U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2011, 05:56 PM

1,684 posts, read 1,432,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
I feel bad for black gays who endure so much stigmatization from their community. If only black homophobes (those who are, anyway) would realize the real damage they are doing to their very own sons and daughters. Then again, it took whites a long time to figure out the same thing, and they're not there yet.

It's pointless to compare struggles, but I will say this: racism against black people is not generally accepted in society now (even though it occurs obliquely all the time), while homophobia is still tolerated to a huge degree, and even encouraged for a laugh. When is the last time you heard somebody say "I don't believe that black people should be able to get married. I don't have to explain - it just goes against my beliefs." Never. Because it just doesn't happen anymore.

As a gay man, it's an incredible frustrating argument and more frustrating still that these people have so much sway over our lives. But I don't respond to AA homophobia with racism, as some gays are apt to do because I realize that the problem isn't between blacks and gays, or latinos, or whomever, it's between all minorities and the power structures that keep us down. I wish more people would realize the same.
Well, you pretty much nailed it. I will go a step further. Many people do not like the idea of comparing the Gay rights struggle to the Civil Rights Movement because of the notion that it at least in one manner equates Gays with Blacks. And no one wants to be compared to gay people.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2011, 05:58 PM

9,153 posts, read 11,714,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Well, if the majority of the population is black, and it's the 3rd highest percentage of gays, and the 2nd most same-sex black households in the nation after DC, and it's called the Black Gay Mecca...

I can assure you most gays in Atlanta are black.
You are right about Atlanta it's a Black Homosexual Magnet....

Old 11-19-2011, 06:29 PM

3,951 posts, read 3,592,401 times
Who the hell is Frank Bruni? He needs to report on something else.

Old 11-19-2011, 07:07 PM

11,435 posts, read 15,989,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Well, as you may know, I was opposed to my Church's involvement in this issue, but seriously, you can't possibly know how the vote would have gone had it not been a participant. That's an entirely subjective statement and you know it.

The mormons were going door knocking all over Calif. They spent millions of dollars spreading their lies on television, newspapers, the media. Prior to their involvement, the Field Poll said that Prop 8 would fail. considering that it only lost by a few percentage points tells me that it would have failed had there not been so many scare tactics played on an ignorant populace.

Old 11-19-2011, 07:27 PM

15,088 posts, read 16,986,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Perhaps because blacks know from personal experience what it truly means to be a real minority group. And therefore resent the completely bogus comparison to their experience that we so often see from "gay" activists.

"Gays" are as much a minority group as people who dye their hair green or tattoo their tongues.

Would not then the real minorities be homosexuals? After all, most races generally were the majority in their 'home' land and, therefore, enjoyed majority status until they interacted due to mass migrations, global exploration/expansion by various nations/cultures, warfare that brought the people of one nation into contact with people of another nation, and economic exchanges.

Minority 'status' did not apply until they were in a 'foreign' land where the majority was another race (or ethnic group). For example, Blacks are not a minority in most places in Africa. They don't have experience with minority discrimination in Africa based on race. Why would they? Everyone is black. Unless there is discrimination based on shades of black (entirely possible).

Black do have experience with discrimination based on tribal or family origin. But for that matter, every racial and ethnic has experience with this. There is also socioeconomic discrimination such that experienced by many in India. Wrong caste? Sorry, "get out". Interestingly, it is those who face that kind of discrimination in their 'home' countries who probably would not have the same discrimination in 'foreign' countries because the caste system does not exist everywhere.

On the other hand, homosexuals are minorities no matter where they are. Moving to another country (or going home) or moving up the socioeconomic ladder will not alleviate this status. Unless someone can think of a place where homosexuals have always been accepted, I think they do have experience as a real minority group.

Old 11-19-2011, 07:31 PM

1,730 posts, read 4,016,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Home - Log Cabin Republicans

Who We Are

Log Cabin Republicans is the nation's only organization of Republicans who support fairness, freedom, and equality for gay and lesbian Americans. Log Cabin has state and local chapters nationwide, full-time staff in Washington, DC, a federal political action committee, and state political action committees.

What We Believe

We are loyal Republicans. We believe in limited government, strong national defense, free markets, low taxes, personal responsibility, and individual liberty. Log Cabin represents an important part of the American family—taxpaying, hard working people who proudly believe in this nation's greatness. We also believe all Americans have the right to liberty and equality. We believe equality for gay and lesbian people is in the finest tradition of the Republican Party. We educate our Party about why inclusion wins. Opposing gay and lesbian equality is inconsistent with the GOP's core principles of smaller government and personal freedom.
I am shocked that the RINO term hasn't been thrown out yet by some of the conservatives on here.

Sincerely,

So Called Rino

Old 11-19-2011, 07:35 PM

21,298 posts, read 20,959,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
The mormons were going door knocking all over Calif. They spent millions of dollars spreading their lies on television, newspapers, the media. Prior to their involvement, the Field Poll said that Prop 8 would fail. considering that it only lost by a few percentage points tells me that it would have failed had there not been so many scare tactics played on an ignorant populace.
Well, then blame the ignorant populace. You're not the only person alive who has a brain.

Old 11-19-2011, 08:07 PM

17,414 posts, read 18,336,660 times
Why are African Americans obligated to be active participants who are available at the whims of every group facing a struggle/challenge/oppression in this country? Are we supposed to now be slave to every group that decides that WE should support their cause?

The gay community has not stood by the African American community in the fight against AIDS or any other cause for that matter. Not to mention that there is racism and discrimination within the gay community against gay/lesbian African Americans (or simply against African Americans in general). The discriminatory practices of White gays has been no secret. Racial/ethnic minorities in the gay community are basically only there to service and fulfill their "fantasies" and really are not treated as equals. But we (Black people) are still supposed to be obligated to march with them out of some sense of obligation? I think not.

Division, Diversity and Racism: Gay Community (Calgary)

http://gaydowntownla.tripod.com/id26.html

Racism in Gay/Lesbian/Bisexual/Transgender America - ColorQ Articles Etc

Gay Racism Must End - The Los Angeles Sentinel

Gay nightclub discriminated against Blacks

Is the gay scene racist? - Gay & Lesbian - Time Out london

Old 11-19-2011, 08:10 PM

7,699 posts, read 5,673,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post

Would not then the real minorities be homosexuals? After all, most races generally were the majority in their 'home' land and, therefore, enjoyed majority status until they interacted due to mass migrations, global exploration/expansion by various nations/cultures, warfare that brought the people of one nation into contact with people of another nation, and economic exchanges.

Minority 'status' did not apply until they were in a 'foreign' land where the majority was another race (or ethnic group). For example, Blacks are not a minority in most places in Africa. They don't have experience with minority discrimination in Africa based on race. Why would they? Everyone is black. Unless there is discrimination based on shades of black (entirely possible).

Black do have experience with discrimination based on tribal or family origin. But for that matter, every racial and ethnic has experience with this. There is also socioeconomic discrimination such that experienced by many in India. Wrong caste? Sorry, "get out". Interestingly, it is those who face that kind of discrimination in their 'home' countries who probably would not have the same discrimination in 'foreign' countries because the caste system does not exist everywhere.

On the other hand, homosexuals are minorities no matter where they are. Moving to another country (or going home) or moving up the socioeconomic ladder will not alleviate this status. Unless someone can think of a place where homosexuals have always been accepted, I think they do have experience as a real minority group.
Are kleptomaniacs a minority?

How about megalomaniacs?

Exhibitionists?

Aspergers?

Malingerers?

Obsessive-Compulsives?

Obese people?

Alcoholics?

Old 11-19-2011, 09:09 PM

15,088 posts, read 16,986,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Are kleptomaniacs a minority?

How about megalomaniacs?

Exhibitionists?

Aspergers?

Malingerers?

Obsessive-Compulsives?

Obese people?

Alcoholics?
Have individuals with one or all of these attributes been executed for being, for example, obese?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or