Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 12:02 AM

1,767 posts, read 2,347,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

Does "President Bernake" have a nice ring to it ?

helicopter czar

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 02:37 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,908,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by handog View Post
Something big? Well let's see, five trillion dollars of new debt since Obama took office, the EU has begun what will soon be a complete economic melt down. The drum beats of war with Iran get louder each day.....No, every thing is fine.
pretty good summation.

i see that israel has shut down one of the radio stations:

The “All for Peace” radio station in Israel has been shut down by the nation’s Communications Ministry following claims that they were violating the law by illegally criticizing the far-right coalition government.

The Communications Ministry said the Hebrew-language broadcasts were illegal because they were “economically damaging” to other local radio stations, and said that since they were operating out of the West Bank they could not legally broadcast into Israel without special permission.

But MP Danny Danon, a top member of the ruling Likud Party, has boasted that he was responsible the shutdown, having pressed the Attorney General to shutter the station months ago before writing a letter demanding the Communications Ministry move against him. (end)

what we are seeing is governments around the world increasingly resorting to force, coups, and subterfuge to quell dissension.

governments have made promises that they cannot (and will not) keep, and this 1% doesn't want to lose its power.

mises had a good piece on "the 1 percent":
But there is another 1 percent out there, those who do live parasitically off the population and exploit the 99 percent. Moreover, there is a long intellectual tradition, dating back to the late Middle Ages, that draws attention to the strange reality that a tiny minority lives off the productive labor of the overwhelming majority.

I'm speaking of the state, which even today is made up of a tiny sliver of the population but is the direct cause of all the impoverishing wars, inflation, taxes, regimentation, and social conflict. This 1 percent is the direct cause of the violence, the censorship, the unemployment, and vast amounts of poverty, too.

the entire article here:
http://mises.org/daily/5776/The-State-is-the-1-Percent

Old 11-21-2011, 06:14 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,974,466 times
The OP exemplifies the sort of mind-set that foments all manner of nonsense: end of the world scenarios, conspiracy theories, history replaying itself in some momentous way, etc. Get a grip. Same old crap as ever.

Old 11-21-2011, 06:31 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,908,341 times
i will emphatically disagree with the above statement. it certainly isn't the same in the world as it always was.

there is major unrest in the world. egyptians are dying for their freedom, with over 20 dead now and 1,700 injured:

Casualties mount from protests in Egypt - CNN.com

Protesters flee Egyptian security forces

Tahrir Square -- once a center of euphoria following the ouster of longtime President Hosni Mubarak in February -- continues to be a major flashpoint for the unrest.

"People here feel that they have been cheated and that they have moved from an autocracy to a military dictatorship," protester Mosa'ab Elshamy said. "So they are back to the square -- back to square one -- to ask for their rights once again."

Egypt's parliamentary elections are set to take place November 28. But demonstrators are upset about a proposed constitutional principle that would shield the military's budget from scrutiny by civilian powers. They worry that the military would be shaped as a state within a state.

they worry with good reason, and the lamps aren't just going out in europe.

these coups can be bloodless or bloody, but they have the same net result-with the people losing their rights at self-determination.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:10 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,929,539 times
Anything can happen, people said this many times in the past, look at the 60s, we will survive, ok, some of us will

Old 11-21-2011, 12:42 PM

24,392 posts, read 23,044,056 times
My dogs been acting weird all morning. I wonder if an earthquake is getting ready?

Old 11-21-2011, 01:06 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
My dogs been acting weird all morning. I wonder if an earthquake is getting ready?
Could be.
Then again, maybe they know you have a turkey in the fridge.
Mine sure seem to

As for the OP: no, other than expecting that my waistline will be be bigger by the end of this week, but, that's pretty normal for this time of year.

Old 11-21-2011, 01:18 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,169,459 times
Wow, looking at this thread, I think some people need to calm down.

Old 11-21-2011, 01:19 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,929,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shpanda View Post
Wow, looking at this thread, I think some people need to calm down.
We agree on little, but on this we are on the same page

Old 11-21-2011, 01:23 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
Every so months... people come around and post that they feel something big is going to happen... I get a good laugh and then nothing happens...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies