Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 09:27 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,731,507 times

Advertisements

what companies made the bombs,?? they surly must have made a killing

big money making bombs..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 09:28 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Really?

How so?

The only part of the 'Domino Theory' proven correct was if the pizza's not there in 30 minutes it's free.

Just how has life in America been negatively impacted by South Vietnam going communist?

It was a civil war we had no good reason for entering.

IF communist countries are such a dire threat why are shelves throughout the US littered with communist made products.

You are protesting a conflict that ended decades ago. I don't know anyone who thinks that Vietnam was a good idea for us to get into.

But what I have been debating here is the military tactics, and the outcomes on our military after the conflict.

I can't defend the conflict, period. I don't like the reasoning or the rational. I can't defend the rational behind the current Iraq war, or the Desert Storm, or Afghanistan.

But hindsight is 20/20, and learning from the lessons of Vietnam and how we can better bring those lessons to our current military actions are quite another from defending the conflict.

Notice, I say conflict, because Congress never declared war.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:29 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

The Holocaust in color Nazi rising terror and concentration camps - YouTube

Because man is evil, and good, and everything in between, and that will likely never change, ever.
How many non-combatant Japanese did we kill with a-bombs, or German citizens with the carpet bombing of Dresden?
How many attrocities did our "ally" the Russians commit, while we did nothing?
Our own diabolical government has the blood of innocents on it's hands.
Your logic doesn't add up.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:33 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
You are protesting a conflict that ended decades ago. I don't know anyone who thinks that Vietnam was a good idea for us to get into.
What part of a poster's "The goals of the war itself were just" are you having difficulty with?

Quote:
Notice, I say conflict, because Congress never declared war.
I don't give a rat's ass if you say Ice Cream Social, it was a damn useless, purposeless WAR of choice.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
How many non-combatant Japanese did we kill with a-bombs, or German citizens with the carpet bombing of Dresden?
How many attrocities did our "ally" the Russians commit, while we did nothing?
Our own diabolical government has the blood of innocents on it's hands.
Your logic doesn't add up.

As awful as dropping the atomic bomb was, there were no "non combatant" Japanese.

They either took up arms and fought to the death, or they killed themselves rather then surrender.

Germans supported their leader, and most that didn't left the country.

War is hell, and when you have reason, you've got to bring down the hammer, the nail, and your total force to end it as quickly, with as few casualties to both sides as possible.

You will find disagreement with me, and most people who lived in 1945 on whether or not we should have used the bomb. Its likely it saved more lives, Japanese and Americans, then it took.

I pray for peace, but I'm ready for war if it comes. That is the prayer of a soldier.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
What part of a poster's "The goals of the war itself were just" are you having difficulty with?

I don't give a rat's ass if you say Ice Cream Social, it was a damn useless, purposeless WAR of choice.

Vietnam was a blow off valve for the super powers, period. The Chinese and Russians were fighting a psuedo war with America, and the Vietnamese were in the middle.

Thats why I said, the Vietnamese, north and south, were the biggest losers in that war. They died.

I care what it was called, because we haven't declared war since Korea. We should hold congress to the flames, and force them to declare war, not to "fund military actions".

It makes people think, and it points out all of the reasons, or lack thereof, to go to war.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:33 AM

4,538 posts, read 4,811,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
We didn't win anything but that was not the fault of the US Military. Like our failure in Korea the lack of will of the American people tied the hands of those tasked with the fighting...
I think the failure, aside from stupid US foreign policy, is the 'lack of will' of the American people to stand up to the government war-machine, and tell them that if they want to pick a fight with another country that has not attacked us, that they can send THEIR asses over there to fight!

Old 11-22-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
I think the failure, aside from stupid US foreign policy, is the 'lack of will' of the American people to stand up to the government war-machine, and tell them that if they want to pick a fight with another country that has not attacked us, that they can send THEIR asses over there to fight!

About 70% of Americans disagreed with the war in 1971. Nixon was largely elected because he promised to end the war.

The American people said no. But times were good, so they didn't care if we built our military to stop the Russians from invading.

Military spending in the 70's had little to do with Vietnam, it was the cold war.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:51 AM

6,205 posts, read 7,460,466 times
As someone who opposed that war, I still find the OP dubious.
How a thread like that pops up out of the blue? At best, it belongs to
to the history forum. But the sign of a propagandist is that he can't
hold back from attacking the US in any way or form. If needed they'll
go back to the civil war, or the punic wars if it helps attack America
one more time.
But my kudos to Vietnam. Unlike the OP or countries that continue living
the past, the vietnamese don't blow themselves up everyday to avange the past.
Instead, they chose to look forward with hope, while building their
economy and country.

Last edited by oberon_1; 11-22-2011 at 12:07 PM..

Old 11-22-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
As someone who opposed that war I still find the OP dubious.
How a thread like that pops up out of the blue? At best, it belongs to
to the history forum. But the sign of a propagandist is that he can't
hold back from attacking the US in any way or form. If needed they'll
go back to the civil war, or the punic wars if it helps attack America
one more time.

Vietnam in HD aired on the history channel last week. I learned a lot actually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies