Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you feel about "Holiday" being used instead of "Christmas"?
It makes me sad. It's quite a shame what our society has become. 66 34.02%
I like it. 25 12.89%
I don't like it, but I can empathize why advertisers do it. 11 5.67%
I don't care either way. 92 47.42%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 07:14 AM

5,503 posts, read 7,332,984 times

Advertisements

Retailers figure that Christians will buy no matter what they call Christmas, but some non-Christians that are offended may not buy. Christians should put the pressure on the "holiday" stores and only shop in the "Christmas" stores.
My town wanted to call our tree a holiday tree. Our committee suggested we then call the menorah, holiday candles. Suddenly Christmas tree was ok!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 07:19 AM

2,294 posts, read 2,661,304 times
I'm a liberal atheist and I couldn't care less what people say. Merry Christmas, happy holidays, whatever. I'm still friendly to people and greet them accordingly. I certainly don't get offended when someone says "merry Christmas." Only an idiot would. I also don't get offended when someone says "happy holidays." Only an idiot would.

Get over this nonsense.

Talk about a made up "controversy..."

Old 12-01-2011, 07:20 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
The January 1 New Year is not secular, it is the Christian celebration of the circumcision of Jesus of Nazareth.
Happy Circumcision Day?

Quote:
Including Chanukah as part of "Happy Holidays", which is code for "Happy Christian Holidays", is an after thought.
Well, Christmas itself is an afterthought. But hey, be my guest if you go around wishing "Merry Christmas" to Jews on Hanukkah, or to everybody on Thanksgiving or New Year.

Quote:
That makes a lot of religious people very sad.
Such people were born to be sad.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:25 AM

1,022 posts, read 2,551,185 times
Quote:
The day off may belong to everybody, but the ceremonial symbols (Christmas tree, Santa Claus and Christmas songs) do not.
Maybe I'm not getting you. What's more secular than Christmas trees, Santa Claus, and most Christmas songs?

Old 12-01-2011, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
Retailers figure that Christians will buy no matter what they call Christmas, but some non-Christians that are offended may not buy.
Personally, I prefer to buy gift cards that go on a discount ($25 card for $20, for example), or look for exceptional deals. Buying in the name of Christmas or Black Friday or Cyber Mondays is the perfect treatment that people with blinders so very well deserve. The best time to buy? Usually after Christmas.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:30 AM

656 posts, read 648,413 times
You're supposed to substitute "holiday" because it's the rigth thing to do. It's insensitive to our Jewish and Hindu neighbors to use "Xmas". Even when I'm around other Christians I still use holiday so as not to slip up later.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujulu View Post
You're supposed to substitute "holiday" because it's the rigth thing to do. It's insensitive to our Jewish and Hindu neighbors to use "Xmas". Even when I'm around other Christians I still use holiday so as not to slip up later.
I don't agree with that. I try to be inclusive when possible. When I'm sure the person is a Christian, I see no harm in wishing him/her a Merry Christmas (if I were wishing only for a day), or Happy Holidays for a great season of festivities.

Now if these conservative minds want to just wish for a day, the only thing they need to stop doing is complaining about others. Clearly, they want everybody to ride their boat.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:05 AM

912 posts, read 1,331,869 times
I work in retail and I have learned it is best not to assume everyone celebrates Christmas .I have made the mistake in times past to say ,"Merry Christmas" when the person did not celebrate the holiday.If it is obvious ,then say it .If not say "happy holiday ".

Old 12-01-2011, 08:10 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,683,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardianlady View Post
If it is obvious ,then say it .If not say "happy holiday ".
But, "Happy Holidays" is code for "Happy Christian Holidays".

Old 12-01-2011, 08:11 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,129,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
lots and lots of law suits. u can thank ACLU, a monster which is just the opposite of it's name.
The ACLU has no means of conducting Establishment clause litigation on private entities.

You are clueless.

The ACLU Fights for Christians
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies