U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2011, 08:28 AM

20,006 posts, read 15,171,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Sounds like a good system to me.
So you prefer whiteyville? Not surprising. Many neo-progressives do.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 08:35 AM

12,439 posts, read 9,951,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Again, illogical conclusion, unless you believe that only white people have skills, money, and ability. Is that what you believe?

Old 11-20-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Again, illogical conclusion, unless you believe that only white people have skills, money, and ability. Is that what you believe?
I believe you prefer societies with relatively homogeneous populations. If that's your thing, God bless you and good luck with the immigration process.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:42 AM

1,736 posts, read 1,536,674 times
Quote:
You know, you seem to be very impressed with how ethnically homogenous America is. To the point of calling it "Whiteyville". Which is kinda 1961, but hey, if referring to the USA that way floats your boat, go right ahead.

But I don't really see how it is a political argument.

I mean, countries such as Germany and Sweden are only slightly more ethnically mixed than the USA. Tyhe stats are pretty close. Sure, Switzerland etc may be massively more mixed, but back in say, 1961, these countries were in fact less ethnically mixed than the USA! Of course, that was half a century ago.

But surely USA -whiteyville- could learn a bit from how more mixed countries hand their affairs?

Old 11-20-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
I believe you prefer societies with relatively homogeneous populations. If that's your thing, God bless you and good luck with the immigration process.
YOu would be wrong. Why speculate about what I believe? All you have to do is to ask. I believe that a country is better off by allowing immigration from other countries based on the needs of our country without consideration of what country they came from.

If we need doctors, which we do, allow immigration of young doctors who will qualify to practice here. Why take a person who is close to retirement but with no money to retire? Why take a person with 6 children but no skills to support them. These progressive countries have it right, and actually most real conservatives would agree on this issue. I am surprised that you don't. Are you not a real conservative?

Old 11-20-2011, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reader View Post
You know, you seem to be very impressed with how ethnically homogenous America is. To the point of calling it "Whiteyville". Which is kinda 1961, but hey, if referring to the USA that way floats your boat, go right ahead.
Whiteyville works quite well actually. It is kind of a more "in your face" remark. It does the job.

Quote:
But I don't really see how it is a political argument.
Of course it is. I dare anyone to find a society as diverse as ours with a comparable immigration policy that succeeds at creating a social welfare system. The hypothesis is that societies with a more homogenous population and relatively strict immigration policy are a prerequisite for creating a robust social welfare system. If you like those kinds of societies, more power to you.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:55 AM

1,736 posts, read 1,536,674 times
Quote:
Whiteyville works quite well actually. It is kind of a more "in your face" remark. It does the job.

Of course it is. I dare anyone to find a society as diverse as ours with a comparable immigration policy that succeeds at creating a social welfare system. The hypothesis is that societies with a more homogenous population and relatively strict immigration policy are a prerequisite for creating a robust social welfare system. If you like those kinds of societies, more power to you.
I was actually poking fun at your outdated notion that European countries are homogenous. Its not 1961 Today, many are far less homogenous than the USA. and in fact, some have always been so.

The American claim to diversity has always been suspect in any case.

Its not just that many European nations have greater percentages of foreign nationals in their populations today, but that the nations often span groups of people with different looks, religon, even languages.The USA, by comparison, is not just ethnically, but culturally homogenous to a degree that would be unthinkable in many European nations.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
I was actually poking fun at your outdated notion that European countries are homogenous. Its not 1961 Today, many are far less homogenous than the USA. and in fact, some have always been so.

The American claim to diversity has always been suspect in any case.

Its not just that many European nations have greater percentages of foreign nationals in their populations today, but that the nations often span groups of people with different looks, religon, even languages.The USA, by comparison, is not just ethnically, but culturally homogenous to a degree that would be unthinkable in many European nations.
Yes, he seems to be confused about the immigration policies of Europe. It is not based on race but a set of factors where you receive points all based on what you bring to the country.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:01 AM

4,260 posts, read 2,855,559 times
Im curious, these other countries. Do 2/3 of their populations not work? As is the case in this country.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
LOL, riiiiiight. Stats to back that up?

If they are so diverse and have so many foreigners, why the tough immigration standards that hotair was complaining about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies