington-Baltimore metropolitan area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or