Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2011, 09:33 PM

785 posts, read 619,375 times

Advertisements

Personally, I think they should have the right to marry, just like hetero's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 09:33 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post

I explained this earlier. Marriage signifies the union between a man and a woman.
Who said that marriage signifies the union between a man and woman? (And don't say the Bible, because 1) Polygamy was the primary marriage type in the Bible and 2) Our laws are not based on it.)

Quote:
The IR thing imposed restrictions on that…that’s where the injustice came in.
No, the Supreme Court stated that marriage is a fundamental human right and the state has no compelling reason to deny people marrying someone of their choosing on the basis of a protected class (in that case race).

What compelling reason does the state have to deny people the ability to marry who they love based on another protected class: sex?

A man can marry a woman, but a man cannot marry a man solely because he's a man. That's sex discrimination and a violation of the equal protection clause of the 14th Amendment.

Quote:
Same-sex marriage is asking us to redefine what marriage is. It’s not the same at all and quite frankly, the IR argument is getting really old.
Who said marriage is what you say it is? Is there some cosmic dictionary that words have to only mean what you say they mean, and anyone who disagrees is wrong?

Your logical is absolutely dreadful.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:34 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
The XX + XY coupling combination is the ONLY possible means to produce another human being. The XX + XX and XY + XY coupling combination will NEVER produce another human being.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
So............?
I believe the last figure I heard (a couple of weeks ago) for the total population of the Earth is 8 billion. Seems JobZombie doesn't think that's high enough.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Do you have that poll? Not saying it doesn't exist, but would be interested to see this.

You're bringing up religion....wait. I thought the whole point was to keep religion *out* of this. Which one is it? Only use religion if it suits your purpose?
Most Americans Approve of Interracial Marriages (Look at the 50s and 60s on the graph on left side)

In 1958, only 4% of Americans said they approved of marriages between whites and blacks.

I'm only using religion because your entire argument is predicated on your biblical belief (and a wrong one at that), that marriage is universally and eternally defined as one man and one woman.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
I believe the last figure I heard (a couple of weeks ago) for the total population of the Earth is 8 billion. Seems JobZombie doesn't think that's high enough.
We just hit 7 Billion.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:39 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantyall2know View Post
Throughout our nations history marriage has been between a man and a woman, but over time society has become more tolerant and accepting of same-sex marriage which is currently legal in 6 states. Do you consider this progress or a step back away from our traditional values and for what reason?
It's technically a step back from "traditional values" which idolized opposite-gender marriage. However I don't consider this a bad thing. People should have a right to love who they love and to express that love. I've never understood people who have such a problem with it.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:48 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Just like telling me what I can and can't eat, how cold or warm I can keep my home (as long as I'm paying for it), I don't think the federal government belongs in the business of telling you who you can and can't marry as an adult. Religious institutions, however, should be able to do so.

Aside from that, I don't see the logic in how someone else's marriage impacts your own. It's not like second hand marijuana.
Re: the bolded. Only insofar as it concerns those within that religious institution, which, of course they already do. But what about those who hold to no religion? Are you saying they shouldn't be married? And, as there are over 1,000 different federal rights, responsibilities and privileges attached to marriage, then yes, I think they should have a say in who is and who isn't allowed to marry, as well as requiring states to adhere to article IV, section 1 of the US Constitution. Here, read it for yourself: Transcript of the Constitution of the United States - Official Text

Old 11-28-2011, 09:48 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,209,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Who said that marriage signifies the union between a man and woman? (And don't say the Bible, because 1) Polygamy was the primary marriage type in the Bible and 2) Our laws are not based on it.)

No, the Supreme Court stated that marriage is a fundamental human right and the state has no compelling reason to deny people marrying someone of their choosing on the basis of a protected class (in that case race).

What compelling reason does the state have to deny people the ability to marry who they love based on another protected class: sex?

A man can marry a woman, but a man cannot marry a man solely because he's a man. That's sex discrimination and a violation of the equal protection clause of the 14th Amendment.

Who said marriage is what you say it is? Is there some cosmic dictionary that words have to only mean what you say they mean, and anyone who disagrees is wrong?

Your logical is absolutely dreadful.
Anyone that is intellectually honest will admit that marriage is defined as a union between a man and a woman. Now whether or not you agree with it is totally different. But to ignorant this is disingenuous.

This is my question to you. When has this NOT been the definition of marriage? I can go back hundreds of years and provide vast amounts of evidence about hetero marriage. Can you do the same as it relates to gay marriage? If so, please provide proof, artifacts, etc. Perhaps I’m missing where this was a highly practiced ceremony that you are now being denied.

If the Supreme Court has decided as you claim, where is the uproar that they haven't stuck to their decision? Why isn’t gay marriage federally mandated?

My logic isn't dreadful. It just differs from your own. Sorry you can't handle that.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:50 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
How is your so-called homosexual “marriage” working out for you in the rest of the world in places like say Russia, China, India, and Muslim countries for starters? YOU obviously don’t get out very much if you think same sex “marriage” is welcome, wanted or desired worldwide. Man/woman marriage is universally recognized and accepted worldwide to the magnitude and degree that will never happen with the other false permutations ineffectively attempting to mimic normal marriage.

You need to get 97% of the WORLD to redefine itself to appease 3%. Good luck with that as you’ll need it. If this is indeed as popular and desired as you would like for it to be then where is everybody? I’m still waiting for the protestors and rioters in the streets demanding same sex marriage.

Personally I do not think a 100% unanimous on any issue is possible amongst the 7 Billion people of the world.

Actually there are LGBT Pride events in India, China, and Russia ... but not in some of the more extreme Muslim countries. As a matter of fact this weekend the city of Bangalore, India (a city I have visited on one of my four trips in India over the past decade) had a huge LGBT Pride march and festival. So your point is ... what???

I am more impressed with what is going on the US, North America, and the Western Industrialized world.

When the passage of legalized same sex marriage in New York State happened, even the iconic EMPIRE STATE BUILDING celebrated by putting on a show of rainbow colors:

Old 11-28-2011, 09:51 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,209,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Most Americans Approve of Interracial Marriages (Look at the 50s and 60s on the graph on left side)

In 1958, only 4% of Americans said they approved of marriages between whites and blacks.

I'm only using religion because your entire argument is predicated on your biblical belief (and a wrong one at that), that marriage is universally and eternally defined as one man and one woman.
That's for the poll. It was insightful.

And no my whole argument is predicated on religion. But it suits you to think this way, so I won't continue to beat a dead horse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies