Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 04:01 AM

67 posts, read 74,569 times

Advertisements

Politically speaking, I consider myself a moderate. However, if I happened to be a conservative, I'd be more irritated at Fox News than anyone from the left-wing. Why? Because that network discredits the conservative position with its over-the-top demagoguery, straw man arguments and misinformation. (Realize I'm being facetious when I ask this, but wouldn't it be hilarious if liberals secretly ran Fox News to discredit the conservative cause? Perhaps there is a "liberal" conspiracy in the news media.)

In all seriousness, intelligent conservatives would do themselves a favor by distancing themselves from Fox News.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 05:13 AM

2,735 posts, read 2,463,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindlemeister View Post
Politically speaking, I consider myself a moderate. However, if I happened to be a conservative, I'd be more irritated at Fox News than anyone from the left-wing. Why? Because that network discredits the conservative position with its over-the-top demagoguery, straw man arguments and misinformation. (Realize I'm being facetious when I ask this, but wouldn't it be hilarious if liberals secretly ran Fox News to discredit the conservative cause? Perhaps there is a "liberal" conspiracy in the news media.)

In all seriousness, intelligent conservatives would do themselves a favor by distancing themselves from Fox News.
Intelligent conservatives don't watch Fox News. Actually, intelligent Americans don't watch American news. There are so many great sources of information. Just stay away from the biased, crazy sources and you'll be fine.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:13 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,583,390 times
Lightbulb This ain't rocket science.

Quote:
Look, Fox "news" is a for-profit venture. They peddle slanted political drivel to an eager audience who slurp it down uncritically because it feeds their prejudices. And they make money doing it.

Quote:
The conservative movement has been pretty much absorbed by the religious right, which is why it's so angry, frightened, and dumb these days. Wealthy intelligent conservatives don't much care, because they understand that as long as the Fox audience can continue to be convinced that each and every election is about god, guns, and gays, they can slip their favorable tax legislation/armaments contracts through w/o much friction, so long as they keep getting compliant Republicans elected.

Intelligent nonwealthy conservatives? Well, they got nothing these days.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:14 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,054,512 times
The likelihood of Fox News being run by "deep cover Liberals" is nil. Unless some one is a seriously deranged tin foil hatter...conspiracies involving a multinational news company of tens of thousands of people really isn't going to happen. Not line some people don't think it about
Glenn Beck and Ann Coulter. The entire thing is just a "No True Scotsman" argument, where people don't like to see their ideas push to a distasteful extreme.

Fox News doesn't discredit conservatives, it discredits humanity.

“That to Fox, any editorial view that doesn't favor conservatism is elitist, but favoring conservatism is justified because it needs to be protected against liberal biases. And if you question this logic, it only proves how right they are.”
—Jon Stewart's depiction of Fox News and rationale for Bias 06/28/11

Old 11-20-2011, 07:40 AM

67 posts, read 74,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
The likelihood of Fox News being run by "deep cover Liberals" is nil. Unless some one is a seriously deranged tin foil hatter...conspiracies involving a multinational news company of tens of thousands of people really isn't going to happen.
To reiterate, I was being completely facetious when I asked, wouldn't it be hilarious if liberals secretly ran Fox News to discredit the conservative cause. But I do agree with you that Fox News discredits humanity. Good call.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:45 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,163 times
There is some serious tinfoil hattery going on here.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:47 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,204,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
Look, Fox "news" is a for-profit venture. They peddle slanted political drivel to an eager audience who slurp it down uncritically because it feeds their prejudices. And they make money doing it.

The conservative movement has been pretty much absorbed by the religious right, which is why it's so angry, frightened, and dumb these days. Wealthy intelligent conservatives don't much care, because they understand that as long as the Fox audience can continue to be convinced that each and every election is about god, guns, and gays, they can slip their favorable tax legislation/armaments contracts through w/o much friction, so long as they keep getting compliant Republicans elected.

Intelligent nonwealthy conservatives? Well, they got nothing these days.
I think you're right on this, except that there's a silent majority, or at least half of the R party, that isn't part of the religious right, and also isn't part of the big money/power structure. They're starting to get fed up with the craziness, and becoming more vocal. You can lean conservative on economic issues and not feed into the loonies on the rest.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:53 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,583,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
There is some serious tinfoil hattery going on here.

Serious?

Come on, now. Only the tin hatters (aka teabaggers) take the hattery seriously. But they're a good part of the Fox audience.

tin foil and kool-aid: made for each other

Old 11-20-2011, 09:02 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,054,512 times
Quote:
To reiterate, I was being completely facetious when I asked, wouldn't it be hilarious if liberals secretly ran Fox News to discredit the conservative cause. But I do agree with you that Fox News discredits humanity. Good call.
Oh yeah, I know...but there are a ton of people that actually do believe it (including a number here).

There is honestly no need, if anyone even could stomach doing it, as cranks and nuts seem to have explosive diarrhea of the mind that none can hold in. Although Colbert has been mistaken for being completely genuine by a number of viewers of Fox News...and politicians have used Jack Bauer (from 24) to support torture. That is more like a small child that can't distinguish fictional TV from reality, which says a lot about people who support Fox News.

The great thing about Fox News is that it identifies the willfully ignorant, uneducated, and mentally ill so I know who to avoid.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:44 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
I see a lot of misinformed, biased posts on here from the left. Not surprised though. I keep saying, the so-called liberals on C-D like to THINK they are the unbiased and unbrainwashed ones, but sorry kiddos, that is not the case either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies