Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2011, 06:21 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,949,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Well plenty of corruption on both sides of the aisle, but the Democrats at least WANT to run a decent government. The Republicans seem to only want to get power so they can rule as ineptly as humanly possible, then say that government doesn't work. The notion that we need no government is a libertarian fantasy. Always has been.

We need government, and we need legislators and executives who want to lead, that is why I cannot vote Republican. They only want to grab enough power to enrich a few and screw the rest.
Well, I have a fundamental disagreement with you as to how much government we really need. But we can talk about that some other time.

As with desertdetroiter, have a nice holiday and thank you for the chat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 06:26 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
The Grand Ole Party owns this recession. It is the direct result of the years of jobs outsourcing/shipping factories to foreign lands and subsequent corporate profit grabbing that has been the reason why this recession is so deep. The GOP gave Corporate America its blessing in the divestment of the US for the sake of short term cash grabs.
Corporate grabbing? People were trying to kill each other to shove money in our pockets. They still are...

True story. Sitting at the bar waiting to be seated and I hear this young fellow asking the bartender if he should "just buy the TV and PS3 or just continue to rent-to-own." He didn't have to be told how much it would cost him to continue to rent-to-own, he already knew if he had just saved his money it would already be his. His delima was "now I'm stuck halfway through the term of the loan" and "if I get rid of it now I'll have to buy it twice." I just reminded him that by the time he gets done paying for his "new" TV and PS3 through rent-to-own it will be three years old and he will have bought it 2.5 times.

He said he'd just ride out the RTO...

And, no, I don't own or partake in RTO garbaaaaage.

Old 11-23-2011, 06:30 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,811,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Well plenty of corruption on both sides of the aisle, but the Democrats at least WANT to run a decent government.
Yeah, right. This administration is so corrupt it's not even funny.

Old 11-23-2011, 06:32 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,165,396 times
Quote:
Q: How would the economy be any different had we elected John McCain?

A: No difference (although there wouldn't have been a Tea Party Movement)
Well, at least a lot less money would have been spent. Obama has spent more in 3 years than any president has in 8 years.

Old 11-23-2011, 06:32 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,755,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Well, I have a fundamental disagreement with you as to how much government we really need. But we can talk about that some other time.

As with desertdetroiter, have a nice holiday and thank you for the chat.
Well, this is the cusp of it, and a legitimate point. Yes, we should argue about the size of government.

I don't think we can take an axe to it in the midst fo a recession. Eliminating waste and duplication seems very worthwhile to me.

Happy Holidays to you and yours.

Old 11-23-2011, 06:33 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
See...i was correct. Obamacare...the only thing you guys can name.

As for your question, i have no idea what it'll cost. Unlike all the millionaire business owners that are the conservative posters on C-D, i'm just a regular working joe.

BTW...The banks are loaning folks money as we type. Corporate profits have never been higher than they are now.

So much for the "increased regulations and tight standards."
Regarding lending standards, fewer domestic banks eased standards and terms on commercial and industrial (C&I) loans over the third quarter compared with recent quarters, particularly on loans to large and middle-market firms.2 About one-fourth of foreign respondents, which primarily lend to businesses, reported that they had tightened lending standards on C&I loans.3 All of the domestic and foreign respondents that reported having tightened standards or terms on C&I loans cited a less favorable or more uncertain economic outlook as a reason for the tightening. In response to a special question, a large number of both domestic and foreign respondents indicated that they had tightened standards on loans to European banks and their affiliates or subsidiaries. Standards for commercial and residential real estate loans changed little over the past three months, and a small net fraction of banks indicated that they had eased standards on several types of consumer loans.

FRB: Senior Loan Officer Opinion Survey: October 2011

http://www.federalreserve.gov/boarddocs/snloansurvey/

Old 11-23-2011, 06:34 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Wow, how patriotic

A company's decision whether or not to hire should not be based on who sits in the White House. That is stupidity in its lowest form.
That sign is idiocy at its purest form. Do they really think a new president is going to snap his/her fingers and make everything tax-free?

Old 11-23-2011, 06:35 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Corporate grabbing? People were trying to kill each other to shove money in our pockets. They still are...

True story. Sitting at the bar waiting to be seated and I hear this young fellow asking the bartender if he should "just buy the TV and PS3 or just continue to rent-to-own." He didn't have to be told how much it would cost him to continue to rent-to-own, he already knew if he had just saved his money it would already be his. His delima was "now I'm stuck halfway through the term of the loan" and "if I get rid of it now I'll have to buy it twice." I just reminded him that by the time he gets done paying for his "new" TV and PS3 through rent-to-own it will be three years old and he will have bought it 2.5 times.

He said he'd just ride out the RTO...

And, no, I don't own or partake in RTO garbaaaaage.
I am going to chalk that conversation up to the correlation between youth and stupidity (on the part of that guy)

Old 11-23-2011, 06:46 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
The Grand Ole Party owns this recession. It is the direct result of the years of jobs outsourcing/shipping factories to foreign lands and subsequent corporate profit grabbing that has been the reason why this recession is so deep. The GOP gave Corporate America its blessing in the divestment of the US for the sake of short term cash grabs.
Yep yep! Couldn't have said better myself!

Old 11-23-2011, 08:00 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,043,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
We're expanding. Buy low, sell high. No worries, Obama will be gone in a year and if not we'll just keep buying and growing while Obama's policies continue to make people nervous and land and materials cheap.

If things start picking up we'll not be able to grow as fast but we can get rid of properties high and then just wait till the next economic downturn and buy again.

Obama is hendering economic growth with his command economy policies. I don't see why we should be self delusional because of that. We'll make money either way and no matter what the composition of congress or the presidency is. We'll get plenty of notice if congress and the president go confiscatory.
THIS is the attitude a successful businessman takes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies