Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2011, 09:29 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
This is one reason we should not be giving to the illegals! We should be taking care of our own before dolling out monies and housing to illegals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Or jobs.
Are you speaking of actual ILLEGALS, or just brown-skinned people who speak Spanish? I work in an agricultural town in California, and the local farms are very careful about hiring workers who are here legally... but I bet some of the folks here would drive through our town, and immediately start crying "illegal" at every corner. And all of these comments about them living 10 to a house, finding work easily, sending money home to their family, not speaking English, etc? Also things I see with the legal Hispanic residents of this area, so again I wonder if you're lumping them in with the illegals. Hmmmmm, I really need to research the numbers on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 09:30 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,903,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Not every church is what you describe.

Maybe churches in the urban areas can do that but once you leave the city limits the money is not there for those "huge marble buildings".
I don't know because, where I live, once you leave the city, there is nothing at all. Only desert. I am a Seventh Day Adventist and we are not into all that. I don't go to worship service that often anyway.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:32 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,194,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
I do not disagree with that. The government and its meddling in the housing markets IS the reason we are in this recession. But that does not mean we should not try to help the victims it has claimed.
If the "victims" aren't educated so they don't do the same greedy thing they did the last time (buying a $400,000 home while making the minimum wage) this same scenario will occur again the next time a president comes along demanding everybody must qualify for a home...

Old 11-27-2011, 09:38 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,137,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Instead of trying to figure out what to do with the homeless, perhaps we should investigate and resolve why they became homeless in the first place.
I agree completely. Without examining the cause, we're just putting bandaids on what could be a more deadly condition.

Our economy is like a lottery which means the winners will be dwarfed by the losers. It's not a matter of working hard because if that was the case, we'd have far more successful people out there. It's something else. The system is skewed to favor those that stoop the lowest to achieve their success. We shame the homeless for failing but recoil at the sight of them because we know their faces could be ours in a heartbeat.

Fundamental changes need to occur to provide a foundation for every family or individual, a minimum standard of living, one that is basic enough to inspire them to do better for themselves. We provide a minimum wage, don't we? At the same time, we need to embrace the idea of "enough". We don't need more more more. Our middle class should encompass 80% or more of our society. We need to accept that if we're all in the middle and we all want better, we will raise ourselves to a level where "enough" is normal and satisfying. One person's work is not equal to one million others. That we allow such an imbalance today is a large part of the problem.

Enough. The Middle Way. Moderation. These are the missing elements of success for our nation. When you're with your family, do you want to be the best in your family, or do you want your family to be the best? If the latter, why can't that apply to the country? Why can't we state with pride that we are Americans and know that we share the wealth, the prosperity, the success by allowing all men to be created equal?

Old 11-27-2011, 09:40 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,966,662 times
plwhit, This downturn is the new normal. There are many who bought homes at what banks normally considered reasonable levels for their income, who than became some of the 8 million newly and largely permanently unemployed via the Great Recession through 2 administrations. The OP has made some superb points. I know it pains you that someone else might think of others, but the reality is most of the nation is not comprised of stone-hearted beasts.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:42 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,194,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
Enough. The Middle Way. Moderation. These are the missing elements of success for our nation. When you're with your family, do you want to be the best in your family, or do you want your family to be the best? If the latter, why can't that apply to the country? Why can't we state with pride that we are Americans and know that we share the wealth, the prosperity, the success by allowing all men to be created equal?
I guess by the politicians elected into office the past few decades it should give you a clear indication what you state is fantasy....

People mouth the words about compassion for their fellow man but their actions show they don't give a ****...

Many of the posters in this thread make me laugh, they act dumbfounded that homeless people exist...

"oh how can I help"

People care more about starving dogs, birds with broken wings and war wounded kids in Somalia then they do about the homeless in America...

Last edited by plwhit; 11-27-2011 at 09:52 PM..

Old 11-27-2011, 09:45 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Oh, and to answer the original question, I don't think there is one "perfect solution" to this problem - because we're talking about individual humans, each of which has their own story and reasons for being homeless. I grew up in the San Francisco area, lived in the city itself for about 5 years, and have worked in public libraries & schools for quite a while. Thus, I have come to know the homeless population fairly well.

I've met war veterans who suffered severe PTSD, and are unable to keep a job and/or stay sober as a result. I've also met mentally ill and addicted homeless folks who aren't war veterans, but again can't hold down a job because of these issues. Then you have your "hippie kids" who ran away, and choose to live on the streets to be free... finally, and probably least commonly, you've got the families who simply fell on hard times (and have no other family to help). There are other stories, I'm sure, but these are the typical groups I've observed over the years.

We simply cannot help everyone, especially those who don't WANT to be helped, so the only thing to do is to offer basic social services. If a homeless family or individual needs a hot meal, a temporary bed, a clean shower, or schooling for their children - they should be able to get it. Then we should offer low-cost extended services, such as job training/placement, permanent housing, computer access (libraries), financial counseling, mental health & addiction counseling, etc. If they don't want these things, let them do as they please and live on the streets. Don't know what else to say!

Old 11-27-2011, 09:47 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
While the program may have moved you, hoovervilles for the homeless have been around for some time and have been reported on since 2008.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:50 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,677,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Are you speaking of actual ILLEGALS, or just brown-skinned people who speak Spanish?
HUH?

It is a fact that the majority of illegals come from South of the border and speak Spanish but the OP said illegals.

Why are you making this a race issue? WHY?!

Old 11-27-2011, 10:08 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,479,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
I am a Republican. We are not all cruel and inhumane you know.
I was actually surprised when I read this. Your OP just didn't give the impression that you were. Just sayin'.

Great thread by the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies