Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 06:08 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Think you have enough generalizations in there? Do go ahead and try a few more.
Apparently, you're trying to defend the negative comments made about your generation by slamming another.
Your posts indicate that you're part of the problem and have no clue about the solution.

Every generation has issues and problems and struggles that other generations don't understand fully. You simply can't. I don't know what all of the issues my great-grandparents who emigrated from Europe dealt with, nor of my grandparents or all of the issues of my parents lives, nor of the generation or two that came after me. It's not easy for any generation. Our population has greatly increased in the past 70 years and there aren't jobs for everyone. You can no longer make a living in manufacturing, because there is little manufacturing in the US.

Some European countries do something interesting. They ensure that there are jobs for unskilled and skilled labor in different communities.

The US moved away from this possible solution because of greed and the bottom line.

Do you really think that any generation has control?

That said, I have some young friends in their 20s and I think they're wonderful; the world is new to them and they haven't been beaten down by the system. They'll find their own way, they always do.

well said. I have college students (age 20-23) as tenants. they are clean, go to nursing school and work as well.

They are not irresponsible, and polite.

The same cannot be said for men in their 50's and 60s in this area, who let the door slam in their wifes face while they walk into " La Panera"...but thats prolly just "hillbilly culture" lol, for a diffferent thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 06:14 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,093,627 times
I was born in 84, and I have to agree, my generation and Gen Z are the worst generations of Americans this country has ever seen. The generation before Gen X were responsible for the creation of the computer, internet, and played a role in GM's electric car called the EV1. Gen X, after they finished partying and decided to "sell out to the man" were responsible for further advancements and improvements to the internet.

Gen X, Y & Z have largely benefited from those advancements, and although there were a few who used that to their advantage to create tools like Facebook or Youtube to create their own wealth, the rest of us have been mediocre compared to the achievements of Gen X and previous generations.

Gen Z are the most narcissistic of all, thanks to social networks like Facebook which provide a false sense of self worth to most that use it. Elementary kids who brainwash their parents into buying them smartphones so that other kids think they're cool, even corporate America recognizes that, and advertises in a way to shame their parents into buying something they don't really need, but if they don't have it, then they're not cool. Like the Toyota Highlander ads. Gen Y & Z are the most exploitable by corporate America as well, as long as they saw it on Youtube, then it automatically becomes cool, even if its just viral marketing by corporate America.

To those who keep bringing up who serve in the armed forces and fight wars in the middle east, whats so respectable about a technologically advanced generation that grew up playing video games, armed with high tech weaponry, fighting those who are literally stuck in the dark ages? Even with all the technology at their disposal, America still loses to militia's that are barely literate.

The boomers are at fault to a certain extent, they're primarily responsible for all the sprawl American cities have, it is the boomers that are the developers as well that encourage unnecessary sprawl and the wasting of land. They were also responsible for a lot of great movies that came out during the 80's. But it is primarily Gen X's actions that caused the recent financial collapse, for a generation that were skeptical of corporate America during their youths, they took out credit and abused it like a drug addict, inflating housing prices to unnecessary levels until finally a market correction occurred.

But that's just America, Gen X & Y of Europe have accomplished many things, same goes for Asia. It's just America thats rotting from the inside, too lazy and spoiled off the innovations of the generations before them that created such a high standard of living for their time that the current generations see no reason to improve upon, where the rest of the Northern hemisphere is exceeding our standard of life because they didn't benefit from such a high standard of living that younger Americans took for granted, and which is mainly why the country's infrastructure is falling apart, we're too lazy to do anything about it, and we've been brainwashed into thinking this country is the best at everything, so it's impossible for many to comprehend there are places outside of America with a higher standard of life.

The only hope for America are immigrants, they're the only ones that can bring progress to this country, the natives are too incompetent to change anything.

Last edited by nedergras; 11-22-2011 at 06:34 PM..

Old 11-22-2011, 07:10 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
This is what Occupy Wall St is about, and 90% of OWS protesters fall within the 18-25 age range as do most posters on this forum. They are angry because they have had to borrow so much for college and can't find jobs, which they are partially justified in their anger. That said, they should be held to the same standard as everyone else. They took out the loans - pay them or have ruined credit. Thats what this generation doesn't realize, that there are consequences for actions.

This is a typical moment for most people in this generation.

Spoiled Girl Gets Car - Wrong Color - YouTube

Once again, its not their fault. I blame the dad for this entire situation and not MacKenzie. He should have immediately returned the car and told her she would have to buy her own if she wanted it, no questions asked.
And how many OWS protesters represent the total number of the 18-25 population. I'll bet dollars to donuts that they are a small percentage of the total number of that age group.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:35 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,373,749 times
I was born in 79. I'm now 32, have served in the military, have 2 kids, own my own home, have a good job, paid my student loans. My parents taught me that nothing comes for free. The OP is a generalizing idiot.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:46 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
Wow... way to generalize and show hatred. As a person born between 1970 and 1990, I'll proudly say, NO, we're not "the worst generation ever."

FYI - It was primarily the Baby Boomers (and those in the generation before them) who got us into the mess we're in now.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:01 PM

943 posts, read 781,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinE View Post
Nothing of any real worth has been produced by those born post 1970. Sure there is Google and Facebook, but they pale in comparison to the achievements of generations past.
Those born in the early 80's are only in their early thirties and very late 20's. How can they achieve anything yet considering they are still quite young???

Old 11-22-2011, 08:25 PM

32,059 posts, read 15,040,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinE View Post
Nothing of any real worth has been produced by those born post 1970. Sure there is Google and Facebook, but they pale in comparison to the achievements of generations past.
I'm not sure what achievements of the past you are referring to so I can't comment on that. I do think the kids of this generation have it harder. Yes some are spoiled but those seem to be the only ones you hear about......drinking and partying in college.....parents pay for everything. But some work extremely hard yet you never hear about them. There are not many jobs right now so some of the kids decide to continue their education with grad school with the hope that this will make them more desirable. Unfortunately that is not always the case. I've read comments here about kids majoring in useless subjects like basket weaving. My kids just graduated so I know all the majors and none of them are useless. So I have no idea what colleges have these kind of majors. Can anyone name a few.
I didn't go to college but got a minimum wage job and was able to afford my own studio apartment which was really nice and in a great neighborhood. Who can do that these days.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:31 AM

7,374 posts, read 8,757,439 times
Boy what an outrageous OP ...

What generation sat by and did nothing after their president was assassinated on television in full daylight, but instead simply sat by and accepted what their government told them about what happened?

And then watched as his brother was assassinated right after he won the election? And watched Martin L. King be assassinated right along with them?

My generation may not be the best generation this country has known, but we are probably the first generation to wake up to the fact that things are not as they appear in this nation or in this world.

Last edited by Ironmaw1776; 11-23-2011 at 12:00 PM..

Old 11-23-2011, 11:43 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
holy crap stop the Blame Game ... People need to stop blaming others and take personal responsibility for their Actions and Life Choices.

If you do not like the Current Situation you are in then get off your Ass and do something about it... Instead of sitting around trying to find blame in Others.

Hard work and living within your means is the New Normal and how it is going to be and how it always should have been.. So get over it and get on with it...

Old 11-23-2011, 03:33 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,292,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
This is what Occupy Wall St is about, and 90% of OWS protesters fall within the 18-25 age range as do most posters on this forum. They are angry because they have had to borrow so much for college and can't find jobs, which they are partially justified in their anger. That said, they should be held to the same standard as everyone else. They took out the loans - pay them or have ruined credit. Thats what this generation doesn't realize, that there are consequences for actions.

This is a typical moment for most people in this generation.

Spoiled Girl Gets Car - Wrong Color - YouTube

Once again, its not their fault. I blame the dad for this entire situation and not MacKenzie. He should have immediately returned the car and told her she would have to buy her own if she wanted it, no questions asked.
At least we are smart enough to recognize a fake video when we see it. This is the first of a bunch of viral ads from Domino's pizza.

I guess this is a typical moment for the older generation, old timers are gullible enough to believe anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies