Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 01:55 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,392,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Why not learn Spanish words or books? or even the alphabet?

A pledge is political especially foreign pledges.

What is cultural about the pledge being Mexican in a Spanish class?
Its not an Mexican class.

Spanish is from Spain.
Well in Texas, Spanish is from Mexico. You can study the cultures of any spanish speaking country you like. I see it as a cultural vocabulary less.

Again, learning to sing the Canadian National Anthem in French didn't change my politics. I think people are taking issue with it because it's Mexico.

As a strict memorization act- say if you were French- you could say the American Pledge of Allegiance (without hand on heart) as a vocab exercise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 01:58 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,392,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
The issue is that schools are not letting their students recite the American pledge, but do this? Like the other poster had mentioned. Spanish is from Spain not Mexico.
Yes, that is another topic. And another issue. Altogether.

Yes of the romance languages, Spanish is from Spain and not my ancestral Cuba, but you need context to language. In French we learned about Parisians, Martinique, Guandeloupe, Quebec, Haiti- French-speaking countries.

I can see the issue people take, but the girl wasn't being asked to carry arms for mother Mexico.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:00 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,128,950 times
Some people really need to get a life.

Agree with GreyDay. This is just crypto-racism at worst and mindless, pointless nationalism at best.

Either way, this girl and this issue are stupid.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:02 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,449,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Some people really need to get a life.

Agree with GreyDay. This is just crypto-racism at worst and mindless, pointless nationalism at best.

Either way, this girl and this issue are stupid.
Everything is racism to you Lefties, even when race isn't a factor.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:04 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,665,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
Well in Texas, Spanish is from Mexico. You can study the cultures of any spanish speaking country you like. I see it as a cultural vocabulary less.

Again, learning to sing the Canadian National Anthem in French didn't change my politics. I think people are taking issue with it because it's Mexico.

As a strict memorization act- say if you were French- you could say the American Pledge of Allegiance (without hand on heart) as a vocab exercise.
Its political to to say the pledge to another country.

The class is about Spanish, not Mexican politics.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Everything is racism to you Lefties, even when race isn't a factor.
#1, I'm not a "leftie", even by your extremely incorrect definition.

Second, the OP posts just about nothing except anti-Hispanic rants. I feel pretty safe in calling this crypto-racist, because it is.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:07 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,665,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
#1, I'm not a "leftie", even by your extremely incorrect definition.

Second, the OP posts just about nothing except anti-Hispanic rants. I feel pretty safe in calling this crypto-racist, because it is.
Where is it that I posted something anti hispanic?

Old 11-22-2011, 02:11 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
The issue is that schools are not letting their students recite the American pledge, but do this? Like the other poster had mentioned. Spanish is from Spain not Mexico.
Where does this happen? AFAIK, Colorado has an "opt out" provision in the pledge of allegiance.

I remember when I took HS French. Our teacher told us that every French speaker should know the French national anthem. (He was from Morocco.) We learned it. We sang it. Did it turn me into a Frenchwoman? Of course not!

Old 11-22-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Where does this happen? AFAIK, Colorado has an "opt out" provision in the pledge of allegiance.

I remember when I took HS French. Our teacher told us that every French speaker should know the French national anthem. (He was from Morocco.) We learned it. We sang it. Did it turn me into a Frenchwoman? Of course not!
It's more faux manufactured controversy.

I bet this girl and her parents are real pieces of work.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:13 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,075,211 times
If memorizing a pledge or singing an anthem of a foreign country is no big deal to some, why don't we also memorize the pledge and sing the anthem of North Korea, Cuba, Iran, China or Venezuela.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies