U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 09:27 PM

1,435 posts, read 1,298,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
Every male has to sign up for selective service, so it's not that much of a stretch. I agree with mandatory military service; get people out of their cocoon of inherently trusting authority ASAP.
But as a member of the military, don't you have to trust authority? After all, the military is not a democracy.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:28 PM

7,288 posts, read 10,415,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls211 View Post
I think a 2 month Army boot camp would benefit the youth in today's country.Install some discipline at a young age and benefit the country as a whole. After the 2 months they can join the military or go back to civilian life. It would especially help those in an impoverished lifestyle from getting them out of the hood and out of a destructive path.Give them opportunities that they didn't know they had.I'm sure it would cost a lot of money to operate and I know it would never happen, but I think it would help so many people.Anyways it's just hypothetical, but a great idea.
I can't believe it, but I actually agree with this idea. It would help individuals and our country in the long run.

Old 11-20-2011, 01:06 AM

4,126 posts, read 4,344,695 times
In my experience, conscripts are the worst soldiers.

Old 11-20-2011, 01:25 AM

29,419 posts, read 18,058,846 times
Exactly right Joe_Ryder. If you want to watch the best military in the world be reduced to a rag tag unit then force a bunch of folks who don't want to be there to join. That makes no sense at all. Heck when I was in there were a few who volunteered and didn't want to be there and made things as tough as possible. They were snapped into line by their fellow troops though pretty quick. Imagine an entire unit who doesn't want to be there and didn't want to in the first place. Good luck drill seargent. What a mess. Not to mention the amount of money it would cost to outfit this army of misfits.

Old 11-20-2011, 01:46 AM

6,459 posts, read 5,938,449 times
Quote:
I think a 2 month Army boot camp would benefit the youth in today's country.Install some discipline at a young age and benefit the country as a whole. After the 2 months they can join the military or go back to civilian life. It would especially help those in an impoverished lifestyle from getting them out of the hood and out of a destructive path.Give them opportunities that they didn't know they had.I'm sure it would cost a lot of money to operate and I know it would never happen, but I think it would help so many people.Anyways it's just hypothetical, but a great idea.
So we can fight the battles of our masters? No thank you.

Old 11-20-2011, 02:57 AM

61,102 posts, read 30,991,503 times
Quote:

Why wait until 18?

These are things that were once a big part of public school.
The liberal PC crowd had most of it removed.

It is bad when a public school bans play balls, because they cause harm, damage and are dangerous.

Old 11-20-2011, 03:49 AM

5,368 posts, read 4,901,189 times
I'm way to bitchy. Boot camp would not have happened. I don't think it would go over well for most folks either.

Old 11-20-2011, 03:58 AM

6,387 posts, read 5,125,287 times
Quote:
The military is a "legal" school of violence. PhDs in murder.

Is that what you want young people to learn??

Peace!
brian

Old 11-20-2011, 04:11 AM

3,610 posts, read 3,598,946 times
Eh, I wouldn't be opposed to it. Obesity is rampant. I'd say 6 months. That or volunteer in a civil service position for 6 months before college.

Old 11-20-2011, 04:30 AM

2,767 posts, read 2,202,708 times
I don't know how some people think training people for warfare is the solution to anything. They say the military teaches discipline but I never see this discipline from ex-military people. I see aggression, impulsiveness, a lack of emotional intelligence, social disturbance and an inability to function in and adjust to civilian rules and life. Not saying they are all like that but some are just so convinced that a military lifestyle would transfer so well to civilian life, they end up causing more problems than they fix. Military training is about war, conflict, competition, beating an enemy and following orders like an inhuman robot. Your children and family are not a bunch of robots. Civilian life should be about peace, compromise and making friends of people. How anyone would think military training would promote a healthy civilian population is a mystery to me. They are two different animals. What is needed is not more military training but training in how to be a civilian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies