Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 11:42 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,094,770 times

Advertisements

"Oregon Gov. John Kitzhaber blocked the execution of a death row inmate on Tuesday and said no more executions will take place in the state as long as he is governor...'It is time for Oregon to consider a different approach. I refuse to be a part of this compromised and inequitable system any longer; and I will not allow further executions while I am governor,' he said in a statement."

Speaking about 2 previous executions under his watch, Kitzhaber said "They were the most agonizing and difficult decisions I have made as governor, and I have revisited and questioned them over and over again during the past 14 years. I do not believe that those executions made us safer; and certainly they did not make us nobler as a society. And I simply cannot participate once again in something I believe to be morally wrong,"

Oregon governor blocks executions for rest of term - CNN.com

Good for him. It's time we ended this barbaric and immoral practice nationwide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 12:07 AM

6,864 posts, read 12,070,521 times
In 1989 Oba Chandler took a mother and her two daughters on a boat in Tampa Bay. Raped and murdered the mother and murdered the two girls, tied concrete blocks on them and threw them overboard. Bodies discovered floating in the bay, days later. Now that is a barbaric act. Arrested and then convicted in 1994. Was housed, clothed, feed by Florida tax payers for 17 years. He finally got the needle in the arm Nov 15
And let's not forget one of our favorite former residents, mass murderer Ted Bundy. No tears were shed for him. People like these two animals are worth saving?

Old 11-23-2011, 06:31 AM

306 posts, read 218,616 times
That governor is just another dictator who stages a hit. He senses that Oregonians are softies...
The Repubs must try to bring him down since he got elected with only 1% plurality.
This shows how effective & ruthless the criminal lovers are.
They get 1% plurality in Ore,they get ...30K plurality in IL ,but they don't chicken out & they stage the hit.
While the Repubs in the red states do 1 execution every...3 years...

Old 11-23-2011, 06:35 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
Hey governor, it was the judicial that set the punishment based upon state laws made by the legislature. Don't like the death penalty? Run for the legislature and change the law within the system.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:10 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,017,454 times
I never understand these types of leaders that swear to uphold the law and then subsquently ignore them. If he wanted to stop executions in Oregon, why didn't he present and then support a bill through their legislature to stop executions instead of deciding, unilaterally, to stop signing execution orders?

Old 11-23-2011, 07:33 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,943,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiworshipper View Post
That governor is just another dictator who stages a hit. He senses that Oregonians are softies...
The Repubs must try to bring him down since he got elected with only 1% plurality.
This shows how effective & ruthless the criminal lovers are.
They get 1% plurality in Ore,they get ...30K plurality in IL ,but they don't chicken out & they stage the hit.
While the Repubs in the red states do 1 execution every...3 years...
Criminal lovers? Stage a hit? What are you talking about man?

Old 11-23-2011, 07:34 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,943,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Hey governor, it was the judicial that set the punishment based upon state laws made by the legislature. Don't like the death penalty? Run for the legislature and change the law within the system.
The law allows the governor to stay the sentence. He is following the law.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:42 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,658,994 times
He did not commute any sentences, He issued a temporary reprieve or stay. He is simply delaying execustions until after he is out of office. Something don't smell right here.. I am not an advocate of the death penalty... if the governor really wanted to do something useful, he could present legislation that would abolish the death penalty in his state but he is NOT doing that.. makes you wonder huh??

Old 11-23-2011, 07:45 AM

306 posts, read 218,616 times
He got reelected with just 1% plurality...

I hope the Repubs succeed in recalling him...

Old 11-23-2011, 08:14 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
I wonder how the Governor is going to explain new taxes to permit the construction of all the new prison facilities they're going to need in Oregon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies