Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 09:57 AM

1,348 posts, read 2,856,560 times

Advertisements

Diversity is not a good thing if you have a diverse bunch of poor, uneducated people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 10:38 AM

2,674 posts, read 4,391,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post
Diversity is not a good thing if you have a diverse bunch of poor, uneducated people.
Then economics, SES would be the issue. Not diversity. Maybe lower SES schools are just more likely to have violence than say, Exeter or Andover. I'm sure those schools' diversity days go off without a hitch.

It always comes back to money and education and expectations.

Old 11-25-2011, 11:20 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Teaching children to get along with their peers is propaganda? Wow, I hope to G-d you are not an educator. That's just a plain ignorant statement you have made.
That's not what all this "Cultural Diversity Awareness" crap is doing.

It's not teaching kids that they have something in common as Americans. It's not about MLK's "I have a dream" speech where he says that he has a dream that the color of one's skin wouldn't matter.

The Cultural Diversity Awareness crap is all about making their skin color of utmost importantance, their own countries' languages more important than English.

I know on one of the Mexican National Holidays the schools here told the kids to come that day dressed like Mexicans. That is stupid and you can see why even kids are fed up with this crap. Why should ANY American child in any American school be told something like that and that they should celebrate the national holidays of any foreign nation?

It's OUR national holidays, our language, our culture, our country's flag that unites us.

If you had an American Unity day, there would most likely -- you could almost bet on it -- be no race fights that day.

Old 11-25-2011, 11:29 AM

I get your point but studying other cultures should not lead to outrage or violence.

My school had Latin day- as in Sine Qua Non- we all wore sheets, all spoke in Latin (as much as we could). Had signs in latin around the middle school. No one rebelled, we took it for a learning exercise.

It's not so much a celebration as it is an understanding of the history behind their holidays.

I'm all for American patriotism and here in Texas, you say the national pledge of allegiance, then the Texas pledge of allegiance. But not being close-minded and realizing there are other countries and languages is useful.

Peoples' issues with 'mexican' or 'spanish' celebrations seem to be more out of fear than actual pride.
If you had an American Unity day, there would most likely -- you could almost bet on it -- be no race fights that day.

Old 11-25-2011, 12:18 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
No, it's the "cultural diversity awareness", the celebrations of it that are stupid.

The schools try to cram this fake stuff down the kids' throats and obviously it's not working when their "Cultural Awareness Assembly" had to be cancelled. And yes, the black American kids are probably fed up with having all the Spanish language and Mexican flags and Mexican culture forced on them all the time so I don't blame them one bit.

Diversity comes from the same root as divided. Unity is better obviously. Too bad there can't be an American cultural day.
Eh...knowing the streets like i do, i doubt very seriously that the black kids were up in arms over the cultural diversity awareness celebrations. After all, it's a chance to get the hell out of the classroom and as i'm sure you can remember from your own school days, which kids get angry about THAT?

This stuff aint all that sophisticated. They were probably beefing over some girl or some other dumbsh*t...like most kids do. Or some A-hole bumped into another jerk in the hallway, words were exchanged, and blah, blah, blah.

Bottom line is that the fight never happened, which means that the kids were clever enough to overhype it to the point that it got them out of school for a while. Clever them!!!

It was likely never a big deal to begin with. The media and the school heard about it and ran with it. Everything points to that.

Old 11-25-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
How sad but this is the face of America.

Say one thing while reality says another.

Reality is we don't "celebrate" diversity and we have various demographics trying to push for preferential treatment in the name of "diversity" to force equalization.

It's all just a big lie.
There is no need to "force" equality. All people are equals.

Old 11-25-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
It's still not a valid reason to rumble.
If you read between the lines, you can figure out that there was probably never gonna be a rumble in the first place. The district overreacted probably.

One thing i know is that if kids wanna fight, they'll fight. If they don't, they won't. If they didn't rumble, they didn't wanna fight in the first place.

Teenagers sell wolf tickets all the time. You can't take them seriously 9 outta 10 times.

Old 11-25-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Of course not but this highlights the absurdity of the liberal ideal that you can legislate things like multiculturalism into existence. It's absurd. And I contend that in this situation just like I do in every other that this has more to do with culture than race.

My status sums it up pretty well.
No one was trying to legislate anything. It was nothing more than a planned assembly of kids fiddle faddling around about diversity and the importance of getting along. Goes in one ear and out the other.

This whole thing about "multiculturalism" is a conservative sore point. I've never even heard of such a thing. No one that i've ever met wants to shoehorn their culture into someone elses.

Hell, i don't even know what you guys mean by 'culture' anyway. Americans for the most part share the same culture. Some regions of the country are different than others, and we may approach things in a different manner depending on how you were raised, but that's no different than any other country.

Old 11-25-2011, 12:27 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Eh...knowing the streets like i do, i doubt very seriously that the black kids were up in arms over the cultural diversity awareness celebrations. After all, it's a chance to get the hell out of the classroom and as i'm sure you can remember from your own school days, which kids get angry about THAT?

This stuff aint all that sophisticated. They were probably beefing over some girl or some other dumbsh*t...like most kids do. Or some A-hole bumped into another jerk in the hallway, words were exchanged, and blah, blah, blah.

Bottom line is that the fight never happened, which means that the kids were clever enough to overhype it to the point that it got them out of school for a while. Clever them!!!

It was likely never a big deal to begin with. The media and the school heard about it and ran with it. Everything points to that.
I doubt the racial tensions had anything to do with just that one day.

It's the whole approach in the schools to cultural divisions. The blacks kids are told that this country is theirs because their ancestors were forced to come here and do the hard work and build this country.

The Mexican kids are taught to remain patriotic to their own country, they are told that Americans are too lazy to work and are all useless drug addicts and that all of the USA was ruled by Mexican Aztecs at one time until it was stolen from them. They're taught they must win it back for their nation in some kind of reconquista.

But also there is no common language anymore. Most likely these groups of students cannot talk to one another, they don't know what each is saying. They have no common bond at all.

Of course they will see each other as antagonists.

Old 11-25-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I doubt the racial tensions had anything to do with just that one day.

It's the whole approach in the schools to cultural divisions. The blacks kids are told that this country is theirs because their ancestors were forced to come here and do the hard work and build this country.

The Mexican kids are taught to remain patriotic to their own country, they are told that Americans are too lazy to work and are all useless drug addicts and that all of the USA was ruled by Mexican Aztecs at one time until it was stolen from them. They're taught they must win it back for their nation in some kind of reconquista.

But also there is no common language anymore. Most likely these groups of students cannot talk to one another, they don't know what each is saying. They have no common bond at all.

Of course they will see each other as antagonists.
I don't know how many times we avoided fights in school by having DANCE BATTLES and then you had to bring it...

But really it's more an issue with the SES of the school system. If it was a fancy prep school like in Bloomfield Hills or Grosse Pointe, there wouldn't have been such an uproar because the kids would be too worried about getting into college. Instead, it's played up like the first volley of an upcoming race war.

Last edited by GreyDay; 11-25-2011 at 12:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies