Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 06:29 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls211 View Post
I think a 2 month Army boot camp would benefit the youth in today's country.Install some discipline at a young age and benefit the country as a whole. After the 2 months they can join the military or go back to civilian life. It would especially help those in an impoverished lifestyle from getting them out of the hood and out of a destructive path.Give them opportunities that they didn't know they had.I'm sure it would cost a lot of money to operate and I know it would never happen, but I think it would help so many people.Anyways it's just hypothetical, but a great idea.
What happened to Dad?

Last edited by MIKEETC; 11-19-2011 at 06:49 PM..

Old 11-19-2011, 06:32 PM

1,435 posts, read 1,553,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Well I am in agreement that everyone should have to serve in the military, I disagree with what you are suggesting. It is not practical, is costly, and serves not useful purpose.
"Everyone should have to serve in the military?" WTF?!! What about freedom and liberty?

Old 11-19-2011, 06:34 PM

7,211 posts, read 9,431,660 times
Quote:
I think a 2 month Army boot camp would benefit the youth in today's country.Install some discipline at a young age and benefit the country as a whole. After the 2 months they can join the military or go back to civilian life. It would especially help those in an impoverished lifestyle from getting them out of the hood and out of a destructive path.Give them opportunities that they didn't know they had.I'm sure it would cost a lot of money to operate and I know it would never happen, but I think it would help so many people.Anyways it's just hypothetical, but a great idea.
We already have gang members who have infiltrated the military. Which is bad enough, but they then take what they have learned back out on the streets and back to their gangs. Is that what you want more of?

FBI Says Gangs Infiltrating the US Military

Gang Activity in the U.S. Military

Old 11-19-2011, 06:34 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,354,685 times
Quote:
Everyone should be required to go to boot camp when turning 18.
We've got a significant number of young adult Americans who think it would be fair for other Americans to pay for their college degrees. Others think they should freely own the fruits of other folks' labor. You want to send these people to a military boot camp? As tough as they are, there's no D.I. or T.I. whose ever lived who could redeem human detritus.

As a former biologist, I think America has sacrificed too many of its better genes on the battlefields of American history. We are now paying the price.

Old 11-19-2011, 06:35 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmforte View Post
"Everyone should have to serve in the military?" WTF?!! What about freedom and liberty?
Aint no such thing as a free lunch. Man up. Maybe if everyone had some skin in the game we would not have so many useless wars.

Old 11-19-2011, 06:37 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Aint no such thing as a free lunch. Man up. Maybe if everyone had some skin in the game we would not have so many useless wars.
The draft didn't prevent them and it gives the state a pool of pawns on demand, thus making it easier to wage war.

Old 11-19-2011, 06:39 PM

7,211 posts, read 9,431,660 times
Quote:
As long as the American electorate continues to support the two major parties, which is akin to giving them the okay, we'll continue to have useless wars..

Old 11-19-2011, 06:40 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times
good luck with that!

Old 11-19-2011, 06:41 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
The draft didn't prevent them and it gives the state a pool of pawns on demand, thus making it easier to wage war.
We had a draft with exemptions. No exemptions for the wealthy going to college. It is far too easy to send someone else's kid off to war not to mention it would be far cheaper. We would not have to pay to put advertisements on Nascar vehicles or recruiting offices all over the country. It would save a ton of money on bonuses etc.

Old 11-19-2011, 06:44 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,393,819 times
Quote:
You kidding? It wouldn't stick. With the obesity epidemic you'd have deaths. But colleges would have to adjust other employers. It works in Israel but they've also got a locked in feel where they are.

I think it's up to the parents. However, knowing your kid could do 50 push-ups and run 3 miles before being shipped off to college would be something to aim for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies