Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 12:54 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
That's not what I said at all, shore. I said that for tax purposes, the first $10,000 a person makes is treated differently than the third million one makes. The reason for this is simple. It is presumed that the first $10,000 is going to go toward necessities. The third million is going to go toward luxuries.

Again, every single American is taxed the exact same rate. They all get taxed the same percentage on the first $10,000, and they all get taxed the same percentage of the third million. Can we acknowledge this and drop the stupid talk about the "rich" being taxed unfairly now? They pay the same rates everyone else pays.
Thi is complete non sense. The tax code is to pay for things, not to determine how people spe nd their income.

It is ridiculous in the extreme to claim that we do not have a progressive tax system and that those who make more, do not pay more. Of course not everyone is taxed at the same rate. If they were you could show me a tax table with one rate on it, you can't. Of course the wealthy pay more. Do they consume more resources? Why should income level dictate taxation level?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2011, 01:11 PM

386 posts, read 232,560 times
Quote:
This is a serious question. Is the Republican Party positioning itself to be the tax-the-poor party? I'm asking because it seems like that's the logical next step after you launch a massive talking point campaign about how 47 percent of Americans don't pay taxes (ie, federal income taxes, one tax of many). Why point out an "injustice" if you're not planning on correcting it?

I just can't believe this is about to happen. Am I reading this right? The Republican Party will be committing political suicide if it does this. They are going to become the raise-taxes party for 47 percent of Americans. How could they possibly think that's a winning strategy?

All your hysteric hyperbole aside, all Americans need to pay their fair share - including the 47% currently freeloading off the 53%. Some of these people, if the IRS is to be believed, earn up to $45,000 pa.

the truly-poor in America are as rare as hen's teeth. There was a survey done and released just recently that almost half of our "poor" own their own homes, have color TVs, cell phones, AC etc., Clearly not "Poor" by world standards.

Why do we always see to have "poor" people in America.

Simple, you just define the lowest standard deviation as poor, without regards to their actual wealth and income, and viola, you have a poverty problem.

The war on poverty, started by LBJ, and yes, I was around way back then, and before (when Ike was President), is just another redistribution scheme, the goal of which is to purchase votes.

Old 11-24-2011, 01:35 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,397,535 times
The poor aren't paying their fair share, but what about all the American corporations that don't pay taxes, (thanks to all the loop-holes)! The Republican party is for the wealthy, that's a no-brainer. I'm really not that shocked, even though I totally disagree with them

Old 11-24-2011, 09:21 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,574,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
A lot of homeless people have a mental illness. Others you will not find walking the streets asking for money, but if you go to the local library during the daytime, there is a good chance that there is a homeless person there...especially in the winter time when it gets cold. Most of the shelters kick them out early in the morning.

If you want to find a homeless person, go to a shelter. The sad cases are the ones where their whole family is there.
most of those people you are talking about, will get on their feet. help from the community is necessary for those people. the fact is there are very few of them. I am talking about the so-called poor who have been and public aid 15,20 years and lots of time is pass on to the next generation. they don't even have to contribute out their own pocket, I'll just be happy if they just stop demanding so so much from the community. people with mental illness what to do? should we make it elligal for mentaly ill people to walk the street, even though they are not hurting anyone.yes round them up and put them in home this way they'er not homeless!

Old 11-24-2011, 09:44 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,979,703 times
Quote:
This is a serious question. Is the Republican Party positioning itself to be the tax-the-poor party? I'm asking because it seems like that's the logical next step after you launch a massive talking point campaign about how 47 percent of Americans don't pay taxes (ie, federal income taxes, one tax of many). Why point out an "injustice" if you're not planning on correcting it?

I just can't believe this is about to happen. Am I reading this right? The Republican Party will be committing political suicide if it does this. They are going to become the raise-taxes party for 47 percent of Americans. How could they possibly think that's a winning strategy?
Both parties routinely tax the poor by inflating the currency. Inflation is a tax the robs the poor of wealth. I don't believe in raising taxes on anyone, in fact we should abolish the IRS and get rid of the income tax and not replace it with anything.

Old 11-24-2011, 10:21 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,000,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrucker212 View Post
The poor aren't paying their fair share, but what about all the American corporations that don't pay taxes, (thanks to all the loop-holes)! The Republican party is for the wealthy, that's a no-brainer. I'm really not that shocked, even though I totally disagree with them
Funny... You know.... A lot of the "poor" i know are homeless and have $0.00 for income. What would you have them pay taxes on? Or what would the GOP have them pay taxes on? 30% of $0.00 is still $0.00 the last time I heard.

Old 11-25-2011, 03:26 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,397,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_windwalker View Post
Funny... You know.... A lot of the "poor" i know are homeless and have $0.00 for income. What would you have them pay taxes on? Or what would the GOP have them pay taxes on? 30% of $0.00 is still $0.00 the last time I heard.
When I said the poor aren't paying their fair share I was being sarcastic. I totally agree with you, 30% of 0 is still 0

Old 11-25-2011, 07:34 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Thi is complete non sense. The tax code is to pay for things, not to determine how people spe nd their income.

It is ridiculous in the extreme to claim that we do not have a progressive tax system and that those who make more, do not pay more. Of course not everyone is taxed at the same rate. If they were you could show me a tax table with one rate on it, you can't. Of course the wealthy pay more. Do they consume more resources? Why should income level dictate taxation level?
Here is the official tax code, shore. It has one rate on it. It has one rate for income up to $8,500 (FOR EVERYONE). It has one rate for income between $8,500 and $25,000 (FOR EVERYONE.) It has one rate for income between $25,000 and $85,000 (FOR EVERYONE.) Etc.

Tax Brackets (Federal Income Tax Rates) 2000 through 2011

Old 11-25-2011, 07:36 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Both parties routinely tax the poor by inflating the currency. Inflation is a tax the robs the poor of wealth. I don't believe in raising taxes on anyone, in fact we should abolish the IRS and get rid of the income tax and not replace it with anything.
I agree. We are all paying for it now. Have you noticed the steep rise in prices for what you're paying for goods this year? I have. I guess that's our gift to the banks, courtesy of the Federal Reserve printing presses.

Old 11-25-2011, 07:36 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,963 times
Quote:
Here is the official tax code, shore. It has one rate on it. It has one rate for income up to $8,500 (FOR EVERYONE). It has one rate for income between $8,500 and $25,000 (FOR EVERYONE.) It has one rate for income between $25,000 and $85,000 (FOR EVERYONE.) Etc.

Tax Brackets (Federal Income Tax Rates) 2000 through 2011

and when you take $90,000 and divide it by what they pay, its a higher % then the lowest group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies