Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you feel about "Holiday" being used instead of "Christmas"?
It makes me sad. It's quite a shame what our society has become. 66 34.02%
I like it. 25 12.89%
I don't like it, but I can empathize why advertisers do it. 11 5.67%
I don't care either way. 92 47.42%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 09:58 PM

46,949 posts, read 25,979,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony45 View Post
As a German-American it kind of pisses me off what the idiots in this country are doing to the culture that my ancestors brought to this cultureless land.
Which is funny, as the German for Christmas ("Weihnacht") - as you know - directly translates to "Holy Night", no mention of Christ whatsoever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 10:08 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Who cares what anyone says? If you don't like it, say Christmas yourself. Nevermind what the next person says about the holiday.

Geez...are you people gonna keep beating this stupid horse year after year?
Yup, they sure are! I've been on this website for over 5 years, and every year it's the same stupid debate... always resulting in the same replies, same counter-arguments, and nothing being accomplished in the end. Oh wait, that would describe nearly every over-argued topic on this forum.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
I will use the word proudly whenever I choose. It IS Christmas time!! Merry Christmas!
Actually, Christmas isn't for another month, and Chanukah starts sooner this year... so on the first night of Chanukah (the 20th, I believe), will you still assert "It's Christmas time!!" Speaking of staying informed, you may want to do just that.

That being said, say whatever the heck you want - this Jew doesn't care one iota, even though these silly debates are making me hate Christmas. And I never hated the holiday before, so congratulations on accomplishing something! FYI, Christmas questions & comments were directed at me multiple times today, from people who know I'm Jewish. I understand when people who don't know me converse about Christmas, and couldn't care less about anyone putting up Christmas-specific decorations, signs, etc... but when you can't even recognize that a (known) JEWISH person might not celebrate, that's pure ignorance and/or disrespect in my opinion. I mean, really?

On a related note, we had this very debate at work last week, in regards to our library's "Holiday Party." And you'll never guess who was insisting it be called a Christmas Party instead - the two Jewish staff members (me & one other librarian), and a Palestinian Catholic staff member. I maintained it was condescending and inaccurate to call it a Holiday Party, when we're having Santa Claus, a Christmas tree lighting, and Christmas crafts projects. Why not just call it what it is, a Christmas celebration?? My boss was insistent, though, so we suggested adding Chanukah & Kwanzaa-related crafts/stories to cover the holidays.

Last edited by gizmo980; 11-29-2011 at 10:35 PM..

Old 11-29-2011, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Why do they feel the need to say "Holiday Shopping" instead of "Christmas Shopping"?
Because some people are shopping for Chanukah, Kwanzaa (?), Thanksgiving, football bowl games, New Year's Eve/Day, and everything else that happens between November & December... it's not just Christmas that occurs this time of year, in case you missed the memo. As somebody who doesn't shop for Christmas, I don't really care but do appreciate the gesture and recognition that we're shopping too. Not to mention, I might incorrectly assume stores ONLY carry Christmas cards & items, if they are so specific in mentioning that one holiday. If Hallmark advertised "We have thousands of CHRISTMAS cards in stock," I might subconsciously go elsewhere to find a good Chanukah card selection.

Quote:
Why do they feel the need to say "Holiday presents" instead of "Christmas presents"?
See above.

Quote:
Why do they feel the need to say "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas"?
See above.

Quote:
Why do they feel the need to say "Holiday lights" instead of "Christmas lights"?
Now that one is silly, because Christmas is pretty much the only light-decorating holiday - except maybe Halloween, but that's over before this holiday nonsense begins.

Do you understand it now? If not, here are some more distinctions between when it's appropriate to use holiday vs Christmas (or any other specific holiday)...

Pointy green tree with lights & ornaments = Christmas tree
Overall selection of cards at Hallmark = Holiday cards
Party in early-mid December with people of varying beliefs who will attend = Holiday party
Red and green banner with Santa Claus or a Nativity scene = Christmas decoration
"8 Crazy Nights" = Chanukah movie
"Miracle on 34th Street" = Christmas movie
Concert featuring ONLY Christmas songs (Jingle Bells, All I Want for Christmas, It Came upon a Midnight Clear, etc) = Christmas concert
Concert featuring a variety of songs, including a few from Chanukah, Auld Lang Syne, and traditional African songs = Holiday concert.

So while nobody should have to use one word over another, sometimes "Holiday" (or Christmas) is not only more considerate but also more accurate. Okay, is that enough for everyone, or is this debate going to continue for another 5 years?? Sadly, I'm sure the latter is my answer.

Last edited by gizmo980; 11-29-2011 at 10:37 PM..

Old 11-29-2011, 10:21 PM

535 posts, read 585,732 times
lunatic liberals are always the one playing these stupid word games... they ruined Columbus day and are almost done getting rid of Christmas day, once their finally finished, there will be no more holidays , which means no extra time off from working at their beloved corporations that they help out by bailing out with stimulus funds and writing thousands of pages of legislation to keep them growing and stopping any competition. Drown the innocence Feed the Hippo is the libs motto.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:27 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,597,926 times
I'm glad it is replaced. Christmas time is geared more toward materialistic items and not the religious theme it should be.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:33 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotwhoyouthinkiam View Post
lunatic liberals are always the one playing these stupid word games... they ruined Columbus day and are almost done getting rid of Christmas day, once their finally finished, there will be no more holidays , which means no extra time off from working at their beloved corporations that they help out by bailing out with stimulus funds and writing thousands of pages of legislation to keep them growing and stopping any competition. Drown the innocence Feed the Hippo is the libs motto.
Ahh yes lets make up things while we are at it.......

Old 11-29-2011, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
I'm glad it is replaced. Christmas time is geared more toward materialistic items and not the religious theme it should be.
So true... I find it both sad and hilarious when people cry about "Christmas is being ruined!" as they pepper-spray each other to save a few dollars on useless crap at Wal-Mart. If nothing else, I'm glad to at least be spared all of that shopping BS.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:40 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,918,129 times
because not everyone is christian and not everyone celebrates christmas.. there are other religious holidays this time of year...

ALSO, consider.. "happy holidays" generally encompasses thanksgiving AND christmas AND new years as they're just weeks apart...

christians need to stop getting so uptight about their stuff... it really is a non-issue
non christians say merry christmas and they don't even believe in jesus...

hell I don't believe in jesus crap.. but I tell people merry christmas when it's christmas!

shut up already.. jesus christ

Old 11-29-2011, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
shut up already.. jesus christ
LMAO... I think that about sums up this WHOLE ridiculous issue! Don't they have bigger things to worry about? One of my closest friends lost her job last week, and doesn't know how she'll give her 4 daughters a Christmas this year, let alone pay the rent. Do you think she cares if a store says "Happy Holidays" instead? Doubt it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies