Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2011, 10:17 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
i dont need you to play god.
I don't need you to expect me to pay for your bad decisions.
Having a kid while you can't care for yourself is a bad decision.
Why should society pay for that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 10:20 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
As I watched the segment on 60 minutes about this, I had a few ideas to help these people. One of the things that we should look into is maybe using shuttered military bases to house them. The bases could be used to house families and, at the very least, provide a safe place with sanitary facilities and laundry for those living on the streets in vehicles. Small apartments and/or RV type FEMA trailers could be erected to provide the families a safe space to live in where they would have access to shower, wash clothes and see a doctor if need be. The children could be provided a libarary and computer lab to do homework. Adults could spend days looking for work or training for another job while kids are in school. And it really would not cost that much because the government already owns the land. What ideas do you have to help the homeless family living in cars? Or do you think that they should not be helped at all?
I bet most patriotic, decent Americans would choose the option I bolded with the addition of 'not'.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:38 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,111,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Not surprising, you're missing the point.
Free sterilization would help.

I'd pay for someone to be sterilized.

Given many of your past postings regarding pregnant women and their babies I would not be surprised if you'd pay for everyone to be sterilized.

Interesting outrage for your bizarre interpretation of what I posted.
Are you stating that people who are homeless don't get pregnant and have kids?
I have no problem with temporarily mandating birth control; if you can't take care of yourself, you have no right to have kids on society.
Where did I say anything about losing their already born kids?

You're also stating that no one who is now homeless lied on their mortgage application? Really?
Talk about a bizarre interpretation!!! I did NOT state that homeless people don't get pregnant. I DID say that the majority of homeless people with children had those children before they were homeless. That happens to be the truth. I did NOT say that no one now homeless didn't lie on their mortgage application. I have no statistics to tell me if any did and neither do you.

You have made clear your outrage at contributing to the survival of children who are not your own. I wonder where is your outrage at contributing to the bail out of billionaires who rigged the system so that these families have lost jobs, homes, and their future?

Old 11-28-2011, 10:41 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
I'm not sure that any suburban town wants a glut of non-taxpayers. You are talking about a whole military base of non-property tax taxpayers who will use services but not be paying for them. You know, a city of a million can absorb them more easily that a town of say 20,000 - 75,000.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:42 AM

3,004 posts, read 3,886,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Title of Thread: What should be done with homeless family and kids?
This conversation about sterilization or mandatory birth control was a sub-topic within the thread. It was NOT a general response to the thread title question. You'd have to read through to see that.

I don't believe anyone said anything about tying someone to a table and sterilizing them forcibly. The idea is that before receiving government aid, one would have to submit to either sterilization or a semi-permanent form of contraception. That makes it a CHOICE. Knowing what I know about career welfare recipients, having worked with them in a medical setting, is that they don't actually want to have all these kids, they just have no problem solving ability or responsibility to prevent it. They do need someone to help them do the right thing for themselves. If it were made simple for them, and their welfare check were contingent upon it, they'd be making that choice readily. So much for your Nazi comparison. Btw, do you actually know anything about Nazism? Cause anyone who did would not be throwing that comparison around so recklessly.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:01 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times
Nazi's steralized folks too.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:13 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,781,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
This conversation about sterilization or mandatory birth control was a sub-topic within the thread. It was NOT a general response to the thread title question. You'd have to read through to see that.

I don't believe anyone said anything about tying someone to a table and sterilizing them forcibly. The idea is that before receiving government aid, one would have to submit to either sterilization or a semi-permanent form of contraception. That makes it a CHOICE. Knowing what I know about career welfare recipients, having worked with them in a medical setting, is that they don't actually want to have all these kids, they just have no problem solving ability or responsibility to prevent it. They do need someone to help them do the right thing for themselves. If it were made simple for them, and their welfare check were contingent upon it, they'd be making that choice readily. So much for your Nazi comparison. Btw, do you actually know anything about Nazism? Cause anyone who did would not be throwing that comparison around so recklessly.
I am quite familiar with the content of the thread. The topic had to do with homeless family and children and was probably addressing the current situation that has brought about the increase, not necessarily career welfare recipients which has been around

I don't recall anyone proposing a "choice". What not give men a choice as there are plenty of them who are career welfare recipients? Castration or a vasectomy.

Are you familiar with the sterlization experimentation by Nazis?? Suggesting that women should be sterilized as being the only solution is reckless.

Last edited by softblueyz; 11-28-2011 at 11:43 AM..

Old 11-28-2011, 11:19 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
We don't need a nation of readers, we need a nation of doers.

Git er done!!!
lol

Old 11-28-2011, 11:28 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I never fail to be astounded by the sheer lack of compassion voiced by many of these posters. I think the suggestion of rehabilitating abandoned military housing and similar properties for the use by families in these conditions is the proper solution to this problem. A society that punishes children for the failures of their parents is simply rotting from the inside and has very little future.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:33 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
~ Lets start at the top, get rid of all illegals

~ Stop all foreign aid

~ Get rid of the fraud and abuse in government handouts

~ Mandatory drug tests for all on welfare

~ Sterilization of all who have a history of homelessness
actually right with you on all, except sterilization...therapy or clinics maybe...which i doubt America can afford to build now.

Children didnt ask to be born in this screwed up economy- they are innocent bystanders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies