Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 12:31 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,383,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
Bingo I feel the same way.
I moved out of a Majority Black Neighborhood a few years ago.

Sadly I do my best to avoid certain neighborhoods and cities, and when I do have to visit I have Iphone in hand and just tune everyone and everything out around me.
Some people in those neighborhoods and cities just rather blame everyone else rather then look in the mirror. Some refuse to accept THEY (THEMSELVES) are the problem.
I would suggest keeping your Iphone hidden and not use it in such areas. Not only are they thug magnets but you want to be aware of your surroundings.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:31 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,944,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Hey Bro,

You are welcome in my hood any day. I won't call the cops on you.

Umm...that would be sis and thanks but no thanks

Old 11-21-2011, 12:32 PM

13,631 posts, read 20,727,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
Umm...that would be sis and thanks but no thanks
Ooops...sorry. Just kidding around. You make some good points.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:33 PM

450 posts, read 502,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
It was a poorly worded question. There were no qualifiers as to 'nice', 'middle-class' or 'inner-city'. It was written as a blanket indictment that Black neighborhoods are more dangerous than White ones.

To continue it the argument is also predicated on the incorrect fact that all Black neighborhoods are poor or poverty stricken. Continuing the question also leaves out the possibility of a rough, white neighborhood.

The OP didn't criticize a subset- he indicted the entire populace.
I see your point but I disagree. Even if you take the OP question as literal as you possibly can. It is still a factually true statement or assertion.

What I'm saying you're saying he indicted an entire populace by not specifically calling out just poor black neighborhoods.

What I'm saying is He didn't.

For example if you take poor, middle, upper class black neighborhoods add them up and pit them against poor, middle, upper class WHITE neighborhoods in violent crime statistics.

Black neighborhoods (which again includes poor, middle, upper class blacks neighborhoods) statistically (violent crimes occurring in each of the classes added up) STILL far outweigh all white neighborhoods (which includes poor, middle, upper class neighborhoods).

So again the question had validity to it. Even when you add up ALL classes of Black ppl the neighboorhoods are MORE DANGEROUS than all classes of WHITE neighborhoods.

He wasn't indicting all blacks OR saying that ALL black neighborhoods are poor and poverty stricken.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:35 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,944,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Nope. The descendants of slaves have carried with them some of the pathologies of the plantation. One being don't air our business in front of white folks. That's a big no-no to them. So while they begrudgingly acknowledge the facts they don't want to give too much shine to them.

This thinking is backwards and frankly indicative of a slave mentality. If you can't acknowledge there is a problem you can never come to a solution.

Since I'm not a descendant of slaves I'm free from such mental constraints and can clearly and objectively analyze a set of facts without becoming emotional.

I know plenty of people that are not descendents of slaves and do not have your attitude. As a matter of fact, only a very small portion of my genetic make up is descended from slaves. It isn't about becoming emotional but maybe if someone told you that all people of African descent are basically lazy, stupid, criminal thugs you would have something to say about it. What you don't seem to realize is that the fact that you are not the descendent of slaves does not make you any different to the klan or skinheads, no matter how much you kiss their behinds or try to prove that you are some exception.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:36 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,384,639 times
Quote:
Nope. The descendants of slaves have carried with them some of the pathologies of the plantation. One being don't air our business in front of white folks. That's a big no-no to them. So while they begrudgingly acknowledge the facts they don't want to give too much shine to them.

This thinking is backwards and frankly indicative of a slave mentality. If you can't acknowledge there is a problem you can never come to a solution.

Since I'm not a descendant of slaves I'm free from such mental constraints and can clearly and objectively analyze a set of facts without becoming emotional.
No offense, but if you and say, Kobe Bryant, wandered into a Klan Rally in Alabama, I'm not sure that your African Heritage (as you were born here) would protect you, they tend not to slice things that fine. Not sure a robust Nigerian accent would make the Klan salute.

This is America, land of gross generalizations.

In the film 'Hotel Rwanda', the UN Peacekeeper is exasperated, tells Don Cheadle's African Hotel Manager that the UN can't help the atrocities he's seen- he blankly states "You're not even neggras, you're Africans."

To think you live near a flagship HBCU, Howard, in a city with a large and influential Black middle and upper class and still have no pride is hard to stomach.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:38 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,384,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2flyy View Post
I see your point but I disagree. Even if you take the OP question as literal as you possibly can. It is still a factually true statement or assertion.

What I'm saying you're saying he indicted an entire populace by not specifically calling out just poor black neighborhoods.

What I'm saying is He didn't.

For example if you take poor, middle, upper class black neighborhoods add them up and pit them against poor, middle, upper class WHITE neighborhoods in violent crime statistics.

Black neighborhoods (which again includes poor, middle, upper class blacks neighborhoods) statistically (Adding up violent crimes in each of the classes) STILL far outweigh all white neighborhoods (which includes poor, middle, upper class neighborhoods).

So again the question had validity to it. Even when you add up ALL classes of Black ppl the neighboorhoods are MORE DANGEROUS than all classes of WHITE neighborhoods.

He wasn't indicting all blacks OR saying that ALL black neighborhoods are poor and poverty stricken.
And I'm saying the causation for crime is poverty. Control for SES and compare an upper class Black enclave with an upper class white enclave and those differences disappear.

Simpler put- and I want an answer- among people earning greater than $250k a year is the incarceration or violent crime rate higher for Blacks than Whites? Or all things being even, if you were attacked, shot, killed by someone making $250k a year, you're saying they're more likely to be Black.

Again, leaving selective prosecution off the table.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:44 PM

450 posts, read 502,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
I don't know about you, but I have been in plenty of these threads and almost each and every time "black culture" is blamed and some poster tells me that it is my duty as a black person to do something about black culture - why would I be responsible for all black people anymore than these stereotypes do not encompass all black people?

I also know that any time someone makes a negative thread about white people (I could prove this very easily) it gets deleted. Furthermore, these threads never make a distinction between bad black people and good black people, so how else would someone take it? When anyone else attempts to make a distinction based on socio-economic satus and points out that this is NOT all black neighborhoods, the racist posters either ignore it or point out something about how poor white neighborhoods have less crime which only proves that the whole point of these threads is to bash blacks.

When I need to admit that a neighborhood is bad, I wil but not just to fulfill someone's need to bash black people. There are people that state facts because they care - kind of like a parent telling a child that she is wrong, then there are those who do so because of their own selfish reasons or to be destructive - these types of threads fall into one of the latter categories. This is why I have a problem with it and I have been here long enough to know that there is no good in these threads and that the "point" is nothing positive.
I definitely see your point. Although I tend to give ppl the benefit of the doubt, I do see where you're coming from.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:45 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,214,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
I could be wrong but EdwardA is black..
Many members on here also claim to be millionaires who can take on a gang of thugs. Not sure if I believe them.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:45 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,467,295 times
Quote:
I wish you folks would make up your minds. Is there one monolithic Black culture or not? One hand many of you say there is no monolithic culture and that the "ghetto culture" is but one aspect. Yet the same people seem put off that I don't consider myself a typical Black American and that my posting style is "white". Which would suggest that there is one monolithic Black culture and by straying from it I can't possibly be black.
Dear Edward,

There is not monolithic culture. But to be born in America and to be of African heritage make you a part of this so-called "Black Culture." This so called "Black culture" is very diverse because everyone in the culture adds their own flavor to it. There is no "Black culture is this or black culture is that. This so-called "Black culture" is actually American culture and we are all a part of it whether you like it or not. So to basically hate "Black Culture" whatever you may perceive it to be in your myopic eyes would essentially be to hate American culture in itself. The more you know...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies