Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you feel about "Holiday" being used instead of "Christmas"?
It makes me sad. It's quite a shame what our society has become. 66 34.02%
I like it. 25 12.89%
I don't like it, but I can empathize why advertisers do it. 11 5.67%
I don't care either way. 92 47.42%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 12:33 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
the amount of godless sneering and jeering hatred of a simple religious/family all american holiday on this thread is numbing. no wonder the mideast calls us the great satan.
in just 50 short years this has happened. u came a long way baby, but in which direction?
Other countries are much more atheist than the US, and are not referred to as Satan by anyone. Could it be that it's more about US foreign politics?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 12:41 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,126,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
I don't know what it is, but it seems that nearly every television or radio commercial, as well as most print advertisements now omit the word Christmas, in favor of "Holiday". It's downright absurd.

Why are they doing this?

Why do they feel the need to say "Holiday Shopping" instead of "Christmas Shopping"?

Why do they feel the need to say "Holiday presents" instead of "Christmas presents"?

Why do they feel the need to say "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas"?

Why do they feel the need to say "Holiday lights" instead of "Christmas lights"?

What has happened to this society, that it would act in such a peculiar manner? I'm sure that we're all old enough to remember that everything was Christmas and not "holiday". It was only about ten to fifteen years ago. It would have been considered odd to use "holiday" in the context it is now being used?

Is the word "Christmas" considered bad? That's the way advertisers are acting. It makes them seem very weak-minded and pathetic, frankly, that they'd omit the word Christmas, something very wholesome and embedded within our culture, and act as though it is not proper to use. After all, over ninety percent of the population celebrates Christmas.

By the way, please vote in the poll about how you feel.
It's not considered "bad." It's just bad marketing to limit your appeal to one religion.

It's not even December and here comes the onslaught of whiny fundamentalist threads about the imaginary war on Christmas.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:46 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
the amount of godless sneering and jeering hatred of a simple religious/family all american holiday on this thread is numbing. no wonder the mideast calls us the great satan.
in just 50 short years this has happened. u came a long way baby, but in which direction?
Happy Hannukkah to you!

Old 11-30-2011, 12:59 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
... and I will be happy to see Christmas trees, listen to wonderful Christmas music, and see people enjoying the Christmas season.
One week may be, but not for 4 weeks.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:02 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
One week may be, but not for 4 weeks.
Yes, every year I feel sorry for those poor employees who have to endure jingle bells and rudolph for a month or so

Old 11-30-2011, 01:05 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
I don't know what it is, but it seems that nearly every television or radio commercial, as well as most print advertisements now omit the word Christmas, in favor of "Holiday". It's downright absurd.
You don't know what it is? Then I'm glad I happened to see this thread, so I could stop by and help out...

It's because--and hold onto your hat if you've got one, because this has the potential to be quite radical--not everyone in the United States celebrates Christmas. But the business community doesn't want those who don't to feel excluded from the shopping mania. So it's the 'holiday season.'

People who think that there's still some sort of religious meaning in the occasion probably don't care much for this attitude. But, as they say in another language, c'est la vie.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:58 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
What has happened to this society, that it would act in such a peculiar manner?
Perhaps this society is growing up and maturing.

I find it refreshingly both obtuse and amusing that you complain so bitterly that your X-Mas has been co-opted into the secular "Holiday."

I can imagine others expressing the same sentiments when you co-opted their pagan ritual of the Yule Season into "Christmas."

Old 11-30-2011, 01:59 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
I find it refreshingly both obtuse and amusing that you complain so bitterly that your X-Mas has been co-opted into the secular "Holiday."
Regardless of what you call it, Christmas is not a secular holiday.

Old 11-30-2011, 02:09 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Regardless of what you call it, Christmas is not a secular holiday.
But "holidays" isn't just about Christmas either. As I said earlier, my take on "holidays" begins with Thanksgiving and ends with New Year. I'm not going to go wishing people "Merry Christmas" on Thanksgiving or on New Year.

"Happy Holidays" is an excellent way to be inclusive of all festivities, secular (Thanksgiving, New Year, Kwanzaa) or otherwise (Hannukkah, Christmas).

Old 11-30-2011, 02:30 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:

Why are they doing this?

Why do they feel the need to say "Holiday Shopping" instead of "Christmas Shopping"?

Why do they feel the need to say "Holiday presents" instead of "Christmas presents"?

Why do they feel the need to say "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas"?

Why do they feel the need to say "Holiday lights" instead of "Christmas lights"?

What has happened to this society, that it would act in such a peculiar manner? I'm sure that we're all old enough to remember that everything was Christmas and not "holiday". It was only about ten to fifteen years ago. It would have been considered odd to use "holiday" in the context it is now being used?

Is the word "Christmas" considered bad? That's the way advertisers are acting. It makes them seem very weak-minded and pathetic, frankly, that they'd omit the word Christmas, something very wholesome and embedded within our culture, and act as though it is not proper to use. After all, over ninety percent of the population celebrates Christmas.

By the way, please vote in the poll about how you feel.

Question: ever see the movie "Holiday Inn?" Made in 1942, which by my reckoning means it is 69 years old. Starred Fred Astaire and Bing Crosby. Featured a song called..."Happy Holidays" written by Irving Berlin.
Also featured a song called "White Christmas."

The point is that saying 'Happy Holidays' is not a recent phenomenon despite all of the manufactured outrage to the contrary.
I am over fifty and I've heard people say 'Happy Holidays' all of my life.
Perhaps it is because I grew up in NYC where some sizable portion of the population is not Christian, and we recognized the fact that there is more than just one 'holiday' in December. Or perhaps that the 'holiday' season started with Thanksgiving and extended through New Year's Day.
Whatever the reason, it seems to me that people were a whole heck of lot more rational when I was a kid than they are now.

Oh, well, 'tis the season for silly threads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies