U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 05:45 PM

255 posts, read 437,354 times

Advertisements

Call it the "American" Party.

Majority of Americans are probably at neither extreme of the political spectrum today. So it is probably a ripe time for a third party who will represent the middle-of-the-road voters.

For example, ideologies could be:
- Budget/fiscal policies: raise taxes and cut spending together.
- Gun policies: right to arm with serious checks to criminals/lunatics.
- Social policies: responsible (not uncontrolled) abortion rights. True religious freedom.

The list can go on-and-on. The motivation is that our government will never solve any problem with the bipolar bickering that is so destructive nowadays.

Either a one-party government (like China) or a three-party government (like Canada) seems to work better than us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 05:52 PM

6,237 posts, read 8,248,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Addict View Post

Majority of Americans are probably at neither extreme of the political spectrum today. So it is probably a ripe time for a third party who will represent the middle-of-the-road voters.

- Social policies: responsible (not uncontrolled) abortion rights. True religious freedom.

The list can go on-and-on. The motivation is that our government will never solve any problem with the bipolar bickering that is so destructive nowadays.

Either a one-party government (like China) or a three-party government (like Canada) seems to work better than us.
Why it would never take off mystifies me. one of hte other parties would have to collapse. I'm becoming more and more convinced that a modified multiparty system (like Canada or Germany) would be much, much better.

Old 11-21-2011, 06:15 PM

28,906 posts, read 45,220,684 times
Show me someone who pledges their support to either the GOP or the Dems, and I'll start looking for their lobotomy scars.

Who on earth can look at the agenda of either party and say, "Yep, I'm good with that"? Nobody with a brain, for both parties care very little about the nation, but rather for their own cynical cadre of supporters.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:22 PM

1,435 posts, read 1,293,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Addict View Post

How about no parties? How about a politician votes the way his/her constituents want him/her to vote? Isn't that their job?

Old 11-21-2011, 09:00 PM

30,900 posts, read 24,229,648 times
every election people clamor for a third party, and yet few EVER support the third party candidates when they do make an appearance. rodd perot was, to my knowledge, the highest vote getter for a third party candidate in my lifetime.

if this country is ever going to get a viable third party, it has to start at the grassroots level, and build over a couple of election cycles, and it has to be a nationwide movement, meaning it has to start in as many states as possible all at once in local elections. and these third part people have to proves themselves over a couple of election cycles before they go national and try to win the presidency.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:01 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,722,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmforte View Post
How about no parties? How about a politician votes the way his/her constituents want him/her to vote? Isn't that their job?
Wouldn't that be nice.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:05 PM

4,043 posts, read 2,891,146 times
Oh, how I wish that a third party was likely to save us from the Subversives that inhabit our Oval Office! I'd be right there, jumping for joy with you and others.

Trump is threatening, yet again to run for the highest office. I've been watching and expecting him to start this. NO WAY....he's the King of wafflers and would be a horrible vote-splitter. Too much is at stake this time, in fact more than ever before.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:07 PM

10,787 posts, read 6,902,060 times
I wish that the tea party would break off into their own party and then the progressive caucus of the Democratic party would break off into their own party and then those left in the middle would form a centrist party that is focused on fixing problems instead of politics. I know, I'm dreaming...

Old 11-21-2011, 09:07 PM

15,924 posts, read 16,856,733 times
First thing you have to do is get the current crop of politicians out of office.

As far as politicians doing what their constituents voted them into office to do....

With almost 50% of Americans living off of the government the politicians are doing exactly what their constituents told them to do, don't make me work for a living....

Old 11-21-2011, 09:08 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,997,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
I wish that the tea party would break off into their own party and then the progressive caucus of the Democratic party would break off into their own party and then those left in the middle would form a centrist party that is focused on fixing problems instead of politics. I know, I'm dreaming...
I'm dreaming right along with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or