Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 05:33 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenZephyr View Post
Then why don't you address it as such, certainly it isn't limited to the left, but it is disproportionately high by people who would be considered left leaning, and that it a puzzle . I put on the left because the left holds itself as the vanguard of fighting bigotry. Yet when it comes to children, it seems that conservative minded people hold more compassion, while leftists hold more compassion for animals.

They certainly do have more compassion for children.........until they're born.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 05:35 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
Good god. Another bizarre, right-wing theory about "people on the left". The explanations that some of you people come up with are like something out of the Twilight Zone.

Old 11-25-2011, 08:54 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,532,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
That's exactly the problem. Children's opinions are worthless? Really? Yes--I get what you're saying. Children can't be held responsible for every decision, because they don't realize the effect on health eating candy all the time has and so on. But there are plenty of areas where taking a children's opinion into account is fine, or where giving them a degree of choice is perfectly fine. Why not give children a set of responsible options e.g. "do you want chicken or steak for dinner tonight?"

Why do you have to take it to such an extreme that you say their opinions don't count for anything? It's no wonder children lash out...most adults literally think they are worthless! I already said in my earlier post that I do understand children need guidance and structure, but they also need some freedom of choice too, and they need to be respected as human beings, just as we all should. Why is it perfectly acceptable to so many people to believe human beings of any kind "DO. NOT. COUNT. (for anything)"?? Replace that with any other group. "Women DO. NOT. COUNT. (for anything)" or "Christians DO. NOT. COUNT. (for anything)". How can you not see the bigotry in that thinking?

Children deserve enough respect not to be hit for no reason at all, or be the unlucky victims of tongue lashings from their parent who has had a bad day, etc. If a child does something wrong that's one thing, but there are parents out there who use their child as a living, breathing punching bag, verbally-speaking, and sometimes, physically-speaking. I'm not arguing that children should be given all the freedom in the world, so I don't understand why you're replying to my post as if that's what I'm saying. I'm just saying they need to be give some freedoms and need to be respected on a fundamental level as human beings. It's about balance. There's a happy medium between total freedom and total control, and I'm just saying that I don't think enough parents find that balance.

So please, just please. Get what I'm saying and don't twist my words into an extremist argument that I never made in the first place. Thanks.
Well said and I totally agree.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:34 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,772,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

I think probaly liberals are less tolerant of kids because many of them with they'd all have been aborted.
Does this win the award for dumbest remark on CD ever?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies