Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2011, 05:43 PM

1,187 posts, read 995,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Then you may want to inform the government to stop thinking they have the right to use taxpayer money that goes towards propping up other governments, to stop funding wars with taxpayer money, to stop providing welfare and free medical to illegal immigrants, maybe even stop their efforts to find out what the hell is going on in outer space and on the moon, because I, for one, haven't seen anything come out of it that has or will benefit planet earth or America and tell government that it should start taking care of Americans.
I think a good portion of the "right wingers" you're posting this towards would agree with you that we shouldn't be propping up other governments, and we should stop providing welfare and free medical to illegals.... but when you said "because I, for one, haven't seen anything come out of it that has or will benefit planet earth or America" I really think you need to watch some history channel or discovery channel a little bit.

here's some links to all the many many many things NASA has given the world!
Curiosity "10 NASA Inventions You Might Use Every Day"

Apollo 11 moon landing: top 15 Nasa inventions - Telegraph

NASA - Space Program Benefits: NASA?s Positive Impact on Society

There are a few overlaps on the list, but as you can see, there are a LOT of things NASA has come up with that benefit us all, from catscans to ear thermometers, from shoe insoles to memory foam (I love my bed!!). NASA has given us a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 07:26 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
Did anyone suggest imprisoning the parents, which would give them food and housing, though it would be the most expensive solution, and you still have to do something for the children.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:10 AM

8,893 posts, read 5,371,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post

I was homeless for several months....and when I asked for help from my family (not monetarily) they said "I don't think so"...Now 8 years later they are "so sorry they did not help".
Can I be nosy for a second and ask what changed their crappy attitude?

Old 11-30-2011, 12:21 AM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
HUH?

It is a fact that the majority of illegals come from South of the border and speak Spanish but the OP said illegals.

Why are you making this a race issue? WHY?!
Why? Because it always boils down to that, when talking about this particular subject... and if people are complaining about a certain subset, and blaming them for social issues, we have the right to know if their facts are accurate or fabricated/assumed. Good enough reasons for ya?

P.S. It's not a "race" thing, it's a nationality vs legal status thing - I'm not the one who can't tell the difference, so please don't simplify my comments to something so crude.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmforte View Post
How can they be legal Hispanic residents and live 10 to a house? What about housing laws and regulations? Many communities limit the number of residents certain homes and rentals can have. Having 10 people living in a one-bedroom rental or home is definitely in violation of some law somewhere.
Sooooo... if they violate a housing law, that means they have also violated immigration laws? How do you figure? My father's family lived 8 to a 1br apartment for a while, since his immediate family took in some needy relatives. Even before taking in those relatives, he & his sister shared the bedroom while his parents slept in the living room (on a pull-out couch). And they were all legal US Citizens, as my father is a second-generation Jewish New Yorker. Just sayin'.

Quote:
And no, we are talking about ILLEGALS.
Do you have statistics to back up these assertions, or is it just assumed based on Hispanic populations?

Old 11-30-2011, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmforte View Post
I actually agree with almost eveything here but the part in bold. Who are we? The tax-payer in the form of the government? If so, then no, we should not provide them permament housing. We should not have to pay their rent or mortgage inperpetuity. We should provide temporary housing until they find a job and have enough income and credit to afford a place on their own. We should help them, yes, but sooner or later we have to cut the cord.
True, and when I speak of "permanent housing" I'm referring more to low-income housing with income restrictions. Around here that's a very important service, seeing as the median rent is around $1200-1400/mo for even a tiny 1br apartment... so for a small family with two parents working minimum wage jobs, affording anything more than a studio is nearly impossible. Even on my fairly decent professional salary it's hard, so I can't imagine supporting a whole family on anything less! You could argue that our COL is the real problem, and I would agree with that 100% - but I don't see that changing anytime soon, so in the meantime I think affordable housing options are needed.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:09 AM

1,435 posts, read 1,553,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
True, and when I speak of "permanent housing" I'm referring more to low-income housing with income restrictions. Around here that's a very important service, seeing as the median rent is around $1200-1400/mo for even a tiny 1br apartment... so for a small family with two parents working minimum wage jobs, affording anything more than a studio is nearly impossible. Even on my fairly decent professional salary it's hard, so I can't imagine supporting a whole family on anything less! You could argue that our COL is the real problem, and I would agree with that 100% - but I don't see that changing anytime soon, so in the meantime I think affordable housing options are needed.
Yet another problem I see is an affordable place that a person can not afford to move into, ironically. I found a $500 a month studio, but they wanted first, last, and deposit-almost $1500 just to move in!! In to a $500 rental!! This is the norm in most parts of California. My step-dad and little brother make enough money to pay rent, but can't afford the move-in, the first, last, and deposit. This is why there are many kids who's parents do work but they live in motels: Making sure 'motel kids' don't go hungry - CNN.com

I would like to outlaw these exhorbitant move-in costs. Or set up a charity that helps people with them.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:13 AM

1,435 posts, read 1,553,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Sooooo... if they violate a housing law, that means they have also violated immigration laws? How do you figure?

Quote:
It's a better chance. Americans on average today are having smaller families

My father's family lived 8 to a 1br apartment for a while, since his immediate family took in some needy relatives. Even before taking in those relatives, he & his sister shared the bedroom while his parents slept in the living room (on a pull-out couch). And they were all legal US Citizens, as my father is a second-generation Jewish New Yorker. Just sayin'.

Quote:
And that was probably breaking a law, just sayin'. And did he rent or own? If he rented, did the landlord know about this?
Do you have statistics to back up these assertions, or is it just assumed based on Hispanic populations?
??? What assertions?

Old 11-30-2011, 02:10 AM

1,081 posts, read 916,078 times
Sure hate to see that military post after about 3 months...it would look like an ows camp on a windy day.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:29 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
With unremitting industrial automation and employee free production there will be fewer and fewer jobs for the lazy indigents to avoid. There will just be a lot more people out of work because there just is no work to be done. Then the question is how to provide the unemployed with enough money to buy the products of the automated factories.
This undisputed fact always makes me boggle.
People don't have jobs because of automation, I get that.
What I don't get is why people continue to have kids knowing that it's going to be worse for the children.

I boggle at this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies