Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 05:34 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
LOL....completely disregarding the question as to why Tampa PD needs a tank.....I can fully appreciate the need to trot it out at an Occupy protest. Not that I don't support OWS' right to protest, but because after seeing the idiots and idiocy of the protests it just makes me laugh that they'd be accosted by such machinery!
And then cities have the nerve to cry budget cuts and police, firemen and teachers will all be out of jobs.

To wheel out a monstrosity like this should be a slap in the face to Tampa taxpayers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 08:40 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I guess a better way to describe it would be that it lacks the "flinch factor" of a cannon or mounted .50cal etc
The "flinch factor?" Okay, that works. Be a great "reality show."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I didn't realize how pathetically armored those things were. I can only imagine what a jerry-rigged 155mm artiller round would do to that pop can from 40 yards.
Nasty (even if it has a spalling liner to reduce spalling).

Oh, fuel cell is left rear. I was thinking of the Bradley's (before they moved the fuel cells underneath). All the 113s/557s were upgraded from gasoline to diesel, because diesel has a higher ignition point for one thing. Unless you're using incendiary rounds, shooting at the fuel cell won't do much (it's self-sealing), but any explosive device, HEAT round, KE round would ignited the diesel and you'd have a shake and bake, or I guess shake and barbecue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
To wheel out a monstrosity like this should be a slap in the face to Tampa taxpayers.
The people of Tampa are used to it.

Remember, they got stuck with the "People Mover."

That's almost as bad as the $48 Million transit center Cincinnati built that is locked up 275 days a year.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:56 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,730,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Those are all lies.

It is not bullet resistant. It is 13 mm of standard military grade aluminum (which is about 97% aluminum alloyed with chromium, titanium and magnesium).

Anything over 9 mm fired point blank will punch right through (I'm talking handguns here).

7.62 mm will penetrate from less than 500 meters, and anything that is 11-7/.50 cal will penetrate from up to to 2,000 meters.

It can drive through 5 feet of water very, very slowly during which time it is incredibly vulnerable to attack. If you have the snorkeling equipment, you can swim through deeper water.

It cannot carry 13 passengers. In theory it has a crew of 2 and can carry 11 troops. The crew is the driver and TC, the squad leader would sit directly behind the TC facing the ramp, and 10 troops, five on either side. That would be really, really cramped (and by the way, the fuel cells are in the ramp).

And it cannot go 60 mph. Maybe if you were going down-hill, but you wouldn't be able to walk or even stand up for about 20 minutes afterward (you'd be so banged up it wouldn't be funny).

Typical road speed is about 35 mph. Maybe 15-20 mph off-road (depending on terrain).

Decking on the roof is thinner armor, about 7-8 mm.

An IED would do a number on a 113/557. You can get a mobility kill by destroying/damaging the road-wheels or tread.

No one ever said journalists were intelligent.

I take it you've never seen what a body looks like after a tracked-vehicle has rolled over one.

so in short,, you are saying this scarecrow contraption is a waste of tax payers money??

i bet if it ran over some protesters it wouldn't look pretty

Old 11-21-2011, 09:02 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,010,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And then cities have the nerve to cry budget cuts and police, firemen and teachers will all be out of jobs.

It's a piece of antiquated surplus with a nice paint job. I'd be amazed if the city paid more than $200 for the APC.

Having said that it seems like overkill for the OWS pinheads.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:00 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
That is to protect and serve?

Ya, right!

That is there to suppress the people.
The police state is here to stay.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:09 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
That is one good looking M113. BTW, it's an armored personel carrier, not a tank...don't see no big azz gun do ya?
In Vietnam they typically were mounted with .50 cals on the ring turret. They were actually used more widely than tanks during that war. It's a good piece of equipment, though thinly armored. I reckon a barrett would hole it straight-on in the side.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:16 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The police state is here to stay.
We can change that in November 2012. Probably the last chance for it to happen.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:18 PM

38,644 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
OK, but just keep in mind that it is fair game for the same government to apply that same argument if and when some day some right wing folks are protesting government "taking away their rights" or "overstepping their authority". Hey, they were blocking the sidewalk so we had to pull out the AK......

Really don't see the middle-aged lawn chair crowd getting pepper sprayed as they collect litter after their peaceful Tea Party rally.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:30 PM

414 posts, read 907,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Conservatives are always whining about big government oppression and how they need to arm themselves to protect themselves against the government. Then some liberals with signs start getting "uppity" and these same conservatives call for a quasi-military crackdown with boots in faces and trunchons in ribs. Nice.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever."
--Orwell

And this is shocking to anyone? Don't you get it, they want it both ways. When someone is seen as trampling on their rights, its break out the guns and militias. But when its someone they disagree with rights that are getting stepped on, by all means keep on stepping harder and harder.

Nice double standard huh? Hypocrites much?

Old 11-21-2011, 10:44 PM

46,948 posts, read 25,984,404 times
That has got to be the silliest piece of law enforcement technology I've ever seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies