Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 07:30 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,510,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
I bet cutting food stamps and public education would get these folks back on their feet again!
Or teaching them the many various ways to avoid conceiving another baby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 07:31 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,390,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Well we should first verify citizenship and send the rest home.
If they are illegals or residents who can't pay for themselves, then they need to leave and free up assets for Americans.
Dang straight! of course we should verify citizenship. Did not come here by legal channels, are not citizens of this Country, broke the law to get here, by by?

How bout for once, our Government start taking care of our own beofe all others!

Our homeless should come before any illegal.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:36 PM

37,069 posts, read 42,032,683 times
It's a catch-22 problem and everyone knows this. I HATE to use the stray cat analogy but it's the one that fits. When you start a program to take care of people you do it with the understanding that it's a forever thing. At no time in the future will it ever be ok to cut someone off and throw them into the street..again. There is no such beast as "temporary free" anything. Help needs to come via jobs and work and opportunity.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:37 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,469,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Not at all, what I'm saying is that writers know what to add or leave out of an article to pull the heart strings of the reader...

The world is a cruel place, the fittest survive the rest go six feet under...

These are children! And their families.

I tell ya CD has some good ones......
Sad testament to humanity.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:38 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,579,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gysmo View Post
wow! how big of a problem you think this is. first I think 60min. made this look like a much much bigger problem then it really is. I think most of those people just need to be pointed in the right direction, there is plenty of help out there!! don't need to do nothing more!
I have to disagree with you. I Pastor a church in an inner city area. Once a month we host an outreach lunch - today we had over 230 people come for a hot meal. The county provides social workers to help us and despite our ability to give, there needs are far to great for us to meet.

With such a huge need in the U.S. right now, being pointed in the right direction just means pointing them to another overworked, under-resourced agency that probably has run out of money and probably has no more beds to house them.

While I haven't seen the 60 minutes report, my guess it is doesn't even come close to highlighting the scope of the problem. Unless you work with and serve the homeless/those on the margins, you can't possibly comprehend how great the problem is.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:43 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,734,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Or teaching them the many various ways to avoid conceiving another baby.
Or getting the EPA out of the way of job creators. These folks just need to breathe a little more smog and coal particles. All that fresh air is making them lazy!

Old 11-27-2011, 07:45 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,385,909 times
I agree that there are not adequate programs to care for the homeless families. We could free up a substantial sum of money by cutting back on congressional perks. I am sure our elected officials want to help the less fortunate and would be happy to relinquish some expensive perks to help them.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:49 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,230,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post

I tell ya CD has some good ones......
Sad testament to humanity.
Are you just now finding out about homeless families ?
You know there's also homeless kids ? Yes, homeless teenagers who show up to school each day, rifle through the lost and found box for clothes, eat the free breakfast, lunch and snack and then find a place to sleep at night.
No, they are not part of a homeless family, they are homeless on their own.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:50 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,898,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
I've been on this forum for a while, so I have "learned" what the answer, apparently, should be:

It's their problem, not mine. Why should my tax dollars help these people? Let private charities take care of them. There, done.
Come on now! We are talking about kids here. Not the usual druggies and drunks that sleep on the street.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:50 PM

15,913 posts, read 20,138,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Yup, write about the children...

That will really pull at the heart, the poor children...

Works every time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies