Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you feel about "Holiday" being used instead of "Christmas"?
It makes me sad. It's quite a shame what our society has become. 66 34.02%
I like it. 25 12.89%
I don't like it, but I can empathize why advertisers do it. 11 5.67%
I don't care either way. 92 47.42%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 06:08 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,217,839 times

Advertisements

I don't know what it is, but it seems that nearly every television or radio commercial, as well as most print advertisements now omit the word Christmas, in favor of "Holiday". It's downright absurd.

Why are they doing this?

Why do they feel the need to say "Holiday Shopping" instead of "Christmas Shopping"?

Why do they feel the need to say "Holiday presents" instead of "Christmas presents"?

Why do they feel the need to say "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas"?

Why do they feel the need to say "Holiday lights" instead of "Christmas lights"?

What has happened to this society, that it would act in such a peculiar manner? I'm sure that we're all old enough to remember that everything was Christmas and not "holiday". It was only about ten to fifteen years ago. It would have been considered odd to use "holiday" in the context it is now being used?

Is the word "Christmas" considered bad? That's the way advertisers are acting. It makes them seem very weak-minded and pathetic, frankly, that they'd omit the word Christmas, something very wholesome and embedded within our culture, and act as though it is not proper to use. After all, over ninety percent of the population celebrates Christmas.

By the way, please vote in the poll about how you feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 06:14 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,442,508 times
Because people get all weirded out over the stupidest damn things. I will say Christmas all i want, and my friends can say the same to me. LITTLE things are not worth sweating over. Don't want to hear the word Christmas, get ear plugs.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:15 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,782,576 times
Among people with a brain, it didn't.

------------------------------------------------------

Gov. Scott Walker refuses to call Wisconsin's Christmas tree anything else - National Conservative | Examiner.com

[LEFT]Gov. Scott Walker refuses to call Wisconsin's Christmas tree anything else

Wisconsin’s controversial politician, Gov. Scott Walker, is not bending to the Madison-based Freedom from Religion Foundation’s opposition to calling a Christmas tree a Christmas tree. Since 1986, the tree has been called a holiday tree to appease the Foundation’s complaint that calling a Christmas tree a Christmas tree is offensive to non-religious persons. Furthermore, the Foundation believes the term Christmas tree gives a governmental endorsement of Christianity which they claim violates separation of church and state.

Yet, Walker is calling the huge, decorated tree with a star atop - which is located in the center of Wisconsin’s Capitol Rotunda in Madison - what he says it most obviously is: a Christmas tree.

The state's Christmas tree will be on display until January 2013.

[/LEFT]

Old 11-29-2011, 06:16 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
lots and lots of law suits. u can thank ACLU, a monster which is just the opposite of it's name.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:20 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Who cares what anyone says? If you don't like it, say Christmas yourself. Nevermind what the next person says about the holiday.

Geez...are you people gonna keep beating this stupid horse year after year?

Old 11-29-2011, 06:21 PM

4,209 posts, read 3,589,177 times
Because the *******s think they are in charge and can cry foul about anyone using the word Christmas.

I will use the word proudly whenever I choose. It IS Christmas time!! Merry Christmas! Don't like it? Sorry for you.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:21 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,871,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
I don't know what it is, but it seems that nearly every television or radio commercial, as well as most print advertisements now omit the word Christmas, in favor of "Holiday". It's downright absurd.
Bill O'Reilly, is that you? Is it time for the annual "War on Christmas" rant already?

To answer your question, it's a nefarious plot by the Communist Liberals to destroy Christmas. EVERYBODY know that!

You said it yourself, this thread is downright absurd.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:22 PM

1,332 posts, read 994,661 times
the left windings have decided that anything related to Christianity is offensive. They side with atheists and muslims who are offended by the name of GOD or Jesus Christ. They go out of their way to 'accomodate' those people, yet they don't seem to care about the Christians being offended at all. The reason is that they identify Christians with the right wing political movement....their sworn enemy.

Sad isn't it? That they could try to destroy such a rich and wonderful tradition as CHRISTMAS??

Old 11-29-2011, 06:24 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall_Rep View Post
the left windings have decided that anything related to Christianity is offensive. They side with atheists and muslims who are offended by the name of GOD or Jesus Christ. They go out of their way to 'accomodate' those people, yet they don't seem to care about the Christians being offended at all. The reason is that they identify Christians with the right wing political movement....their sworn enemy.

Sad isn't it? That they could try to destroy such a rich and wonderful tradition as CHRISTMAS??
Rich and wonderful tradition?

No. More like a great commercial tradition for retailers. No one gives a damn about Christ.

Buncha phony's.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:31 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,099,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
lots and lots of law suits. u can thank ACLU, a monster which is just the opposite of it's name.
Oh really. Name a single one of these ACLU anti-Christmas language lawsuits if you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies