Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Choose the Country to be Born in where you would be considered "Poor"
Iran 0 0%
North Korea 4 4.82%
Brazil 2 2.41%
Sudan 1 1.20%
United States 59 71.08%
Mexico 0 0%
UK 16 19.28%
Indonesia 0 0%
China 1 1.20%
Russia 0 0%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 12:21 AM

33,532 posts, read 37,132,711 times

Advertisements

Funny thread, but I think I'll just stay where I'm happy...In Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 12:28 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,374,430 times
I chose the U.S. because despite the problems with our economy, I still believe I would have a better opportunity to work my way out of poverty here than anywhere else. The poor may get some better benefits elsewhere, but do they rise out of poverty as often in other countries as they do here?

Old 11-21-2011, 12:54 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,440,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Millions of immigrants as such are no problem, there is more than enough space in the US.
And those who emigrate for instance from Mexico to the US are usually people who do not want to be/stay poor, but work and get decently paid instead. Even illegal immigrants are only a problem because they may not work legally.

Yeah getting paid most of them under the table. Those employers who do hire them, need to be punished.

Don't bother telling me there are not getting paid under the table, when i know for fact they are.

The construction business is riddled with illegals getting paid under the table, just to save a buck, but their work sucks.
There may be a few who truly want to get ahead and work hard and become citizens the right way, the percentage is not good.

If these people truly want a better life, for real, and work hard for their family's then by gosh, why not come here the right way, as my ancestors had to, and many others on this forum, their ancestors also, who became citizens.
Most illegals who are here are sending their money back home to Mexico anyways.

Old 11-21-2011, 06:37 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
If I was poor and destined to stay poor, I'd prefer to live northern Europen countries as opposed to US. The poor in US live in true misery, and their chances of getting out of poverty are very low, much lower than the Europen poor.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 11-21-2011 at 07:31 AM..

Old 11-21-2011, 07:11 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,641,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
If I was poor and destibed to stay poor, I'd prefer to live northern Europen countries as opposed to US. The poor in US live in true misery, and their chances of getting out of poverty are very low, much lower than the Europen poor.
You must be someone who real world experience and knowledge of the U.S. and nothern Europe. Now watch as your are condemned as a blind ideologue by the blind ideologue for stating facts that dont' agree with their world view.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:18 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
If I was poor and destibed to stay poor, I'd prefer to live northern Europen countries as opposed to US. The poor in US live in true misery, and their chances of getting out of poverty are very low, much lower than the Europen poor.
Our poor have low chances of getting out of poverty but mostly because they are having more babies than any one, obviously they don't think being poor here is bad at all. Even the illegals have jumped onto that one, have many children here, sure you will never leave poverty but why would you want to?

Old 11-21-2011, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
You must be someone who real world experience and knowledge of the U.S. and nothern Europe. Now watch as your are condemned as a blind ideologue by the blind ideologue for stating facts that dont' agree with their world view.
I am a US citizen and have lived over 15 years in northern Europe. I have also lived in sub-saharan Africa, so I do know what true poverty is all about, but if we are comparing US to Europe, then it is what it is. For example, in US a lot of the poor never learned to read. What are their chances of crawling out of poverty? On Holland the chances of a poor person coming out of poverty are 44% while in US only about 28%.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:40 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
I am a US citizen and have lived over 15 years in northern Europe. I have also lived in sub-saharan Africa, so I do know what true poverty is all about, but if we are comparing US to Europe, then it is what it is. For example, in US a lot of the poor never learned to read. What are their chances of crawling out of poverty? On Holland the chances of a poor person coming out of poverty are 44% while in US only about 28%.
If you assume that the poor in the USA really would prefer to learn to read over having free cell phones and cable television and more food than one should even try to eat then you'd be right.

I'm pretty sure the USA spends a whole lot more on public education than just about any European country so it's not like the opportunity doesn't exist.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Our poor have low chances of getting out of poverty but mostly because they are having more babies than any one, obviously they don't think being poor here is bad at all.
You think people like living in trailers, or housing projects for the poor where they are surrounded by crime, violence, fear and depression? You think they WANT their kids to grow up in that kid of environment? Of course not. Why do you think suicide among the poor is common?

Old 11-21-2011, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
If you assume that the poor in the USA really would prefer to learn to read over having free cell phones and cable television and more food than one should even try to eat then you'd be right.
Why do you see having a cell phone or a TV and learning to read as a "one or the other, not both" choise? We are talking about US vs Europe, and people in both continents have cell phones, yet in N.Europe 100% of the population can read.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the USA spends a whole lot more on public education than just about any European country so it's not like the opportunity doesn't exist
Spending more doesn't equate to success, and statistics prove they are doing something right, and we are doing something wrong. US is actively trying to learn from Scandinavian school systems how thet operate because they want to learn why they are so successful. I hope they learn. One thing they already learned, and that is the fact that in Scandinavia teaching is a highly respected profession, while here it is not.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 11-21-2011 at 08:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies