Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2011, 10:12 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,487,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderling View Post
Of course not. But if sexual orientation IS an important thing about a person, relevant to his or her work or public life in some way, it shouldn't be ignored or brushed aside because *gasp* some might be icked out.

You asked what the role is, and I explained that it is the same as that of any other group defending civil and human rights. People who don't "agree" about that historical fact are simply wrong--prejudiced or bigoted in exactly the same way that people who didn't "agree" with civil rights were (are). Are you defending that?

Exactly. Why is this a problem? Why is the question so scary to you?
I don't particularly care and it's not scary. I'm wondering what a teacher is supposed to answer in the classroom of a k-8th grader as the sexual orientation of famous people comes up.

Unlike you, I don't consider my view the be-all-end-all of what should be taught in school. I recognize differences of opinion about 'the role of lbgt groups in contemporary society.' You don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 10:40 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,673,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I feel like students should be taught all the sides and left to make their own choices about what they believe. If you're teaching someone all the sides, that's not indoctrination. At least they get to be exposed to the different viewpoints and can decide what they believe and what they don't believe. Really, it's parents who want to indoctrinate their kids, by not even letting their kids hear another perspective. But how is that any better than teachers indoctrinating them in school?
Taught all sides? Well now....how many bizarre and eccentric "sides" are there out there? Too many to count and seemingly growing by the day. As if our public schools haven't already long lost their original purpose. Think of what you're saying.

We need to return the public school curriculum to its original and foundational purpose....and that most certainly does not include making sure centuries old irrational belief systems OR inexplicably strange sexual behaviors are seen in a positive light.

We need to do that not just because of its fundamental sensibility, but because we are fast losing ground against the competition worldwide who doesn't waste away their time with the nonsense at the fringes.

Old 12-31-2011, 11:27 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,401,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
I don't particularly care and it's not scary. I'm wondering what a teacher is supposed to answer in the classroom of a k-8th grader as the sexual orientation of famous people comes up.

Unlike you, I don't consider my view the be-all-end-all of what should be taught in school. I recognize differences of opinion about 'the role of lbgt groups in contemporary society.' You don't.
Differences of opinion there can certainly be, of course. But categorically ignoring them isn't an "opinion" -- it's revisionist history.

Old 12-31-2011, 11:52 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,542,487 times
All we need to do is look to history, to see this is how nations destroy themselves from within. This has all been done before numerous times, when will we ever learn?

Moral Decay

Three important trends demonstrate moral decay. They are the "rise in immorality," the "decay of religious belief," and the "devaluing of human life."

]When Nations Die

Old 12-31-2011, 08:27 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,209,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
All we need to do is look to history, to see this is how nations destroy themselves from within. This has all been done before numerous times, when will we ever learn?

Moral Decay

Three important trends demonstrate moral decay. They are the "rise in immorality," the "decay of religious belief," and the "devaluing of human life."

]When Nations Die

I can't rep you but will use this method to do it.

Old 12-31-2011, 08:41 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,321,515 times
People are so busy trying to get social justice embedded in education that they are not seeing the low math/reading scores that the US gets every year compared to other countries. And these are top US student competing.

The US should NOT be #36 in Math..but we are. On par with Latvia. Does that make you feel good ?

Old 12-31-2011, 08:48 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,076,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post

Moral Decay

]When Nations Die
Well, I guess that it's a good thing that we're beginning to treat homosexuals with dignity and respect and acceptance - you know, moving away from the immoral mistreatment of the past.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:24 PM

77,013 posts, read 47,481,489 times
Default SB 48 (CA)- Homosexualization of school kids in America

Fair, Accurate, Inclusive, and Respectful Education Act, also known as the FAIR Education Act (Senate Bill 48) and informally described by media outlets as the LGBT History Bill.

Or let's just call it the "Gay Bill".

It forces school teachers to promote homosexuality in California schools, and even worse, as it does not have an "Opt Out" clause, it forces the kids to listen to it.

I think a line has been crossed and something needs to be done before this spreads to the rest of the country. Most parents consider gay-sex as immoral, unnatural or at the very least abnormal, and in Christian circles it is considered sinful, and the Bible is on their side strongly condemning homosexuality.

Believe it or not, but I think this is a win for conservatives as it stands as an example where liberalism has been allowed to go too far and is not infringing the freedoms of regular people. Many will see this and depart from liberalism.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:32 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,349,509 times
Grow up.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:36 PM

13,290 posts, read 15,262,527 times

San Francisco Gay Pride Parade 2011 2/2 - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies