Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2012, 02:25 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,638,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
My favorite parts of this one were the ones that showed various examples of subjugation of humans. I have to agree that telling kids that this is normal is really sad. Here it comes though.
I agree. And these Gay Pride Parades get defended as just big "parties." Well, not any party my family attends! Honestly, we keep hearing accusations that heterosexuals only focus on the sex aspect and not the love/companionship aspect of gay relationships, yet these sexual perversion parades are what the gays present themselves as being "proud" about; Gay Pride Parades! What about S & M is to be proud of and why in the world would I allow my children to learn about or be forced to acknowledge that some sickos who are proud of this are "normal?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 02:33 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
I agree. And these Gay Pride Parades get defended as just big "parties." Well, not any party my family attends!
Nobody said it was the Mickey Mouse Club, bub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain
Honestly, we keep hearing accusations that heterosexuals only focus on the sex aspect and not the love/companionship aspect of gay relationships, yet these sexual perversion parades are what the gays present themselves as being "proud" about; Gay Pride Parades!

You DO focus on sex only, and wear your ignorance like a badge of honor.

If you had any real world experience with pride celebrations, perhaps you would be able to look past the outrageous floats (which are typically put together by gay clubs and bars), to the more subdued floats and marchers: Gay churches, health services, family planning and counseling, political organizations. Even things as banal as pet groomers. Last parade I went to had a long segment in which long-term couples were featured marching, with the number of years they've been together posted.

Pride celebrations also often include booths and tents on everything from banking to real estate, books and jewelry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain
What about S & M is to be proud of and why in the world would I allow my children to learn about or be forced to acknowledge that some sickos who are proud of this are "normal?"
S&M is not a gay thing. MANY straight people engage in BDSM activities.

Again, many of the outrageous and sexy floats are put up by businesses, bars and clubs out selling a product. Sexiness sells. It's why when I walk down the street in a major city, I can get handed a placard for a straight club that features a young lady in a short that doesn't cover her ass, and her breasts hanging out.

Your ignorance and hatred is blinding.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:34 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,338,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I taught high school for 28 years and never saw any girls kissing but back then the gay population wasn't as in the open as it is and will become even more with laws like this one.
I taught high school for 37 years and knew more than a few students who were so conflicted about their sexuality that their lives became a living misery. In the last decade or so of my teaching career ('93 -'03), life became easier for these kids because there was much more conversation about LGBT issues. Now, almost 10 years later, openly gay students are free to be -- which is exactly the way it should be.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:51 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Well, from now on they will talk less about people like Washington and more about some guy whose true accoplishments are limited, but the law forces teachers to mention him because he was gay.
No it doesn't, and you clearly do not understand what the bill is about... so if you're ignorant on the subject at hand, why are you even commenting? And do teachers not have time to mention somebody other than George Washington, or are history classes now limited to one famous person per year?

Old 01-03-2012, 03:02 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
No it doesn't, and you clearly do not understand what the bill is about... so if you're ignorant on the subject at hand, why are you even commenting? And do teachers not have time to mention somebody other than George Washington, or are history classes now limited to one famous person per year?
I didn't say there is time to talk only about Washington, but to mention someone only because he liked gay-sex just doesn't make any sense, especially when you know most parents do not want their kids be taught that gay-sex is normal and natural.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
I agree. And these Gay Pride Parades get defended as just big "parties." Well, not any party my family attends! Honestly, we keep hearing accusations that heterosexuals only focus on the sex aspect and not the love/companionship aspect of gay relationships, yet these sexual perversion parades are what the gays present themselves as being "proud" about; Gay Pride Parades! What about S & M is to be proud of and why in the world would I allow my children to learn about or be forced to acknowledge that some sickos who are proud of this are "normal?"
It is just a "big party," and as explained by another poster, the majority of the festivities are pretty tame - more tame than Mardi Gras, but I don't notice anyone using that celebration on which to base their opinions of the straight community.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I didn't say there is time to talk only about Washington, but to mention someone only because he liked gay-sex just doesn't make any sense, especially when you know most parents do not want their kids be taught that gay-sex is normal and natural.
So you think Harvey Milk and Oscar Wilde (among others) are only significant because of their sexual orientations? And who said anything about sex? Orientation and behavior are two different things, in case you weren't aware... and furthermore, mentioning that someone is gay doesn't imply anything about what is normal or natural (although homosexuality is actually both). If I mention I'm a redhead, does that mean I'm promoting gingerness as more normal than being a blond or brunette?

Old 01-03-2012, 03:25 PM

P.S. Please don't speak for other parents, or pretend to know what "most" want their kids to learn... maybe your comments are true where you live, but here in California MANY parents are supportive of this idea. I know lots of parents myself, and none share your prejudice against the gay community - nor do they care if their kids are taught it's a natural biological occurrence. And seeing as you live in Florida, I'm not sure why you're concerned about a CA bill, or why you seem to think you know what we want.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
So you think Harvey Milk and Oscar Wilde (among others) are only significant because of their sexual orientations? And who said anything about sex? Orientation and behavior are two different things, in case you weren't aware... and furthermore, mentioning that someone is gay doesn't imply anything about what is normal or natural (although homosexuality is actually both). If I mention I'm a redhead, does that mean I'm promoting gingerness as more normal than being a blond or brunette?
Yes, I'd say Milk is someone who did not accomplish much, and the only reason anyone would talk about him is because he was gay.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
P.S. Please don't speak for other parents, or pretend to know what "most" want their kids to learn... maybe your comments are true where you live, but here in California MANY parents are supportive of this idea. I know lots of parents myself, and none share your prejudice against the gay community - nor do they care if their kids are taught it's a natural biological occurrence. And seeing as you live in Florida, I'm not sure why you're concerned about a CA bill, or why you seem to think you know what we want.
People are already working to repeal it, so it is not just me.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 01-03-2012 at 04:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies