Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 10:02 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,637,138 times

Advertisements

This is a serious question. Is the Republican Party positioning itself to be the tax-the-poor party? I'm asking because it seems like that's the logical next step after you launch a massive talking point campaign about how 47 percent of Americans don't pay taxes (ie, federal income taxes, one tax of many). Why point out an "injustice" if you're not planning on correcting it?

I just can't believe this is about to happen. Am I reading this right? The Republican Party will be committing political suicide if it does this. They are going to become the raise-taxes party for 47 percent of Americans. How could they possibly think that's a winning strategy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 10:13 AM

753 posts, read 842,797 times
They want those living in poverty to 'pay their fair share' and feel rich folks (themselves) already do.

Let them continue this platform and watch them go the way of the Federalists.

From Wikipedia:

The Federalist policies called for a national bank, tariffs, and good relations with Britain as expressed in the Jay Treaty negotiated in 1794. Their political opponents, the Democratic-Republicans, led by Thomas Jefferson and James Madison, denounced most of the Federalist policies, especially the bank, and vehemently attacked the Jay Treaty as a sell-out of republican values to the British monarchy. The Jay Treaty passed, and indeed the Federalists won most of the major legislative battles in the 1790s. They held a strong base in the nation's cities and in New England. The Democratic-Republicans, with their base in the rural South, won the hard-fought election of 1800; the Federalists never returned to power. The Federalists, too wedded to an upper-class style to win the support of ordinary voters, grew weaker year by year.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:21 AM

23,844 posts, read 24,091,732 times
I would like everyone that has a say in how the country is run to also have some skin in the game. If they don't, they'll inevitably just vote for people who promise to continue to give them free stuff without charging them for it.

If you're not contributing financially, you tend to not care about how our collective tax dollars are spent. If virtually everyone with an income paid at least some taxes on that income, I guarantee that our government would be much a more efficient machine.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:25 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,941,704 times
So what happens when that 47 becomes 57 or even 60? At the rate we're going, probably won't be long.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:28 AM

I guess they'll have to find a way to stop the inequalities from happening, then. Good luck with that.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I would like everyone that has a say in how the country is run to also have some skin in the game. If they don't, they'll inevitably just vote for people who promise to continue to give them free stuff without charging them for it.

If you're not contributing financially, you tend to not care about how our collective tax dollars are spent. If virtually everyone with an income paid at least some taxes on that income, I guarantee that our government would be much a more efficient machine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
So what happens when that 47 becomes 57 or even 60? At the rate we're going, probably won't be long.
There is merit to what you're saying, but surely you can see what a dog this platform is. There is no way in the world the Republicans are going to win any elections if they fully embrace this. You can't be the party that pushes for tax increases on 47 percent of Americans and lower taxes for the wealthiest Americans. That's just suicide. They might as well run on the platform that 50 percent of Americans should put their balls in a vice. It's just not going to work.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post

Maybe we could just force all voters to do so on their tax return. Now THAT would wield some interesting election results.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:32 AM

Are there any Republicans who think that this is not where the party is going? I am sincerely interested in knowing what the Republicans are getting at with all of this the-poor-aren't-paying-their-fair-share talk.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:32 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,941,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
There is merit to what you're saying, but surely you can see what a dog this platform is. There is no way in the world the Republicans are going to win any elections if they fully embrace this. You can't be the party that pushes for tax increases on 47 percent of Americans and lower taxes for the wealthiest Americans. That's just suicide. They might as well run on the platform that 50 percent of Americans should put their balls in a vice. It's just not going to work.
I was simply commenting on the 47% figure.

I wouldn't run on it either. I think people are tired of all the talk about raising taxes while you have 47% who aren't contributing. Eventually, we're not going to have enough people to tax to keep the ship afloat.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:38 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,299,034 times
Time for a 4%-5% Federal GST across the board
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies