Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 07:57 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Many of our jets didn't have guns, at all. This proved to be a mistake. They went to full missile air to air warfare. Lost all of our dog fighting ability. The jets were fast, but unmanuverable.
F-100s had 4 20mm cannons, F-105s as well as some model F-4s had rotary cannons, what "many of our jets didn't have guns" are you referring to?

Last edited by burdell; 11-22-2011 at 08:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 08:51 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,867,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
F-100s had 4 20mm cannons, F-105s as well as some model F-4s had rotary cannons, what 'many of our jets didn't have guns" are you referring to?
The first F-4s went into service without cannons. New theories on air warfare believed that cannons were as obsolete as cavalry and missiles would be more effective. They fared poorly against the North Vietnamese MiGs since the accuracy of the missiles weren't 100% and you have less ammo to work with. Cannons were added back on shortly after the reports came back to the Pentagon telling them what an incredibly bad idea it was to send fighters into a dogfight with a close-range weapon.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:54 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,187,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
They fared poorly against the North Vietnamese MiGs .
The MIG-21 was faster than an F-4, could climb faster than, and turn inside an F-4. Ironically, a MIG-21 was shot down in Vietnam by an A-1 Skyraider (propeller powered), and an F-4 was shot down by a Korean War vintage MIG-15.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:54 AM

50,239 posts, read 46,991,184 times
Quote:
The first F-4s went into service without cannons. New theories on air warfare believed that cannons were as obsolete as cavalry and missiles would be more effective. They fared poorly against the North Vietnamese MiGs since the accuracy of the missiles weren't 100% and you have less ammo to work with. Cannons were added back on shortly after the reports came back to the Pentagon telling them what an incredibly bad idea it was to send fighters into a dogfight with a close-range weapon.
If I remember correctly they were pod mounted and took away from other payload.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:
A just war?

For WHO?

The MIC?
The goals of the war itself were just. The way it was carried out was not.

The North Vietnamese and Viet Cong were basically the same as all Communist tyrants, they wanted an oppressive totalitarian state. Specifically they wanted to absorb another country into their currently existing one.

Seeing as how the NVA and VC routinely committed their own My Lai style massacres and the fact that thousands of North Vietnamese escaped to the South and literally hundreds of thousands fled South Vietnam to the West when the North finally defeated the South.

Obviously, the carpet bombing of Laos and Cambodia, the later stages of the Phoenix Program, use of defoliants like Agent Orange, massacres committed by American and allied forces such as My Lai and Binh Hoa, the overuse of Free Fire Zones, the Strategic Hamlets program, and so on obviously saps a lot of the moral credibility of the war, but ultimately Vietnam would have been much better off had the US and South Vietnam won.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:14 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,187,728 times
Quote:
massacres committed by American and allied forces such as My Lai and Binh Hoa,
Binh Hoa? What massacre? I worked at Binh Hoa; it was a major US Air Base just north of Saigon.

I understand and respect your position that the war was a just war. I had the same belief at one time. And yes, the VC and NVA were brutal and commited horrible atrocities. I remember the VC throwing half-American babies into the air and shooting then during Tet '68.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:16 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,375,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
So some pentagon idiot said we should take the guns off our aircraft and Vietnam taught us that it was a bad idea?

How many had to die to prove the idiots in the pentagon wrong?

Drones are worse in that they are removing accountability from warfare.

Military lessons are often that hard to come by. History is full of them.

Its reality.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:19 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,375,785 times
Quote:
why?

The Holocaust in color Nazi rising terror and concentration camps - YouTube

Because man is evil, and good, and everything in between, and that will likely never change, ever.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:22 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
The goals of the war itself were just. The way it was carried out was not.
Really?

How so?

The only part of the 'Domino Theory' proven correct was if the pizza's not there in 30 minutes it's free.

Just how has life in America been negatively impacted by South Vietnam going communist?

It was a civil war we had no good reason for entering.

IF communist countries are such a dire threat why are shelves throughout the US littered with communist made products.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Binh Hoa? What massacre? I worked at Binh Hoa; it was a major US Air Base just north of Saigon.

I understand and respect your position that the war was a just war. I had the same belief at one time.
A massacre of about 400 civilians in 1966 by South Korean marines at a village named Binh Hoa in Quang Ngai province (I had to look that bit up).

Binh Hoa massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Searching for Binh Hoa - Travel - Salon.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies