Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 08:39 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
I find it interesting that everyone clamours to help families with kids, but if you are a single adult with no children or a married couple with no children, you can FORGET about any help at all. Singles and married couples with no children can't get ANY help from the government and are lucky if they can even get private charity help. Yet, those with kids can get Section 8, subsidized housing, food stamps, Medicaid, free lunch, Pell Grants, Welfare, free cell phones in some states.

Meanwhile, those without children can die for all anyone cares. There are homeless vets, elderly people, and other adults who have no children, but no one seems to care about them.
Someone is bound to mention that childfree people are entitled to THREE MONTHS worth of food stamps per year. So, it's only the remaining nine months that you are welcome to die on the street and nobody cares.

Many people actually breed so that they CAN be eligible for the litany of benefits you describe. How sad is it that children are used for nothing more than their "value" to garner entitlements from the government? Fortunately, for childfree people like myself, we don't have the constant, incessant BLEEDING of financial resources that children represent and are frequently able to get out of any distress ON OUR OWN without benefit of lame government programs.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 08:52 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Here is a follow-up I just read on this story.....very sad statistics in here.

The forgotten American homeless | MuniLand
When I was a child my parents worked hard and lived humbly. We did not buy new cars, we did not take vacations. When my father left home (at 16) he started working and saving. He was drafted into WWII (at 24) and put 1/2 of his paycheck in savings (the other 1/2 he sent home to his parents). He continued to save throughout his life and finally, when he was 49 years of age he purchased his first home. It was a 2-bedroom 1.5 bath house that was about 600 square feet.

The reason these children are homeless is because their parents spent every penny they earned and purchased a house that was too expensive.

If you are a poor money-manager it eventually bites you in the butt.

They (the parents) have NO ONE to blame but themselves. Too bad they didn't care enough about their children to give them a safe, secure future.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-01-2011, 11:09 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
This program is for veterans only.
That's patently unfair. Veterans apply for their military job. They are no more special or different from anyone else in the country.
Why is this support at Monmouth for homeless veterans only?

I don't know other than the military connection.

Not sure what you mean by "Veterans apply for their military job." I'm willing to bet that a good number of homeless veterans are Vietnam-era vets who were drafted. If we sent them into the meat-grinder and they came back with mental and physical issues, I do not think it's out of line to provide them with a roof and some food at a military base that's sitting empty until the future developers get their planning and financing together.

Also, as noted in a previous post, the closing of Fort Monmouth whacked the area pretty hard. In addition to the military leaving, 5,000 civilian jobs at the fort also disappeared. Pizza places, diners, barber shops, you name it have lost business with the closing of the fort, and some might not survive. Now take a few thousand homeless families with no money and piles of kids and put them on the base--they won't be spending any money, and a middle-class town of 14,000 that's just got an extra economic whack with the closing of the fort has to absorb them and pay to educate their children? Not gonna work.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:14 AM

2 posts, read 1,379 times
Financial assistance for single mothers - Government Grants for medical bills, emergency help, cancer patients and veterans!

How to apply and get financial assistance through government grants for single mothers, medical bills, cancer patients,emergency cash and veterans?
At one point, I was literally running pillars to post to seek some sort of financial assistance. In my pursuit to improve my financial health, I came across numerous financial assistance programs that are worth a shot by cash deprived single mothers, cancer patients, veterans and those looking to clear their medical bills or seeking help to deal with their financial emergencies.

Financial assistance for single mothers | Financial help for single mothers | Financial aid for single mothers | Government assistance for single mothers

Old 01-17-2012, 05:53 AM

313 posts, read 329,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I don't understand how illegals find a way to house and feed their families and send money home. Yet Americans can't. I don't think anything should be done for them.
That's because they often stick together and have a far better sense of community than most Americans. At one time Americans did the same and now many Americans can't even trust their neighbors or family.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:02 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
What to do with homeless childern and sheir parents? provide housing, food, cloths and education so they can grow up to be productive citizens. Pay for it with a 5% income tax in the top 1%. Simple.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:29 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvocatusCenturion View Post
That's because they often stick together and have a far better sense of community than most Americans. At one time Americans did the same and now many Americans can't even trust their neighbors or family.
They also live way below their means and multi generations live in the same home.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:41 AM

3,345 posts, read 3,074,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
~ Lets start at the top, get rid of all illegals

~ Stop all foreign aid

~ Get rid of the fraud and abuse in government handouts

~ Mandatory drug tests for all on welfare

~ Sterilization of all who have a history of homelessness
I would rather see sterilization of the bankers and corporations since they are the biggest recipients of welfare

Old 01-17-2012, 07:44 AM

3,345 posts, read 3,074,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Much homelessness can be attributed to the insistence of Presidential administrations, beginning with Bill Clinton, who insisted that people who could not afford homes be given home loans with poor credit, zero down, and adjustable rate mortgages.
Don't forget about epic levels of drug addiction here in America today. They are a huge group who are homeless also

Old 01-17-2012, 08:00 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,682,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Someone is bound to mention that childfree people are entitled to THREE MONTHS worth of food stamps per year. So, it's only the remaining nine months that you are welcome to die on the street and nobody cares.

Many people actually breed so that they CAN be eligible for the litany of benefits you describe. How sad is it that children are used for nothing more than their "value" to garner entitlements from the government? Fortunately, for childfree people like myself, we don't have the constant, incessant BLEEDING of financial resources that children represent and are frequently able to get out of any distress ON OUR OWN without benefit of lame government programs.

20yrsinBranson
Yeah, I know. Maybe we should perhaps end all child subsidies. I know one woman who is my age. She has been popping out babies ever since she was 16. She has no high school diploma and drops her kids off at her mom's house. She lives in a huge house(subsidized by the taxpayer), gets free food, healthcare, free education, doesn't pay any taxes, and lives a life far superior than I will ever dream of.

I really think that those who are poor should be encouraged to remain single and not have children. Birth control and condoms are far cheaper. I mean it is time for Americans to start taking some sort of responsibility for their own bad choices. If you can't take care of the kids you reproduce out of your own stupidity, giving the kid up for adoption is always a possibility. I have three friends struggling with infertility who are well off, would like to have children, but can't because there are no children to adopt. It is sad how the ones with infertility problems are always people who would make excellent parents are self-sufficient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies