Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 02:36 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,445,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
True in the US as well. And several European countries have more freedom of the press and more freedom of expression than the US does.

And the US locks up too many people in prison and overcriminalizes every facet of life.

Freedom to use drugs? Freedom to buy or sell sex for money as long as both parties are of legal age? Freedom in the bedroom? Freedom to marry whoever they want regardless of gender as long as both parties are of age?

I'd guess Denmark or Finland.
Interesting that your measure of a nation's freedom deals with drugs and sex.

Kinda base level if you ask me.

States law. You can marry who you want move to a state that allows you to marry the same sex. You can screw with whoever you want too go to a state that allows prostitution like Nevada. They regulate sex in Europe there are anti trafficking laws there but they don't get enforced very much. Create one freedom and it prohibits another.

Sex and drugs freedom - yeah just what we need - as if it's not already under your nose in front of your face here.

As far as books go - there aren't many that are banned in the USA.

Not the same for Austria/Germany. I own several books that would have me prohibited from entering their country if I took it along as reading material on my next flight.

USA has the MOST personal freedoms of ANY nation on the planet.

You learn that when you've been around the world enough times. And I couldn't give a fig for drugs and sex freedoms. Go to Thailand have at whatever you want. Don't bring that garbage here.

That's why airline travel was invented. all your sexual desires and drug desires can be fulfilled elsewhere on the planet.

It's quite easy.

Get a passport.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:38 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,587,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
That's funny you mention jails.

Don't do the crime you won't do the time.

It's quite easy to avoid prison. Don't be a criminal.
Not as easy as you think. American life has been overcriminalized to the point that the average American commits three felonies a day.

You, too?

You're (Probably) A Federal Criminal | Fox News

The Volokh Conspiracy - If You're Reading This, You're Probably a Federal Criminal:

(Note: Volokh.com is a conservative website, and Fox News isn't exactly liberal.)

The USA is one of the few countries - other than dictatorships - with a prison-industrial complex. America puts people in prison for offenses that would garner a fine and probation elsewhere. The USA is addicted to imprisoning people, especially imprisoning men. The War on Drugs is part of this. The overcriminalization of American life is bankrupting states.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Not as easy as you think. American life has been overcriminalized to the point that the average American commits three felonies a day.

You, too?

You're (Probably) A Federal Criminal | Fox News

The Volokh Conspiracy - If You're Reading This, You're Probably a Federal Criminal:

(Note: Volokh.com is a conservative website, and Fox News isn't exactly liberal.)

The USA is one of the few countries - other than dictatorships - with a prison-industrial complex. America puts people in prison for offenses that would garner a fine and probation elsewhere. The USA is addicted to imprisoning people, especially imprisoning men. The War on Drugs is part of this. The overcriminalization of American life is bankrupting states.
I don't care.

Like I said I hope they build bigger better jails to house more criminals.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:42 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,192,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I don't think so. There are shortcomings in EVERY society, but with India I felt that people treat others with a greater normalcy for being different (religion and even language wise) than they do here.
Religious violence in India - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-29-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:
I don't think so. There are shortcomings in EVERY society, but with India I felt that people treat others with a greater normalcy for being different (religion and even language wise) than they do here. I'm actually considering India for one of my retirement places. While it is easier to find European ex-pats there, I didn't really see much of American populace.

And being an avid meat eater, I should have had trouble finding places? But no, you get pretty much what you want in larger cities. In fact, I fondly remember the street food in a Muslim neighborhood in Mumbai, bustling with people and flavors at 10.30 pm at night, couple of hours before I checked in for my return flight. Smaller towns and especially pilgrimage centers as you mentioned may be a different story.
You will find very few Americans living in India on purpose.

The way they treat their poor/underclass is the true measure of that nation.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:45 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,804,560 times
Okay, so? Put religious zealots and politicians who use them together and you'd see that ANYWHERE.

Quote:

And how do we treat them here? Leaches, lazy bums...? Americans I found there were mostly involved in religious propaganda BTW. Tourists and ex-pats are mostly Australians and Europeans.

There are, of course, bad things ANYWHERE. But I do see greater independence for myself there. There's multitude of choices in virtually anything.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:47 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,677,590 times
Quote:

I interact with Sikh Indians from India and the UK on a regular basis. All of them while some what home sick are more than glad to be living in the USA verses India and the UK.

USA with all its shortcomings still the best place on the planet.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:48 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,810,896 times
Quote:
Among the countries I've visited... India.
Did they tell you they had a caste system there?

Old 11-29-2011, 02:49 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,956,918 times
Quote:
I don't care.

Like I said I hope they build bigger better jails to house more criminals.
So, what I can gather from your posts is that the USA has the "most freedom" because we lock up more of our own citizens. Also we're awesome because your collection of Nazi reading material is legal unlike those two random countries with histories of actual Nazism. Okay then.

You do realize there are countries that don't ban books or lock up 750 out of every 100,000 people?

Old 11-29-2011, 02:49 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,804,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
Did they tell you they had a caste system there?
Yes, what about it? What I saw of it, compared to perceptions here, is that Americans are lagging behind in their knowledge of the rest of the world. Not unlike the idea of "moral-less" Americans that many conservatives maintain there, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies